Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

MischaPeters
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Mar 2014, 11:20 pm

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a few days trying to get up the nerve to say hello. I'm officially undiagnosed, but I have done much searching, test-taking, and talking with my primary care doctor (the only doc I've seen voluntarily more than twice other than my OB-GYN in my life). She agrees with my self-assessment, and also agrees that in my area of the US, it will be almost impossible and very expensive to get an adult diagnosis, and essentially the official stamp will serve me no purpose. We are proceeding as if I am diagnosed, however, and she's monitoring me to get my diet in order, and get me off meds for depression, anxiety and insomnia that are helping very little anyway.

I've always known there was something different about me, from when I was a young child all the way into adulthood. I've developed many coping mechanisms, and I can function pretty well in the work force, but my personal life has many challenges. I am hoping that I can learn more about why I do what I do in the coming years, and maybe finally find some peace in being who I am.

170/200 AS 55/200 NT

TrippyPhysics
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Mar 2014, 8:47 am

Hey! welcome to WP, try asking your doctor about taking supplements, alot of people with autistic spectrum disorder have defiencies and could help with your anxiety an other obstacles, try takin melatonin before you sleep, sometimes people with autism have no melatonin, which is a sort of hormone that regulates and helps you fall asleep, i alwys knew something was way different about me to, but always think positive about things, a good comes out of every bad, i have many personal and other problems like social anxiety and sensory processing problems and all other stomach problems, it all comes with the autism package, you will find your way you just have to be patient, do you have any sensory issues or maybe intense interest that strikes your time? when you were a child did you line toys up instead of play with them? this may contribute to your future diagnosis, cheers'

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2014, 3:56 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

MischaPeters
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Mar 2014, 4:46 pm

TrippyPhysics wrote:
Hey! welcome to WP, try asking your doctor about taking supplements, alot of people with autistic spectrum disorder have defiencies and could help with your anxiety an other obstacles, try takin melatonin before you sleep, sometimes people with autism have no melatonin, which is a sort of hormone that regulates and helps you fall asleep, i alwys knew something was way different about me to, but always think positive about things, a good comes out of every bad, i have many personal and other problems like social anxiety and sensory processing problems and all other stomach problems, it all comes with the autism package, you will find your way you just have to be patient, do you have any sensory issues or maybe intense interest that strikes your time? when you were a child did you line toys up instead of play with them? this may contribute to your future diagnosis, cheers'

Thanks, TrippyPhysics, I'll talk to my doc about those. I'm currently taking Zoloft and trazodone for the symptoms, but she wants me to get away from those meds.

What brought me to the Aspie info was extreme noise sensitivity. I've always had it, but it's gotten much worse in recent years. I went looking for reasons why my brain just shuts off and scrambles when there's too much noise, or certain sounds, like whistling. I also a lot of sensitivities to smells. When I was a little kid, I spent my time making lists from encyclopedias, and my mom's atlas. I had notebooks full of facts about geography. It wasn't until I got older that I realized that not everyone was obsessed with list making. I see a lot of these traits in my 3 year old daughter too. I do get wrapped up in my interests, the last couple of years it's been crochet. It gives me a creative outlet and something to do with my hands, which seems to help a lot.

I'm actually pretty positive about this, it feels like I finally have an explanation for all these years of wondering why I'm so weird :). It's nice really, just having a name for all this, and finding that I am not the only person in the world with these differences.

170/200 AS 55/200 NT

Verinda
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Mar 2014, 6:08 pm

Hello, welcome to the forum!