Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

chaundy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jan 2007, 11:55 am

Hi everyone.

I am a 20 year old male from the UK and over the past 6 months or so, since finding out about aspergers syndrome i have been reading into it alot, spending quite a bit of time on these forums and other sites just trying to find out lots of information about it. Everything i have found out leads me to believe tha i have aspergers syndrome as it explains alot about what has happened over the rest of my life.

For example i have always been seen as being shy or as school reports put it lacking in confidence, but i have always been quite integlligent and am currently in the 3rd year of a Computing degree and doing quite well. I also have a part time job and i can see where the social problems have impacted before with colleagues at work, but the aspergers seems to have helped me as i am able to remember all sorts of information about the products.

I have taken the aspergers syndrome tests and come out as very likely being an aspie but i really need judgement from others before i try and work out if there will be any real benefit to me discussing this with a doctor or trying to get a diagnosis.

THanks

Chaundy

andy1976uk
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 12:09 pm

Hi chaundy, welcome to WP!

About your question, the determining factor is whether or not you get sarcasm and irony....

Sorry, bad joke....http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=419895&highlight=sarcasm#419895

IMO, it's really impossible to say for sure without going for a professional assessment. In my case it took several hours including a lengthy interview with my parents. In your case, I would veer towards "yes", but that's just my personal opinion, I'm not a medical professional.

amerikasend
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jan 2007, 12:30 pm

You probably shouldn't obsess over if you have aspergers or not. Not much doctors can do for you. It's just some label they stick on you, I believe.

andy1976uk
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 12:40 pm

amerikasend wrote:
You probably shouldn't obsess over if you have aspergers or not. Not much doctors can do for you. It's just some label they stick on you, I believe.

In the UK he could be entitled to financial support and access to support groups, CBT and perhaps other things.

amerikasend
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jan 2007, 12:56 pm

andy1976uk wrote:
In the UK he could be entitled to financial support and access to support groups, CBT and perhaps other things.

Oh ya, I didn't know that. I don't know if the USA has something like that. I highly doubt it that the USA does.

andy1976uk
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 1:16 pm

amerikasend wrote:
andy1976uk wrote:

Oh ya, I didn't know that. I don't know if the USA has something like that. I highly doubt it that the USA does.

I've noticed there's a few people on WP, who are in the US, that have tried to apply for SSI,
but I believe it's extremely difficult to qualify for and not all that generous. :( Not an expert though. :)

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 2:23 pm

Hi chaundy, welcome to WP :)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 8:01 pm

Welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 8:18 pm

amerikasend wrote:

What he said.

andy1976uk
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 2:47 pm

Kosmonaut wrote:
amerikasend wrote:

What he said.