Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

alimay
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Oct 2013, 2:40 am

Hi everyone.

My name is Alison and I'm the NT mother of an active, happy two-and-a-half year old girl with a significant speech delay -- she doesn't talk at all, although she does understand some of what I say (especially if it's something she wants). She also is socially delayed; while she makes good eye contact with me and her father, she tends to ignore others.

We don't have a diagnosis as yet, and honestly I'm in two minds as to whether it is autism or not. At first I didn't suspect it at all, because she was so good at eye contact with me, but having read up it's beoming clear that this assumption is false, and that often autistic children often CAN make eye-contact with others, particularly those they know well.

So basically that's why I'm here: to learn more about autism, to enable me to support my daughter in whatever way she needs. Hopefully I can also participate in other ways, by offering an NT perspective, but my primary motive is to LEARN.

Thanks for reading.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 2:42 am

Welcome to Wrong Plant. You're most welcome here.

sonataform
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Oct 2013, 7:43 am

welcome! I am very pleased to see that parents are very interested in understanding autism/spectrum issues :)

alimay
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Oct 2013, 8:12 am

Thanks for the welcome. I've just managed to get her settled in bed for a nap -- phew. Time for a bite to eat.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 8:23 am

Welcome Alison :)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 3:53 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!