Star Wars 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Star Trek 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
The original 3 Star Wars (without counting any new ones) 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 7

RiverTamDent42
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Apr 2014, 1:51 pm

Hello. I am obviously new and just looking for people with similar interests and issues.

I am a huge nerd and / or geek and / or dork. I love science and science fiction, creating art, and I have a huge repertoire of useless random facts. I am a Browncoat, a Hitchhiker, a Sherlockian, a Trekker, a Hobbit, and a Lannister. I read everything except romance, western, or religious fiction, and I randomly read books in every section of the Dewey decimal system.

I am 35, I have two kids, I work at home for myself (just starting out), and I was divorced almost 2 years ago and have been single since.

I don't like groups of people. Being around more than 2 people makes me very anxious. I hate noise. I can't listen to two things at once, like music and talking together, it literally hurts my ears.
I can write forward and backwards, right side up or upside down, print or cursive, with both hands. I know it's weird to mention, but it is words and letters my brain obsesses over, not numbers.

Okay, probably TMI, but that's me. When I type or write, I can ramble, but in person I hardly speak. I always feel awkward, even around the 2 friends I've had for 14 years.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 2:56 pm

I can't be around a lot of people, either. In fact, I have this problem when I go to AA/NA meetings. If there's a lot of folks there, right after the meeting, I disappear. People usually stick around to smoke and/or socialize. I find it difficult as I get too anxious. A few people is okay. That I can handle. I don't smoke, though, so socialization is still a challenge with them.

RiverTamDent42
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Apr 2014, 6:55 pm

Oh, I would never be able to do that! Too many people, and having to speak in front of strangers, I shudder to think of it. I have failed two college speech classes because I just couldn't force myself to stand in front of people and have them all looking at me while I spoke.

unit_00
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Apr 2014, 7:24 pm

hi, welcome to wp. i like your icon! :D

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 7:39 pm

Around here, we consider it totally cool to mention your unusual abilities and preferences in your introduction. Your writing skill sounds really amazing to me. I can relate to a lot of what you said, except that I enjoy being the center of attention as long as I stay in control of the situation. I would totally show off that skill if I had it.

Anyway, welcome to WP. I hope you find outlets to discuss the stuff you like, share whatever you like, and learn a lot by reading about other people's experiences with autism.

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2014, 8:08 pm

Welcome to wp

I was a big star trek fan,the next generation and voyager were my favourite

And that hand writing thing sounds really cool.

RiverTamDent42
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Apr 2014, 9:34 pm

Thanks everyone.

I also think my writing thing is cool, if not very useful. :)

My favorite Star Treks are also Next Generation and Voyager, but I will watch them all.

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Apr 2014, 12:47 am

Who are your favorite star treck characters.
Mine are:tng=data and cptn.picard
Voyager=the doctor and tuvok

Me too ill watch any,butthey havent been on tv for a long time.maybe i just dont have the right channels (dont have scifi or space anymore)

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2014, 1:58 am

Comparing Star Wars to Star Trek is like comparing apples and oranges. One is fantasy with sci-fi elements, while the other is pure sci-fi.

I'll be honest here, I'm not a terribly big fan of either, though there have been some rather enjoyable video games made based on the Star Wars license. The movies themselves bore me however. As for Star Trek, sometimes I'll flip to it when I'm channel surfing, and it can be somewhat fascinating, though I could never really "follow" it.

Now, you know what I'd like to see? A Vulcan with Force powers, fighting Cylons while riding a sandworm. XD Granted, you couldn't really have a Vulcan Jedi because Vulcans become pretty aggressive during Pon Farr (their mating rut :P), and that sort of goes against Jedi customs.

RiverTamDent42
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Apr 2014, 8:09 am

I have always liked Spock, Data, Wesley, and B'Elanna from Voyager.

I know Star Wars and Trek are dissimilar, but I had just finished watching Fanboys when I posted this, so the issue was on my brain. :)

Your movie sounds great, but it needs Reavers and Vogons!

RiverTamDent42
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Apr 2014, 8:20 am

unit_00 wrote:

Thanks, Final Fantasy 7 & 8 are my favorite video games, along with the first FF. I love rpg games in general though.

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Apr 2014, 10:47 am

Rivertamdent42 wrote:

Quote:
Thanks, Final Fantasy 7 & 8 are my favorite video games, along with the first FF. I love rpg games in general though.

I thought i recognized your avatar

They are also my two favourite ff's,i felt they started going downhill after that,9 wasn't too bad,but they started getting too far from traditional rpg aspects

I still have them but have no system to play them on

unit_00
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Apr 2014, 6:22 pm

RiverTamDent42 wrote:
unit_00 wrote:

i've never played 8, but FF7 was one of the first games i got interested in. i've tried playing 1-6, and i really like them, but i can never seem to finish them. my favorite is probably 9 though.

RiverTamDent42
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Apr 2014, 11:01 pm

I have been a huge video game fan since I got my first Atari. Yup, Atari. :) I am a big fan of FF1, and I started playing 7 & 8 as soon as they came out. I don't play the others much, I mainly just play on my old Playstation. I have Final Fantasy Tactics, too. That's a different one.

And I played those old graphic only computer games on floppy disc. Like "You're in a foggy graveyard. There is a path going east and west. An old shack sits ahead of you" and you entered directions. Yeah, I feel old now... :)

Are there any other Firefly fans out there? If so, what are your favorite characters / episodes?

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2014, 11:10 pm

Actually, the real answer is Babylon 5 (or Firefly)

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Apr 2014, 11:50 pm

Quote:
have Final Fantasy Tactics, too. That's a different one.

I have that one too,i prefer it to the other ff's.i bought it used for 35$,well worth it

Firefly,Never got into it

What about Enterprise(the series not the ship lol)i forgot about that one,i liked the different species.