Page 3 of 358 [ 5723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 358  Next

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2004, 11:15 am

*grins and applauds* Thnx for that! I had absolutley no clue! :D :D

IrishWolf
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jul 2004, 7:30 pm

First name: Jo

Hobbies and interests: Reading, writing (i have a piece submitted here, i the writing & poetry section. Have a look, it's a bit weird) archery, cycling, ancient Egypt, internet.

Why are you here? Cos i have Aspergers.
When were you diagnosed? I'm not, but i know it have it.

Favourite subjects: Not at school anymore. When i was in college though, Latin, Ancient Civilisations, English.
Year/Grade: See above.

Favourite Music: Irish Dance, Midnight Oil, Matchbox Twenty, Bon Jovi, Enya, REM, some Techno.

Books: Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, most crime, most fantasy, some sci fi.
Tv shows/movies: CSI, CSI: Miami, StarGate, Star Trek TNG, Star Wars (except for the phantom menace, George Lucas should be shot for that one), Highlander the movie and Highlander the tv series, Black Books, The Glasshouse (this is an Aussie one).

Instrument: Used to play the clarinet at school, loved it but can't afford my own. Mum made me learn the piano. Can play that, but only mechanically, no emotion. Don't like piano.

Sports: Don't watch any sport. I cycle, do archery and bushwalk.

Family: Mum and Dad, sister (younger & totally NT), brother (younger & AS, older brother (don't know whether he's AS or not, he's just weird 8), but i love him.) One horse, one dog.

Clothing: Jeans and t-shirts when it's warm. Jeans and a black trenchcoat, when it's not. (I do wear a shirt under the coat :wink: )

How did you find this site? Followed a link from Delphi forums.

Job: Console operator at a BP service station.

Comments: I could comment, but then i'd have to kill you. 8) :twisted:

Nightshade
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jul 2004, 6:38 am

First name: well here I'd rather be called Nightshade...

Hobbies and interests: Lots and lots, all sorts of things. Lifelong interests in music and nature. Particularly weird plants and misunderstood animals (spiders, insects, worms, sea squirts).

Why are you here? Aspergia's closing :cry: . Ok, I'm quite Aspie in my personality and developed an obsession with AS and autism after my friend's child was diagnosed with autism and I started reading about it.

When were you diagnosed? Not diagnosed. I don't have AS, my personality has lots of Aspie traits but not to the extent that fits with all the DSM-IV criteria and all that stuff (don't like the word "impaired" much anyway). By the way, I always seem to explain things in FAR too much detail. Sorry.

Favourite subjects: Not at school anymore but biology and music were my favourites.

Year/Grade: well, thinking about doing a PhD

Favourite Music: So much it would take me hours to list (I'm not kidding, that over-detailed thing again). A small selection from my CD collection might include Hildegarde of Bingen (12th century), Palestrina (16th Century), Bach (1685-1750 - still remember that date from school), Benjamin Britten (20th century), Arvo Part ("classical" but still alive and composing now), the soundtrack to the muscial "Little Shop of Horrors" (main character is a weird plant YAY!! !! !), Leonard Cohen (not sure of his exact genre, but a friend of mine who is in her late 40s listened to him at university), The Mutton Birds (NZ group), Nick Cave (alternative, Australian, kind of dark), Hossam Ramzy (Egyptian percussionist). I'll stop now.

Books: Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (ok anything by John Wyndham). A town like Alice by Neville Shute. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl. Anything by Christopher Brookmyre. And lots more (actually more than the music I think...)

Tv shows/movies: Nothing much right now. Can live without both if I have music books and a computer.

Instrument: Mostly I sing. Love singing.

Sports: I watch cricket. I don't play any team or competitive sport. Too much trauma being the uncoordinated kid at school. :roll:

Family: Large and complex. One branch seems to have lots of Aspie traits - but I don't see them a lot because they aren't in NZ. I'm single and have two lovely cats.

Clothing: Eccentric. I think orange and lime green go well together.

How did you find this site? I'm a refugee from Aspergia. :cry:

Job: Biologist.

Comments: Think I've said enough already! :wink:

pLaSmAgIrL1988
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jul 2004, 11:43 am

What is your first name? Elizabeth

Hobbies and Interests: Internet, singing, dancing, reading, etc.

Why are you here? I think I have AS or something like that but I didn't get diagnosed yet but I am gonna get tested for it soon.

Favorite Subjects: Computers, Musical Theatre, Gym

Year/Grade: 11th next fall

Favorite Music: HIlary Duff, Cher, anything that I could dance too and music from broadway and movies and etc.

Books: HOLES, War With Grandpa, non-fiction books, fiction books, comics, educational books, etc.

TV Shows/Movies: I don't have a favorite but I like anything that is full of action, adventure, etc.

Instrument: Drums and piano

Do you like sports? If so which ones?: Volleyball, track, soccer, kickball, and baseball

Family: A mom, a dad, 2 brothers, 1 sister, and me.

Clothing: Comfortable things that are stylish and trendy and etc.

How did you find out about this website? From my mom.

Job: I don't have one but I'm gonna get one that allows me to work on computers.

Plans for the Future: News Broadcaster

Any comments? Well I do feel like I fit in here. I don't know if I have AS but I'll get diagnosed for that.

TyroneShoelaces
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jul 2004, 6:59 am

Thankyou for the compliment Torley! :) Likewise, I'm sure!

Hi Nightshade - it is good to see another Kiwi about the place :D ! I've just finished "Chocky" by John Wyndham - moving onto "The Midwich Cuckoos" [the latest version of the film was great].

montjuic
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Jul 2004, 12:59 pm

What is your first name? Steve

Hobbies and Interests: Drawing, art, scrabble, astronomy

Why are you here? I don't know. Might have aspergers, might not.

When were you diagnosed?n/a

Favorite subjects:n/a

Year/Grade: n/a

Favorite music: Stuff like n.e.r.d, stevie wonder, beach boys.

Books: I quite like jg ballard.

TV shows/Movies: Vertigo, 2001, The Ring(japanese)

Instrument: No

Do you like sports? Tennis, m/sport

Family: yes

Clothing: Mostly casual.

How did you find this website? Aspergia.com

Job: Illustrator

Plans for the future? world domination

Any comments? Good site - well done.

KtMcS
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jul 2004, 5:26 pm

What is your first name? Katie

Hobbies and Interests: reading, writing, psychology, films, drawing, drama, dance

Why are you here? I have asperger's

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): last september when I was 15

Favorite subjects: expressive arts, design technology

Year/Grade: i've just left year 11 so (hopefully!) year 12/lower sixth next september

Favorite music: mostly rock-type things

Books: Men at Arms, The Log, Round Ireland with a Fridge

TV shows/Movies:Evolution, The Shawshank Redemption, Shaun of the Dead (films)

Instrument: does voice count?

Do you like sports? If so, which ones?:no...i like walking though

Family: mum, dad , sister

Clothing: casual, comfortable with the odd party outfit

How did you find this website? Nuttdan

Job: don't have one

Plans for the future? pass my a-levels, go to university

Any comments? does this remind anyone of those FWD: QUIZ type things? but this is better because it serves a purpose and doesnt claim to give you good/ bad luck

Sonas càirdeas

Tom_FL_MA
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Location: Central Florida; originally southeastern Massachusetts

05 Jul 2004, 10:56 pm

What is your first name? Tom

Hobbies and Interests: Meteorology; U.S. Geography; Internet; Statistics; Broadcasting (schedules, personalties, call letters, station logos); DXing

Why are you here? I have Asperger's Syndrome

When were you diagnosed? Late 1990's

Favorite subjects: Meteorology, U.S. Geography, Internet, Statistics, Broadcasting

Year/Grade: Graduated high school in June 1996

Favorite music: Everything but rap and heavy metal; but don't tend to listen to much

Books: Mostly reference books

TV shows/Movies: I don't have one

Instrument: None

Do you like sports? If so, which ones?: Baseball if anything

Family: Mother, Father, three brothers and one sister (brother's are or will be 34, 32 and 31 this year, sister 33); none of them are on the autistic spectrum

Clothing: Don't care for writing on shirts, usually jeans

How did you find this website? A member told me about it, joined shortly after he did. :)

Job: N/A

Plans for the future?

Any comments? I am glad I was made aware of this site. I probably would of found it sooner or later. :)

Last edited by Tom_FL_MA on 31 Oct 2004, 8:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.

synx13
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Jul 2004, 4:53 am

the_enigma wrote:
This is a model of how you should answer your questions. All questions are optional. I thought this would be a good icebreaker for everyone.

Ookie, I do so then. ^.^

What is your first name? Call me Starling. Call me Clarice and die.

Hobbies and Interests: writing music, hearing music, philosophy, science, specifically biology, chemistry, physics, sociology, psychology; aikido, yoga, meditation, drawing pictures, tarot cards, reading, board posting, video games, stories, animals, fantasy, the common person, non-love poems and songs, ecology, humor, secular theology, debating, cooking, gardening, bicycle riding, swimming, standing in the rain--:brain fizzles out:

Why are you here? I have got to figure out how to get myself back on track.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): my parents were very, very confused most of the time when I was young. Being the eldest, they just assumed my precocious insanity (speaking sentences at 1, reading at 3) was normal, having no prior experience with kids. This is why only trained professionals should handle child raising. 8)

Favorite subjects: Anything in my hobbies and interests, which include most things to be done under the sun.

Year/Grade: HS diploma, some college experience, but no degree and currently wishing fervently for the means both financial and mental, to get one.

Favorite music: Not sure, anything besides loud music, Country/Western, and love songs for the most part. Some times due to severe lack of non-love songs I enjoy love songs, if not for the lyrics.

Books: Tailchaser's Song, by Tad Williams. Pullman's His Dark Materials, except for the last book. Micromegas, by Voltaire. Anything that deals with normal people sent into fantastic situations. Because I, an abnorma person in a banal situation like to live vicariously through them.

TV shows/Movies: I liked "Bowling for Columbine." Moore is definitely a brilliiant satirist. That's the most recent movie I've seen. I'm more the art noveau type than the thriller or romantic.

Instrument: I play the Clarinet, though haven't gotten my amature back since those 3 months I had to work 13 hours out of the day and couldn't play it. I also play some piano, though being too poor for a piano, I still haven't been able to fall in love with the non-weighted keys of my synth. Did I mention they had baby grands accessible back when I was still allowed in school?

Do you like sports? If so, which ones?: I like the Aikido school of martial art. It's my favorite discipline: not too aggressive for me like Judo, and very concept oriented, all arranged around centers of balance and energy flow (aka flexion). Unfortunately here in Pavementville there isn't anything but commuters and Mexicans for miles and miles... 70 churches in town but no community center, and no qualified Aikido teacher. Been studying yoga lately, since it's the one discipline that you really can learn by looking at still pictures in a book.

Family: A mom. I had a dad, but he was emotionally abusive, and despite my family's urgings I try to stay away from him due to my own psychological unrest, and his generally unfriendly nature these days. I have a sister too, though she lives with him since she can stand him, and he keeps her in line, since she was never allowed to develop the ability to take care of herself.

Clothing: I dress in camoflage. Not the military style suitable for Vietnamese jungles, but the social style. I wear solid colors, neutral colors, the type of thing that doesn't stand out. My hair isn't wacky, my shoes aren't too wild, I have no piercings or tattoos. It makes my radical ideas all the more poignant, and keeps me safe from people who judge solely by appearance.

How did you find this website? From www.aspergia.net was looking for a forum. Found aspergia by Googling.

Job: Need one to pay for school. $2000 to my name currently and probably 3 years needed to graduate with a B.S. in something.

Plans for the future? I want to live somewhere where there is nice weather, lots of rain and colorful cloud patterns. I want to be able to get around without having to drive, and I would like to work with animals. I'd especially like to work with, or own ferrets. Of course, this conflicts with my other dream, which is to assemble or join a high tech team of computer programmers, artists and creative people, and make the best darned story oriented video game this planet has ever seen. I mean c'mon, the best story game out there right now is "Jak II," how hard is that to beat? :mrgreen:

Any comments? I stay up too late. :oops:

Last edited by synx13 on 07 Jul 2004, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pokeapoke
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jul 2004, 2:06 pm

Name-Chris

Age-15 at the time of this post

Gender-male

Hobbies-Computers, gaming, swimming, being very obnoxious and annoying. :oops:

Location-Oklahoma, Oklahoma City

Where I heard about this site-My mother about 20 minutes before this post

Plans for older life-College and P.H.D. which will take me til' im 27 years old. (Yes school can be boring at times, but I'll survive.)

Pets-3 Dogs(Whiet, Lassie Colly, Harley, female border colly/lab, Max, part pug, not sure what else.) 2 Cats(One is black with white tummy, chest and chin, the other is very very furry with brown fur, and large black spots{needs to quit attacking my ankles}

Favorite Tv Shows-Family Guy, News, any sort of humorous Tv shows and occasionally Extreme Animals on Animal Planet, oh oh Law and Order, Cops, any sort of educational films as well.

Family-Very disfunctional history, Scitzofrenia, Autism, Alzheimers, etc., closest family members consist of my 10 year old brother, my mother and father, and my grandparents on my mothers side(never see my dads side of the family much.)

Diagnosed-Around age 7 or so, was very tough on my parents, they say my Neurotypical(normal) brother is a breeze compared to me.

History-if anybody is interested pm me and ill make a post about it and pm you about the post.

Grade-Going to 10th after this summer break, taking the highest lvl courses the school will offer, plan to have calculus 2 out of the way by the end of high school.

Addictions-Computers, Computers, Computers, Computers, making funny faces out of text on the computers. [size=18]<('-')> <('o'<) <(-_-)> <("o"<) <(`0`)> /size

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2004, 6:48 pm

What is your first name? Amanda

Hobbies and Interests: I don't know.

Why are you here? I am autistic.

When were you diagnosed? July 1995.

Favorite subjects: I'm not in school.

Year/Grade: I'm not in school.

Favorite music: I don't know.

Books: I don't know

TV shows/Movies: I don't know.

Instrument: Hammered dulcimer.

Do you like sports? If so, which ones?: Ping-pong.

Family: Two brothers, a father and mother. I do not live with them. One cat, who does live with me.

Clothing: Right now mostly shorts and t-shirts.

How did you find this website? Heard it advertised various places.

Job: Unemployed.

Plans for the future? Not sure I think that way.

Any comments? There are undoubtedly answers to the questions I answered "I don't know" to, but open-ended questions can be difficult.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2004, 11:12 pm

This is a model of how you should answer your questions. All questions are optional. I thought this would be a good icebreaker for everyone.

What is your first name? Scott

Hobbies and Interests: Internet, computers, TV broadcasting

Why are you here? I have AS and want to relate to others like me

Year/Grade: College Junior

Favorite music: almost anything with synthesizers

TV shows/Movies: Simpsons

How did you find this website? Through aspergia, which I found through google

Job: Grocrey stocker, TV camerman

Plans for the future? I want to go into broadcasting

Any comments? Finally! I feel as if I belong.

din55
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jul 2004, 9:41 pm

Hidey ho

What is your first name? Davis

Hobbies and interests: Video games, webcomics, anime

Why are year here? I have Asperger's Syndrome, and am interested in learning how others have coped with it so that I may do so better myself.

Grade: High School Softmore

Favorite Music: Anything along the lines of They Might Be Giants and Tom Lehrer.

Favorite Television Shows/Movies: Nearly all Anime (Trigun 8O )

How did you find this website: An e-mail to my parents

Job: None

Plans for the future: Math teacher or some type of scientist

Comments: I have always yearned for an online community of people more like me.

NanoTy
Raven
Raven

08 Jul 2004, 1:04 pm

Name: Tyson

Hobbies and Interests: hiking, bird watching, movies, Internet

Why are you here? I have Asperger's Syndrome

Time of diagnosis: at age 15 in 2001

Favorite subjects: physical sciences and math

Year/Grade: I will be starting at Georgia Tech in the fall

Favorite music: I really do not like music

Books: Harry Potter

Movies: Lost in Translation

Instrument: I have played the clarinet

Sports: I have played tennis

Family: mom-ADD, dad-possible Asperger's, 20 year old sister-ADD

Clothing: jeans, tee shirts, polo shirts, nothing special

How did you find this website? from the Dallas Asperger's Group

Job: college student

Plans for the future: I hope to get an MS in Materials Science and Engineering and work in the nanotechnology industry.

kitty543
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jul 2004, 7:33 pm

What is your first name? Sylvia

What is your age ? 18

Where do u come fom England - Britian

hobbies? Watching cable tv - caring for my cats and computer games

Family? Mum. Dad . sister and two older brothers and one half brother

Sports? I used to do ice skating and badmimton

Music? I like wstlife - Ronan keating - usher - anything with a beat really

why are u here = i have AS AND OCD ( obsessive thoughts)

when were u diagnosed - last year in a psyciatric unit

what would u lie to do in the future - i would like to be an animal care assistant - specialising in looking after cats - in a cattery

what are u doing at the moment - nothing - but i am staring an animal care course at bracenhusrst college in september

yours sincerely

miss kitty543

mentalman

11 Jul 2004, 12:34 am

What is your first name? Andrew

Hobbies and Interests: Internet, reading, computers, Geographical Information Systems, reading fiction, browsing the Net, listening to College Radio (89.9 FM in Missoula), you can find out how to listen to it free from anywhere in the world at www.kbga.org

Why are you here? I've got Aspergers

When were you diagnosed? Self-diagnosed, may have to get an official diagnosis depending on how college starts out.

Favorite subjects: Computers, GIS, talking about relationships, helping people with computers, Biking.

Year/Grade: currently homeschooled, start College on August 30th

Favorite music: Generally anything with a female artist - *really* dislike hard rock, i.e. Tool, Rage Against the Machine, etc. or Rap/Hip Hop with swear words - really don't like swear words at all.

My current Favorite artists are: Celine Dion, Eddie Brickell, Sara McLaclan (spelling?), Enya, Lorenna McKennit, and whoever else is in my CD collection.

Books: Don't really have many favorites - loved the Jean Auel series, sometimes read romance novels when I get lonely for a girlfriend, love to read science fiction, young-adult themed books - i.e. books about issues faced by real-life teens (divorce, sex, pregnancies, relationships, etc.), historical fiction, and lots more.

TV shows/Movies: don't watch TV - there's nothing good at all on it - owned way too much by coporate Republican companies.

Movies - I'm a hopeless romantic, and love soppy romantic movies - You've Got Mail, Simply Irresistable, etc. I also like drama as long as there's not too much violence - can't stand action flicks.

Instrument: I played the piano for 7 years, but my piano teacher was not focused on playing for love of the instrument, so lost interest and quit playing. Have played the violin for about 7 years, and love it, although I'm terrible about practicing my music. If you give me two days, can play recorder pretty well. Most of my family play at least one instrument, if not two or three.

Do you like sports? If so, which ones?: Don't like playing them or watching them much. I assistant coach on the YMCA Swim Team here, and need to get back to swimming myself - am getting out of shape, and like to kick the soccer ball around or toss a football, but really don't like doing much in the way of team sports.

Family: I've got a nurse for a mom and a piano technician, musician for a Dad, and a crazy guy for a younger brother. My bro has ADD - not diagnosed, my mom's NT, and lots of my family members have Aspie traits, but nobody recognizes it except my core family, and my grandfather, who self-diagnosed after I started reading and learning about it. We also have 1 older dog, and one young, crazy, mostly feral cat.

Clothing: Mostly casual. I *love* cargo pants because of the pockets, and red/raspberry colors. Am comfortable in casuals and formals - wore a tux as standarad requirement for Missoula Youth Symphony concerts.

How did you find this website? Link on Aspie Hangout at DelphiForums.

Job: Currently am working two jobs - one at Cedar Mountain Software programming Access Databases in VBA and helping design/maintain websites. Just accepted temporary job helping digitize voter precincts.

Plans for the future? I want to work with GIS in conservation, although maybe I'll become a teacher helping people use GIS or computers.

Any comments? I love this site - lots of things for an Aspie to read and write about, and maybe I'll make some Aspie friends here.

Anybody from Montana send a private message with something to that effect in the subject line - I'd love to get to know you.

Sincerely yours,

mentalman