Page 42 of 358 [ 5723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 358  Next

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2006, 10:52 pm

What is your first name? Gordon I sometimes go by G.Go, which is my last initial and the first 2 letters of my first name. It sounds exotic to me. :lol:

Hobbies and Interests: My kids (5 and 7), who have both been diagnosed with PDD-NOS, Music, Gardening, Photography.

Why are you here? Always learning. I have just discovered this site 3 days ago and have spent every free moment reading and being uplifted by many of the members. I only hope to continue to draw from this amazing well of experience and maybe contribute if possible.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): Have not been formally diagnosed, but I have 2 kids (boy, 7 and girl, 5) who have been diagnosed with PDD-NOS (favoring an AS diagnosis so far) and further evaluation is upcoming. In my obsessive nature to learn all about any new interest, the body of study I have undertaken has left me with no doubt that I, too, am affected. :?

Favorite subjects: Realizing that this question is asked for the benefit of a younger person than I, my favorite school subjects were anything nature or science related, electronics also. Math was also a strong point for me, but I didn't really like all the excersizes, since it just comes naturally for me.

Year/Grade: Graduated high school in 1974, too young and disorganized to focus on college at the time so I got married. :roll: It didn't work.

Favorite music: I enjoy all forms of music. I play music constantly at home, Rock about 50%, Jazz about 30%. I like classic jazz, like Miles Davis John Coltrane, Thelonius Monk, classic rock Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, The Who, The Beatles, and some heavy metal, also some newer groups, like Bare Naked Ladies, Wilco, The Donnas, Liz Phair, Tool. I could go on for days.

Books: Sci-Fi, Isaac Asimov, Stephen King, Roger Zelazny, Dean Koontz. Gardening, sound and stereo, and Photography.

TV shows/Movies: Rarely watch TV, but I like Nova and some of the music related PBS programming. Some racing and football. I love good sci-fi, mysteries, "feel good" movies.

Instrument: Guitar. Played bass in a band as a teen and became more interested in the PA gear. Actually made a decent living with a sound company, supplying equipment for concerts. Photography was a second job until about '91, when I made it the primary.

Do you like sports? Some. In school I was a good baseball player with an uncanny ability to hit any ball that got near me if I had a bat in my hand, but I always wanted to play football. I never made the football team. I enjoy watching Pro football and racing.

Family: Beautiful intelligent wife, brilliant son, 7 (entering 2nd grade in the regular mainstream classes, although he was reading at 18 months) and gorgeous daughter, 5 (entering kindergarten, mainstream) plus a fairly cool fox terrier, fighting crime. Both kids are echolalic, but they are so clever many adults don't realize it. My daughter only spoke backwards (always opposite meaning than what she stated) until she was almost 4. They have both made incredible progress.

Clothing: Mostly cotton. Comfortable, quiet, unassuming clothing is a must! I can't stand the smell or sound of plastic, poly, imitation fabrics. I don't care how much perfume you put in your wash I can smell the plastic decomposing in your blended fabrics and it is quite distracting. The hideous sigh and scraping noise as it ruffles is enough to make me cringe if it catches me by surprise.

How did you find this website? Search engine.

Job: Semi retired, Part time only, stay at home Dad. My wife still works.
I worked as a sound engineer for many years and opened a Photo studio about 15 years ago, but have since left all that to concentrate on our kids.

Plans for the future? Trying to keep my kids in the mainstream classes, while giving them a crash course in social expectations. The inmates are running the asylum around here, sometimes, but I can understand and help both kids better than anyone else on the planet, so far, even tough they are distinctly different. I am ever more anxious to find new ways to connect to them and will entertain all possible methods of teaching.

Any comments? Nah ... but, please, do.

bonzo_dog
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Aug 2006, 12:11 am

What is your first name? Robert. Bob is OK, Rob or Bobby are not.

Hobbies and Interests: Golf, dancing, hiking

Why are you here? Asperger's

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): Received confirmation TODAY (8/1)

Favorite subjects:

Year/Grade:

Favorite music: Many kinds (especially novelty music), excluding rap. Some favorite artists: Kate Bush, Cowboy Junkies, Beatles, Stevie Wonder, Harry Chapin, Gordon Lightfoot, Moody Blues, Chris Isaak, Simon & Garfunkel, Brian Setzer Orchestra, Enya, and oh yes, the Bonzo Dog Band. I also listen frequently to classical music if I just want "background" music.

Books: Favorites are mysteries (Agatha Christie, Dick Francis, Tony Hillerman) and historical novels (e.g. James Michener). Also Ayn Rand. Favorite "classic" book is "The Count of Monte Cristo".

TV shows/Movies: Jeopardy!, South Park, Simpsons, My Name Is Earl, Desperate Housewives, Boston Legal, sporting events. I typically don't watch "reality" shows.

Instrument: Piano

Do you like sports? Yes. Besides watching and golf, I also run. Would like to try softball if I could find a team.

Family: Divorced; no children. Father deceased. 2 sisters, 1 brother (all living out-of-state.)

Clothing: No baggy clothes or cargo shorts!! Not a big fan of "casual dress" workplaces (unless they're outdoor).

How did you find this website? Asperger's Northwest

Job: Currently none

Plans for the future? Will probably be spending the next two years in college full-time (either for accounting or biology -- I haven't decided which) to try to get a new career so I can be employable again, unless I can somehow manage to get a real job in software development. If biology it will be as a second bachelor's degree (I already have a master's in computer science but right now it probably isn't worth the paper it's printed on); if accounting it will be in non-matriculated status but I would expect to take the CPA exam upon completion.

Any comments? I have been a part-time student at the community college level for the past five years. I attempted to get into pharmacy school but despite a 3.95 GPA in my prerequisite courses and a 99%ile score in the entrance exam I did not get in despite several tries. (Maybe I would have, somewhere, if I had applied nationwide which is probably what I would have done if I was of college age.)

blackduck
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2006, 8:35 pm

What is your first name? Ian (hated it as a kid, but used to it now)

Hobbies and Interests: Duck hunting, skeet shooting, trap shooting, sporting clays, small bore (22) target, would like to try full bore (30 cal over 1000 yds) (see a theme?). Like the idea of fishing, have lots of tackle but never seem to actually go fishing. Have 2 sons, like to spend time outdoors with them.

Why are you here? Path of self discovery

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): Seld diagnosed about 6 weeks ago. Heard about AS on the radio and thought that sounds like me, that too, that too. Did all the online tests I could find and here I am.

Favorite subjects: Maths/Physics. Never interested in humanities. Not good at learning dates/facts that don't interest me. Never had to study maths/physics. All I had to do was understand the concept and everything was easy.

Year/Grade: Yr 12 failed English. Went back to night school age 25. Uni - Economics Acctg age 28. Post Grad degree & CPA age 35

Favorite music: Linda Rhonstadt, Pink Flyod, Dire Straits, Emmy-Lou Harris

Books: Flashman series. Mostly non fiction stuff

TV shows/Movies: South Park, The Big Lebowski

Instrument: Bagpipes (used to play in a band, not now)

Do you like sports? Not really. Kids play rugby - like watching them.

Family: Both parents alive (divorced), wife (1), 2 brothers, 2 sons, 7 neices/nephews.

Clothing: Usually more formal than others but sometimes I like a "red-neck" look. Only like natural fibres.

How did you find this website? surfing looking for AS stuff

Job: Accountant

Plans for the future? To have my kids grow up better than me

Any comments? Appeciate this site. Sorry if any posts have rubbed anyone up the wrong way (I think I have)

Last edited by blackduck on 04 Aug 2006, 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

blackduck
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2006, 8:38 pm

Favouite book (how could I forget)

"Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds"
Written in 19th C and recently republished.

neptunevsmars
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2006, 6:14 am

blackduck wrote:
Any comments? Appeciate this site. Sorry if any posts have rubbed anyone up the wrong way (I think I have)

We all do at some point. Personally I play the ball, not the man, and as far as I'm concerned whatever happens on a particular thread stays on that thread.

So welcome aboard...I'm in Melbourne too.

You got to ask for it

Ihdreniel
Raven
Raven

03 Aug 2006, 2:00 pm

What is your first name? Hannah.

Hobbies and Interests: Reading, writing, television, horseback riding, the outdoors.

Why are you here? Because I have Asperger's, and I'm interested in meeting other people with Asperger's.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): May 2006.

Favorite subjects: Everything really, but especially math and English.

Year/Grade: I'll be going into eleventh grade this fall.

Favorite music: Classical, popular.

Books: 'The Lord of the Rings', 'The Book Thief', 'The Riddles of Epsilon'... those are just some of my favorites; I really can't list them all.

TV shows/Movies: TV shows: 'The West Wing', 'Mystery Science Theater 3000', 'The X-Files', 'Third Rock From the Sun', and 'House M.D.' Movies: 'Contact', 'The Lord of the Rings', and 'In America'.

Instrument: Violin.

Do you like sports? Yes, except volleyball and field hockey. Soccer's my favorite.

Family: Mom, Dad (divorced, neither remarried), and a thirteen-year-old sister.

Clothing: Jeans, T-shirt, anything comfortable, really.

How did you find this website? Google.

Job: N/A.

Plans for the future? I'd like to try teaching elementary school, and I'd also like to be a novelist.

Any comments? This is an awesome site.

Frosch
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Aug 2006, 7:17 am

What is your first name? Krisztina

Hobbies and Interests: I like drawing and painting, learning languages, reading, researching crime, walking in the forest, photographing insects.

Why are you here? I'm not sure.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): I was incorrectly diagnosed with ADHD when I was 6, given medicine, but my mother made me stop taking it because she thought it was ''BS''. People kept thinking there was something wrong with me, so I started researching to find a reason. I found out about Asperger's. I haven't been officially diagnosed though.

Favorite subjects: Art and languages. I love learning languages, it's such a shame that the two my school offers (English and German) I've already learned so much that they told me I shouldn't go to te classes anymore.

Year/Grade: 11th

Favorite music: Our Lady Peace, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Guano Apes mostly, but I like almost everything that sounds pleasant or has lyrics I like.

Books: The Day of the Jackal, The Dark is Rising, The Dice Man, Ayuamarca, We Need to Talk About Kevin, books by Isaac Asimov, comics (such as: Sandman, Watchmen, V for Vendetta.)

TV shows/Movies: Lost, X-Files, Cowboy Bebop, Serial Experiments Lain, Ghost In the Shell, Le Samourai, Monster, Star Wars, various documentaries.

Instrument: None. I'm hopeless at music.

Do you like sports? I like swimming. I used to do it competitively when I was younger.

Family: A russian blue, mother, uncles and aunts, two grandparents, many cousins, a half-sister, two nieces.

Clothing: What I take out of the closet first. Usually jeans with some kind of shirt and sport shoes for comfort.

How did you find this website? Researching Asperger.

Job: Student, sadly.

Plans for the future? I want to study art. After that, I don't know.

Any comments? None yet. I'm still exploring.

Tails
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2006, 6:51 pm

I... don't remember if I ever filled this in :roll: Whoops. Well, I'll post anyway...

What is your first name? Alex, 'though I go by 'Jai' usually.

Location: Surrey, UK. Relocating to Somerset in a couple of weeks.

Hobbies and Interests: Collecting Sonic merchandise, surfing the internet, listening to music, working towards my bi-plane pilot licence, Flash, graphical design, writing, drawing, technology

Why are you here? I'll assume that's not a deep philosophical question and instead only relates to me being on the forum... heh. I'm here because I hope to connect with others who might understand me better than most people I've known.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): Age 14, after dropping out of school due to depression and an anxiety disorder.

Favorite subjects: School subjects? Or topics in general? In general... video games, world events, Sonic, autism... School subjects, I liked... english, maths, drama, I.T, media studies.

Year/Grade: N/A

Favorite music: Old school rock, old school dance, world music, anything really... just not rap/drum n' bass. Favorite bands: Queen, Enigma, Savage Garden, Linkin Park, Guns n' Roses...

Books: Memoirs of a Geisha, At Swim Two Boys, my dictionary

TV shows/Movies: The Lion King, Toy Story, Mulan... all the Disney classics... and Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow.

Instrument: Keyboard, piano, violin, drums.

Do you like sports? No. Unless chess counts?

Family: Wonderful mother, idiot thug brother, barely-existant irresponsible jerkwad father.

Clothing: Mainly casual... my Sonic t-shirts, and jeans.

How did you find this website? Word of mouth, I think. Or it may have been mentioned in a magazine or newspaper article.

Job: Was a Library Assisitant. Currently unemployed, but aiming to get a placement to do NVQ3 by September.

Plans for the future? Obtain a Green Card and move to America to live with my partner. Also, to own a bi-plane.

Any comments? Some of the questions were a little ambiguous and therefore confusing... oh well.

gargouille
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2006, 10:37 pm

What is your first name? Sarah

Hobbies and Interests: Internet, maths, lizards and Neopets. There's more, but I don't want to bore you.

Why are you here? Because I hate OASIS, er, I mean, I have Asperger's and this is the only board for us.

When were you diagnosed? age 4

Favorite subjects: maths, roman history and music theory/comp

Year/Grade: I have a BA in applied mathematics, a BA in Vocal performance, an associate's in Music Theory, and bits and pieces of a Master's in Roman History.

Favorite music: Nothing in particular, as long as it sounds good

Books: "The Chosen", and "the Promise", both by Chaim Potok. "Rules for the Direction of the Mind" by Rene Descartes, and "the Principia Mathematica" by Whitehead and Russell.

TV shows/Movies: I don't have a favorite one

Instrument: Piano and I sing.

Do you like sports? If so, which ones?: I like playing Cricket, but my team withered up and blew away last summer. I don't like watching any sports.

Family: One mum, one dad, one step-dad, 2 brothers. I also have two female cousins with Asperger's and one autistic male cousin.

Clothing: What's clean and not too wrinkly?

How did you find this website? Pure dumb luck.

Job: I'm a merchandiser, which means I go into stores for my companies and be sure everything is displayed properly, neat and tidy, priced correctly and my demo units are all functioning properly. I love it because I set my own schedule, my boss is two states away and as long as my stores are done well and on-time, he leaves me alone. I don't work well with others. I tried corporate america. I wanted to die. This works for me. 'Specially because I'm anal about getting as much done as possible in the first part of the cycle. Then if I'm having one of those days when I really CAN'T leave the house, I don't have to panic.

Plans for the future? Making a bigger condo for Fluffy, my gecko and getting my dishes done.

Any comments? Not right now. Maybe later.

AmeliaJane
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Aug 2006, 8:59 am

Haven't done this yet so here goes...

What is your first name? Claire

Hobbies and Interests: Reading, reptiles, music, dance, Aspergers, and lots of things I never thought I'd be interested in until I moved in with an Aspie! (Science, aircraft, weather, politics etc...)

Why are you here? My partner is an Aspie. I came here to learn about AS as I suspected he had it. Now I'm sure he does (and so is he).

Favorite music: Folk, blues, jazz, reggae... well, most things but mainly those. And Marilyn Manson.

Books: Anything & everything! I eat them.

TV shows/Movies: Dr Who, Father Ted, Red Dwarf, Six feet Under, Documentaries.

Instrument: All of them! (I used to work as a sound engineer). But I wish I played the saxophone.

Do you like sports? I watch motor racing. Other than that, no.

Family: We all have to have one I suppose... managed to avoid having children but have 2 teenage stepchildren. Still sane though... just...

Clothing: Yes please! Lots! Especially shoes :D :D

How did you find this website? Google search

Job: Duty Officer, Social Services

Plans for the future? I plan to live happily ever after in a cottage in the country, with Les and Ozzie, our lizard.

cloudchaser
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Aug 2006, 5:28 pm

Hi,

My name is Stuart and I am 45 years of age and I live in West Yorkshire in the North of England in the U.K.

My hobbies and interests when I was a child was Natural History and Drawing. Writing (poetry and prose) became vitally important when I left school (these interests didn't manifest at school because I'm sound sensitive and also school was terrifying). Writing and Drawing has continued to the present day. I've a small amount of writing published and I'm also studying a B.A. Hons Fine Art on a part-time basis.

I'm here because the confusion I encountered on being dxd Asperger's & A.D.D. six years ago at the age of 37 seems to be 'levelling out'. The diagnosis was complicated by a memory glitch which may or may not be a part of A.D.D. The specialist described this specific part of memory and explained that it was nearly non-existent. My long-term memory is very good but is a very much a picture-memory.

I was dxd after an assessment period of twelve testing session once a week. The assessment began in 1999 and concluded in 2000.

My favourite music is the music I listen to when I'm writing and drawing and I listen to particular tracks on track-repeat because it creates a safe repetitive environment which I find soothing and also helps me concentrate. These are usually classical pieces because they help me conjure images in my mind. 8O

My favourite books are books of artists work and other reference books. I have been writing a kind of novel for ten years now which I am perhaps writing for reassurance, because I'm pretty sure now that all the characters are on the spectrum. I usually manage a few pages a week.

I do not have a T.V. but I do watch DVD's on a player.

My family? My parents didn't seek professional advice when I was young because they couldn't work out why I was so uninvolved and yet could reel off the name of any kind of creature which was shown on T.V. My parents and my brother and sister simply hoped that that I would find order and stability when I grew older - and also that I might start talking to people and keep a job. I managed to get a few qualifications after school which persuaded them (and me too) that things were improving. The threshold of the spectrum is observable in other members of my family. My family is a very supportive and organised family.

My clothing is a tricky subject because I adapt to changes in the season very well.

I found this web-site through my research into A.S.

As for the future I would like to finish my book. I would like to continue to explore Drawing (both imagined/remembered and observed).

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2006, 5:34 pm

What is your first name?

Hobbies and Interests: computers, music, crafts, reading, insects, rocks, etc.

Why are you here? AS

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): skip

Favorite subjects: when I was in school-- history, foreign language, astronomy

Year/Grade: :lol:

Favorite music: classical and alternative rock, like porcupine tree

Books: a confederacy of dunces, till we have faces

TV shows/Movies: 24

Instrument: piano

Do you like sports? no

Family: husband, 5 children

Clothing: sleeveless shirts, I hate the feeling of cloth on my arms

How did you find this website? another board

Job: taking care of my kids

Plans for the future? to keep living

Any comments? thanks for asking

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2006, 7:32 pm

What is your first name? Jeanne(it is not pronounced Jean or Jeannie. It's like john but the j sound is different. The only person who may call me Jean is my brother. I've been called Jean,Jeannie, or Janene all my life.)

Hobbies and Interests:Piano,Watching the rain, geography, reading, poetry,languages, how things work and are made; studying maps(I can stare at the map in my room all day :)), and smelling things.

Why are you here? I needed to find some normalcy

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): A few months ago

Favorite subjects:Fine arts, english, and history

Year/Grade: 11th

Favorite music: Rock, Alternative Rock, Billy Joel, and Frank Sinatra.

Books: Watchers, A Confederacy of Dunces, and anything by Brian Jaques

TV shows/Movies: Monk,House, and Scrubs. Chocolat ,Amelie, and A Fish Called Wanda.

Do you like sports? Swimming, Flag Football

Family: Sister and two brothers

Clothing: Casual. I always wear a shirt and capris. I hate low rider jeans.

How did you find this website? I forgot... :?

Job: I want to be an author

Plans for the future? College(gulp)

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

Last edited by tinky on 17 Aug 2006, 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2006, 7:36 pm

tinky wrote:

I'm classically trained myself. Tell us more. Do you get much performance anxiety?

- Emerson

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2006, 7:40 pm

i've been playing for 7 months now and i'm upsessed with the piano. when i come home from school i sit down and start playing someday from hunchback of notre dame and other songs. If i ever performed in public then i would be sweating all over the keys!

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2006, 7:43 pm

Hobbies and Interests: Internet, maths, lizards and Neopets

neopets huh? i go on there too! when i have time and am not so tired that is. It seems hard for me to sleep at times.