Page 334 of 358 [ 5723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 331, 332, 333, 334, 335, 336, 337 ... 358  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2020, 3:19 am

^^^piano and drums, you're a multitasker :bounce:

MamaFrankie5259
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2020, 2:14 pm

I've got an even more unusual first name. It's not a name from my native culture nor is it the name I was given at birth but it's the one I prefer to use because I hate my original name (which I won't reveal even for the chance to meet my avatar).

malavois
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Oct 2020, 8:11 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^piano and drums, you're a multitasker :bounce:

Haha thanks! All I have to do is learn to play the bagpipes with my armpit and I’m a one-man-band!

malavois
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Oct 2020, 8:20 pm

MamaFrankie5259 wrote:
I've got an even more unusual first name. It's not a name from my native culture nor is it the name I was given at birth but it's the one I prefer to use because I hate my original name (which I won't reveal even for the chance to meet my avatar).

If one were to address you, would one call you “MamaFrankie?”

prinanab
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Oct 2020, 11:43 pm

What is your first name? Crystal

Hobbies and Interests: Internet, reading, writing and solitaire and texas hold em.

Why are you here? to find friends

When were you diagnosed? 2012

Favorite subjects: History and Software class as well as history and biology

Year/Grade: n/a

Favorite music: Nothing in particular, as long as it sounds good

Books: Flowers for Algernon.

TV shows/Movies: I don't have a favorite one but oh well.

Instrument:None

Do you like sports? If so, which ones?: I play basketball and tennis.

Family: A mom and a dad.

Clothing: Mostly casual.

How did you find this website? my boyfriend gave me a link to wrongplanet.net

Job: Engineer

Plans for the future? I want to a researcher

Any comments? Nothing much to say.

dan shed temple
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Oct 2020, 3:55 am

dan.

london.

making music - i have a music project called 'bad suburban nightmare' that i've been working on for the past decade, but have been intermittently home recording for the past 15 years.
i participated in what some have called 'the uk no audience underground' as an outsider musician, and had some recordings released on a d.i.y label in the northwest, and played some shows.
the music and recordings are desolate, slow, electric guitar instrumentals that i mostly record at home, though have had some stuff recorded by others. these days, i just make the recordings myself when i can.
the project has gotten harder to sustain for a few reasons, and a feeling (at least to me) of it not really going anywhere.
it's still something i find meaningful to do, something quite personal, and i am still gratified to have made some friends through, and to have had a small group of people that really believed in and appreciated the music that i made, and i think even me as a person (so all is and was not lost).

i make art sometimes - mostly paintings, though this seems to have been harder to do than the music making. and i procrastinate quite a bit when i have art to make/paintings to do.

i like to write sometimes too.

i'd say my interests would mostly be 'underground music' - listening to. a kind of personal history to me now, but pretty much always had an intimate relationship to music, and listening.
also film (particularly the films of harmony korine amongst some others).
i used to read quite a bit, but have found that harder in recent years (and that makes me a little bit sad).

i'm here because i seem to have found myself painfully alone in life/the world. or at least can get to feeling that way.
i still try to keep going, and hope to be able to make some small life in the world.
i think i thought maybe i'd meet some people by coming on here, and maybe feel a little less alone or something.
as someone who has felt at odds with the world, and a bit of an outsider, i thought it might help to see if there are others out there, but i don't know. we'll see.

first at 19, but didn't seem to help sadly. this may have had something to do with late diagnosis, and related difficulties. i'm not sure. maybe just misfortune and a difficult life trajectory. hard to know.
and more recently again (to refine or bring more understanding to, as someone who has continued to struggle quite a bit) at 38.

haven't really found much meaningful occupation yet, outside of creative pursuits so legit long term unemployed, i guess that would make me. kind of burned out around age 19, and found it hard to find my way back in to meaningful participation with the world. (don't feel great about, but it is what it is.)

so the hope would be that i can really find a way to slowly work on addressing this, as finding a way to have some kind of life and doing some more things around others still feels really important to me.

i think that's it,

dan.

MamaFrankie5259
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2020, 1:50 pm

malavois wrote:
MamaFrankie5259 wrote:

If one were to address you, would one call you “MamaFrankie?”

Either that or my nickname Rustie. The name I actually use is quite difficult for most people to pronounce unless they are familiar with the lady I renamed myself after so I use 'Annie' as the diminutive.

Wish_Caster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2020, 9:57 pm

Name: Please call me Alex

Hobbies and interests: Cosplay, books, theatre, animated movies and tv shows, and mythology.

Why are you here?: To meet others that have similar experiences and to make friends.

When were you diagnosed?: Undiagnosed so far I’ve been told i’d be diagnosed as high functioning which is basically code for you don’t struggle enough don’t ask for a diagnosis.

Favorite Subjects: English, Psychology, Theatre, and sometimes History.

Year/Grade: Freshman in college.

Favorite music: mostly songs by Set It Off and Musical theatre songs.

Books: The Alchemyst by michael scott and Percy Jackson.

Tv Shows/Movies: How to Train Your Dragon, Rise of the Guardians, She Ra, Voltron, Criminal minds, My Hero academia, and Sword Art Online.

Instrument: Sort of guitar.

Do you like sports?: Nope

Family: Complicated.

Clothing: Mostly masculine, tiny bit feminine.

How did you find this website: Went searching for forums for autistic people and found this.

Job: Full time student til further notice.

Plans for the future: I either want to be a medium or some kind of teacher I think.

Any Comments?: I am happy to be here hello everyone!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 9:58 pm

^^^Hello Wish Caster, welcome to our cozy little club :alien:

Wish_Caster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Oct 2020, 7:07 am

auntblabby wrote:
^^^Hello Wish Caster, welcome to our cozy little club :alien:

Thanks! :D

Ella_Rose.91
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Oct 2020, 1:30 pm

First Name?
Prefer not to say.

Hobbies and Interests: I like to read, write, and draw. I love nature and animals.

Why are you here?
Because I was born with an Autistic brain.

When were you diagnosed?
I was diagnosed with Mild Autism October 5th, 2020.

Favorite subjects: Harry Potter

Year/Grade: N/A

Favorite music: Pop, Rock, Country

Books: The Harry Potter Books, The Immortals series By Tamora Pierce, The Secret Garden, Hawksmaid, and many others.

TV shows/Movies: Charmed(newer one), Harry Potter, Avengers, Wonder Woman, Moana

Instrument: I tried the Clarinet in middle school and ended up wanting to smash it to bits.

Do you like sports?
Not really, I'm kinda indifferent to them for the most part. Really don't like playing them though.

Family: (My parents are 29 years my senior)Mom, Dad, Younger brother(16), Our dog(9)

How did you find this website?
My Dad was looking for ways I could connect with my people and found this site.

Job: Retail(really soon orientation is later today)

Plans for the future?
I want to become an author, get married, have kids, help others and improve our world

Any comments?
Hello! I'm brand new here and don't know much about Autism yet. I hope everyone is doing relatively well. :mrgreen:

TurnpikeAl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Oct 2020, 10:36 am

What is your first name? Al

Hobbies and Interests: Hobbies: Working out, and IRL wrestling when there isn't a COVID pandemic going on. I also love to browse maps and satellite imagery, and sometimes draw ideas for road designs and road signs. Interests: Roads, highways, transportation, and similar things.

Why are you here? I have Asperger's/Autism-Spectrum, and it's nice to talk with other people about it and with people who have similar life experiences, although I tend to lurk a lot.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder):
Teenage years, and re-diagnosed within the past two years.

Favorite subjects: Roads, highways, transportation, and related topics.

Year/Grade: Master's Degree

Favorite music:
Genres/sub-genres: Folk, Rock/Grunge, Singer-Songwriter. Musicians: Beck, Nirvana, Randy Newman.

Books: Looking for America on the New Jersey Turnpike by Angus Kress Gillespie and Michael Aaron Rockland, S,M,L,XL by O.M.A., Rem Koolhaas, and Bruce Mau, 1984 by George Orwell, Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut, Landscape as Urbanism by Charles Waldheim

TV shows/Movies: TV Shows: Jeopardy!, Saturday Night Live, Sonic the Hedgehog (Saturday Morning Series). Movies: Adaptation, Chinatown, Fight Club.

Instrument: I play piano, but my favorite instrument is guitar.

Do you like sports? I like to wrestle IRL, competitively. I'm not in a formal organization for it, because I can't find one, so I meet people who are interested in private matches. I'd like to try playing football if I could find a local team for newbies. I rarely watch sports, however.

Family: No kids.

Clothing: As casual as I can get away with.

How did you find this website? Search engines.

Job: Currently a data analyst intern. Formerly an over-the-road truck driver, which was my best and highest-paying job ever.

Plans for the future? I hope to find a job that pays an hourly wage, health insurance, and keeps me physically engaged.

Any comments? Hello coffee, my old friend! I've come to drink you up again!

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2020, 4:52 am

Quote:
S,M,L,XL by O.M.A.
That's an unusual choice. Are you interested in architecture? My teacher in uni was project architect on the Seattle Library.

TurnpikeAl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Oct 2020, 9:08 am

1986 wrote:
Quote:
S,M,L,XL by O.M.A.
That's an unusual choice. Are you interested in architecture? My teacher in uni was project architect on the Seattle Library.

That's awesome! I WAS interested in architecture, especially as a kid, but I honestly just don't feel like I can fuss over details of buildings enough to do it professionally, and I've heard architecture school is like several years of torture only to lead to very limited job prospects that pay little but work people for long hours. I was interested in urbanism/urban design for a very long time, and Koolhaas's essays on Singapore, Atlanta, and "The Generic City" are especially thought-provoking and influential to me, and they're a huge part of why I love that book. Also, O.M.A.'s Euralille in France is a project that amazes me, and I'd love to visit it someday. I'd also love to visit the Seattle Library someday; I haven't yet had the chance to go sight-seeing in Seattle.

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2020, 8:45 pm

Well, to confirm your suspicions, architecture school was hard. I put other things on hold for a decade, and devoted almost all my time to it. The last three years my work routine was 10AM to 10PM 6 days a week, and an additional 6 hours on Sunday. That continued into my first two jobs where I occasionally worked 100h workweeks for a salary that barely payed rent, bills and food. As I shifted attention towards family life, I changed to a corporate office. Here the salary is great and I can leave at 6PM every day. I'd like to go back to a more artsy office in the future, but for now I'm happy with things as they are.

OMA is interesting but I don't think I could design like that personally. The Dutch embassy in Berlin was quite nice, though, I like that building a lot.

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2020, 9:04 pm

TurnpikeAl wrote:
What is your first name? Al

Hobbies and Interests: Hobbies: Working out, and IRL wrestling when there isn't a COVID pandemic going on. I also love to browse maps and satellite imagery, and sometimes draw ideas for road designs and road signs. Interests: Roads, highways, transportation, and similar things.

Why are you here? I have Asperger's/Autism-Spectrum, and it's nice to talk with other people about it and with people who have similar life experiences, although I tend to lurk a lot.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder):
Teenage years, and re-diagnosed within the past two years.

Favorite subjects: Roads, highways, transportation, and related topics.

Year/Grade: Master's Degree

Favorite music:
Genres/sub-genres: Folk, Rock/Grunge, Singer-Songwriter. Musicians: Beck, Nirvana, Randy Newman.

Books: Looking for America on the New Jersey Turnpike by Angus Kress Gillespie and Michael Aaron Rockland, S,M,L,XL by O.M.A., Rem Koolhaas, and Bruce Mau, 1984 by George Orwell, Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut, Landscape as Urbanism by Charles Waldheim

TV shows/Movies: TV Shows: Jeopardy!, Saturday Night Live, Sonic the Hedgehog (Saturday Morning Series). Movies: Adaptation, Chinatown, Fight Club.

Instrument: I play piano, but my favorite instrument is guitar.

Do you like sports? I like to wrestle IRL, competitively. I'm not in a formal organization for it, because I can't find one, so I meet people who are interested in private matches. I'd like to try playing football if I could find a local team for newbies. I rarely watch sports, however.

Family: No kids.

Clothing: As casual as I can get away with.

How did you find this website? Search engines.

Job: Currently a data analyst intern. Formerly an over-the-road truck driver, which was my best and highest-paying job ever.

Plans for the future? I hope to find a job that pays an hourly wage, health insurance, and keeps me physically engaged.

Any comments? Hello coffee, my old friend! I've come to drink you up again!

Hello from a fellow Kansan!

I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits