Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Sep 2023, 10:01 pm

Hi,
My name is Christine and I was diagnosed with Autism as well as PTSD, OCD, GAD, ADHD, Social Anxiety, to name a few in mid 2020. I currently work as a full time aide for special education kids between the kids of pre-k to 2nd grade. I've always been very responsible for years because my brothers had so many issues such as mental health and addiction issues and not being able to take care of their own kids. And not every night but every couple of nights I might have a few drinks hard liquor and I don't get wasted, but yet my sister just talked to me this evening because she says shes worried about me drinking because im on 2 40 mg of prozac and because my job can be stressful. While i'm grateful they care, it frustrates me because they all got they're college experience and I only went to college an hour away and would come back home and help take care of my nieces and nephews and was just worried about passing my classes and graduating my classes. So, my sister said she would rather have me drink in front of people than myself but I like being by myself because I've always liked my personal time to think about stuff. Yet it feels like such a ironic statement because they've all got to live their lives and I had to put mine on hold and help take care of kids that aren't mine. I mean I know they're intentions are well but sometimes to me it feels a little hypocritical and ironic. Any advice??

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2023, 10:29 pm

Welcome to wrongplanet

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2023, 10:55 pm

christinejarvis21 wrote:
My name is Christine and I was diagnosed with Autism as well as PTSD, OCD, GAD, ADHD, Social Anxiety, to name a few in mid 2020. I currently work as a full time aide for special education kids between the kids of pre-k to 2nd grade. I've always been very responsible for years because my brothers had so many issues such as mental health and addiction issues and not being able to take care of their own kids. And not every night but every couple of nights I might have a few drinks hard liquor and I don't get wasted, but yet my sister just talked to me this evening because she says shes worried about me drinking because im on 2 40 mg of prozac and because my job can be stressful. While i'm grateful they care, it frustrates me because they all got they're college experience and I only went to college an hour away and would come back home and help take care of my nieces and nephews and was just worried about passing my classes and graduating my classes. So, my sister said she would rather have me drink in front of people than myself but I like being by myself because I've always liked my personal time to think about stuff. Yet it feels like such a ironic statement because they've all got to live their lives and I had to put mine on hold and help take care of kids that aren't mine. I mean I know they're intentions are well but sometimes to me it feels a little hypocritical and ironic. Any advice??
Hello, and welcome to WP!

It seems that you do, indeed, have a lot of stress in your working and personal life, and "drinking to unwind" can be an acceptable thing to do, if it's still under your control.

I would guess that a doctor would say that "a few drinks" "every couple of nights" might be excessive.
Have you tried keeping an accurate count of drinks per week?
Body weight factors in, too, as does sex.
What does the drug info for Prozac say about using it with alcohol?
Please take any interaction warnings in the drug instructions SERIOUSLY.

While drinking alone may often be seen as a sign of a developing issue with alcohol, it sounds from your description that you enjoy the time alone to relax and get a little "altered".

Being autistic, too, I hear ya regarding how what we do alone that might normally be considered a warning sign is just what we sometimes "need" to do, to mentally recharge.

What happens when you decide not to drink for a couple days, or a week, or longer?
Have you tried this experiment? If not, please do it soon, to see "where you're at" now, rather than just assuming "you can quit whenever you want to".
You may find that you've already become used to the habit, and find quitting a challenge.

You may consider trying to substitute something else for the alcohol (gradually), to act as an "aid to your self-contemplation alone time".

I'm not necessarily going to suggest something else that affects your mental state, as this can be tricky to do without just replacing one risk for another. Perhaps an activity, food or something else that can become a relaxing "ritual" that will replace the alcohol?

Darron

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Sep 2023, 11:04 pm

I guess I described it wrong. It's more like a 4 sips of like 3 different types of liquor.

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Sep 2023, 11:07 pm

At most 8 small sips of 3 different types of liquor. So, it's not even like a full cup of something to drink.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2023, 11:38 pm

Hiya CJ21 :) a person's gotta know their limitations, and as long as you know your own limitations you are prolly safe no matter what anybody else thinks. i for decades wished desperately that i could drown my sorrows in john barleycorn or his brothers, but my body has built-in antabuse or something that makes me unable to swallow barely a sip of the stuff with much stomach upset. i sorta wish i didn't have that limitation.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2023, 1:19 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. It looks like you have been posting for awhile now.
You wrote that you have "PTSD, OCD, GAD, ADHD, Social Anxiety, to name a few".
In my case I have what is called Asperger's Syndrome. I am old school and I am 74 years old. Back when I grew up they didn't really give people names for their uniqueness. I just lived my life as myself and I did fine.

So let see, you feel like you are begin treated as second rate. That sounds about right. I think I have always been treated as second rate, but I never let it slow me down.

You talked about drinking. I am not sure this is a good idea. This is because you are working in a school as a teacher. Generally teachers are expected to work at a higher standard. Otherwise you might lose your job. That would be bad.
Anther poster wrote that your medication and alcohol may not mix well. If so that is another reason why you might need to exercise a little caution.

You ended by asking for advice. I am very different then many people. I have unique skills but I also have several flaws. Most people have +s and -s. But many on this forum have ++s and --s. And some of us have +++++s and -----s. The key to success is to use your +s to counteract your -s. If you can learn how to do this, you will balance out the problems you face in life and enjoy your life. Try to figure out your unique skills and grow them, make them bigger and stronger. And live a good life.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2023, 3:14 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2023, 8:42 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you find lots of good reasons to visit here.

I'm not qualified to talk about how much alcohol is OK. If 911, the police, or a doctor is involved than it's too much.

But as far as alcohol and any prescriptions you have...I think going with opinions on WP is inappropriate, talk to your doctor.

But talk to WP for other stuff, even if we can't give authoritative medical advice. Ask us stuff we can answer. I like the posts on :
► Topical Discussion › Television, Film, and Video > What movies have you seen recently?
► Topical Discussion › Television, Film, and Video > TV Episodes You Have Just Watched

ShamanQueen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Sep 2023, 1:41 am

Hey welcom to WP, I am elena, I have PTSD and autism, as well as ADHD. I can relate to what you have if you want you can find me wherever I make post so I hope to hear from you soon I would like to connect.