Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

krex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,106
Location: Village of the Damned

01 Mar 2007, 12:10 am

Inventor wrote:
I say you win the prize for best art. Do or dont do not matter. Al that counts is relating. A person can be bright, gifted, prefer their own world, and not have AS. They can still chose the company they like for their own reasons.

I can think of several members, the nice ones, who are going to respond well to you, and I hope you will feel the same. Some are card carrying, enrolled, certified, and others are freerange. Some of us older come from the natural habitat.

Some only read short sentances, others look for pages of text. I too recently discoved what fit, but can only look back, I would read a fresh point of view, untattered by long years of fitting in, where I did not fit.

Welcome OddCoyote, more art please, it feeds my eyes. No one has ever seen the world as you do, nor could describe it, as you will.


Speaking of long posts....I love to read yours....I am still waiting for your novel(assuming you havent published yet)I would love to read it.


_________________
Just because one plane is flying out of formation, doesn't mean the formation is on course....R.D.Lang

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/


Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Feb 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,295
Location: New Orleans

01 Mar 2007, 1:58 pm

I have it, my vision changes, but that is what second editions are for. Now I have an aspie obsession.
I though of asking if I could sell books and prints amoung the coffee mugs and t shirts.

I publish several books about motorcycles, and sell prints. I was working on the virtual art galley of New Orleans, when it washed away. I have a major laserjet with duplexer, and 24" roll printer. Mostly in the 18* x 24" to 24"x 30" format, good color, photo quality, 300dpi.

My book is a view of all life, before I discovered the aspie thing, just myself back then.

After fifteen years I did get the desktop publishing thing to work, books on demand. I am good with machines, can sorta use words, and am art impaired. So I looked to publish the work of others. A lot of talent here. PM me an address and I will send you a copy of the book. Now for some reason, I value the opinion of others?

I looked at the www of OddCoyote, there is a lot of talent here. AS falls far short of explaining such an identity. I do not like to be defined by others, AS is not a disability, or my identity. I am more than I was yesterday.

As Thomas Jefferson said, "Freedom of the press means owning one."

A question for Alex, a Wrong Planet book store and art gallery?



OddCoyote
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 27 Feb 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 226
Location: Under my bed

01 Mar 2007, 5:14 pm

Inventor wrote:
I have it, my vision changes, but that is what second editions are for. Now I have an aspie obsession.
I though of asking if I could sell books and prints amoung the coffee mugs and t shirts.

I publish several books about motorcycles, and sell prints. I was working on the virtual art galley of New Orleans, when it washed away. I have a major laserjet with duplexer, and 24" roll printer. Mostly in the 18* x 24" to 24"x 30" format, good color, photo quality, 300dpi.

My book is a view of all life, before I discovered the aspie thing, just myself back then.

After fifteen years I did get the desktop publishing thing to work, books on demand. I am good with machines, can sorta use words, and am art impaired. So I looked to publish the work of others. A lot of talent here. PM me an address and I will send you a copy of the book. Now for some reason, I value the opinion of others?

I looked at the www of OddCoyote, there is a lot of talent here. AS falls far short of explaining such an identity. I do not like to be defined by others, AS is not a disability, or my identity. I am more than I was yesterday.

As Thomas Jefferson said, "Freedom of the press means owning one."

A question for Alex, a Wrong Planet book store and art gallery?


Beauiful words. I will post my essay next.


_________________
Image
Yes, I am 14.


OddCoyote
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 27 Feb 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 226
Location: Under my bed

01 Mar 2007, 5:20 pm

A Self-Diagnostic of Asperger's Syndrome.
By Jake W. Pierce.

Defining Autism: Autism is considered a disorder with a neurological basis meaning a pathological condition relating to the brain and/or nervous system. Often beginning in early childhood found usually at the age of three years old a person may experience sensitivity to a number of different sensual stimuli, including lights, sounds, smells, tastes, tactile sensations, etc. This hypersensitivity may manifest itself in extreme avoidance of certain environmental aspects or stubborn clothing and food preferences. People with autism may also engage in self-stimulatory behavior by repetitively touching certain things, listening to specific sounds, and engaging in self-harm, among many behaviors. If over stimulated, the person may become extremely agitated or angry for no reason that is discernible to others, or people that are not autistic. Other specifically neurological signs include difficulty with fine and/or gross motor control meaning clumsiness, prosopagnosia (or "face blindness") lack of emotion expression, difficulty understanding verbal instructions or speech (e.g. Central Auditory Processing Disorder), and extreme visual or auditory skill or memory (a "photographic" or "tape recorder" memory).

Defining Asperger's Syndrome: Some professionals equate AS with high-functioning autism while others see it as a separate disorder. In any case, can exhibit a variety of characteristics and the disorder can range from mild too severe. OASIS decribes AS ("Persons with AS show marked deficiencies in social skills, have difficulties with transitions or changes and prefer sameness. They often have obsessive routines and may be preoccupied with a particular subject of interest. They have a great deal of difficulty reading nonverbal cues (body language) and very often the individual with AS has difficulty determining proper body space. Often overly sensitive to sounds, tastes, smells, and sights, the person with AS may prefer soft clothing, certain foods, and be bothered by sounds or lights no one else seems to hear or see. By definition, those with AS have a normal IQ and many individuals (although not all), exhibit exceptional skill or talent in a specific area. Because of their high degree of functionality and their naiveté, those with AS are often viewed as eccentric or odd and can easily become victims of teasing and bullying. While language development seems, on the surface, normal, individuals with AS often have deficits in pragmatics and prosody. Vocabularies may be extraordinarily rich and some children sound like "little professors." However, persons with AS can be extremely literal and have difficulty using language in a social context.")

List of simpler characteristics shown in AS.

Note: No one person with Aspergers Syndrome has all these characteristics. Characteristics that I express are marked with a "*".

1. Cognitive Learning
A. Excellent rote memory in certain areas.*
B. Unregulated fears; difficulty judging situations that create fear - may be overly fearful in safe situations, yet fearless in dangerous situations
C. Very detail-oriented*
1. Difficulty seeing overall picture or situation*
2. Applies same level of detail to every situation whether appropriate or not
D. May have exceptionally high skills in some areas, but very low skills in others, i.e., splinter skills, savant skills, or special talents*
E. Prefers concrete, rather than abstract, concepts*

2. Language
A. Pronoun reversal
B. Excellent vocabulary; may sound like “The Little Professor”*
C. Conversational language may appear stilted
D. Speaks with stock phrases or phrases borrowed from other situations or people*
E. Makes honest, but often-inappropriate observations*
F. Has difficulties adjusting volume and speed in speech*
G. Problems with prosody; irregular accenting and inflection used in conversation
H. Literal language: difficulty understanding figures of speech, similes, parodies, allegories, etc.
I. Speech may have started very early in development or may have started then stopped for a period of time
J. Repeats last word or phrases several times (echolalia)
K. Difficulty understanding some language, i.e., directional terms easily confused*

3. Emotions
A. Rage/anger/hurt may all be expressed in unexpected ways
B. Perfectionism*
C. Easily overstimulated by sound, crowds, lights, smells*
D. Inside feeling not matching outside behavior*

4. Motor Skills
A. Difficulty with some skills requiring motor skill development
1. Gross motor skills - riding bike, swimming, crawling
2. Fine motor skills - handwriting, tying shoes
B. May have some advanced, age-appropriate skills while other age-appropriate skills are delayed, i.e., tying shoes before climbing stairs
C. Unusual walking gait or clumsiness
D. Difficulty with motor skills that require visual perception accuracy, i.e., walking through a parking lot, revolving door or turnstiles, participating in sports, guiding a shopping cart

5. Perseveration
A. Obsession - the fact or state of being obsessed with an idea, desire, emotion, etc*
B. Compulsions - an irresistible, repeated, irrational impulse to perform some act*
C. Fascination with rotation
D. Many and varied collections
E. Redirection very difficult (changing focus or thinking from one activity or idea to another)*
F. One emotional incident can determine the mood for the rest of the day; can’t let emotions pass quickly*

6. Social Cues
A. Difficulty reading facial expression and emotion in another person
B. Difficulty understanding body language
C. Difficulty understanding the rules of conversation
D. Difficulty understanding group interactions
E. Too much or too little eye contact
F. Difficulty understanding others’ humor
G. Problems recognizing faces out of the usual setting or known context (face-blindness or prosopagnosia)*
H. Stand-offish or overly friendly*
I. May adopt others’ behaviors, speech or dress habits to aid in more fluid communication and social adaptation*

7. Senses
A. Very sensitive or undersensitive to light, pain, taste, touch, sound, smell
1. May have injuries of which they are not aware
2. May experience physical pain from oversensitivity to light, sound, touch
3. Very picky eater, both in selections of foods and in the way they are presented on the plate
4. May crave specific touch, taste, smell, sight, sound, lights*
B. Over-sensitive to change in surroundings, people, places*
C. Over stimulation may result from too many verbal directions or instructions

8. Comfort Skills
A. Desires comfort items to produce calming effect - blankets, stuffed animals
B. May need external (outside) stimulation for calming - brushing, soothing sound, rotating object*
C. Comforted by minor motor stimulations - rocking, humming, tapping fingers, toes, sucking, rubbing fingertips in circles or on seams of clothing*
D. May need separate space or area to decompress*
E. Unusual attachment to object
F. Self-stimulation i.e., rocking, tapping, humming, etc.,to increase concentration and attention or to calm down and relax*

9. Neurological Function
A. Erratic neurological function
1. Attention difficulties
2. Irregular sleep patterns*
B. Understanding and working with time concepts difficult
C. Sensory processing disorders (how the brain processes information it receives from the sensory organs)
1. Visual processing disorders
2. Auditory processing disorders
3. Sensory integration disorders

10. New Situations, Patterns, People
A. Rule-oriented
B. Prefers known patterns with little unexpected surprises*
C. Prefers familiar places, clothing, people*
D. Difficulty with transitions when changing activities
E. Difficulty making and maintaining friendships (especially peer friendships); more successful with adults than other children or young people*

Question and Answer. Possible arguments to diagnostic.
(This has been edited to a shorter version of only two questions. The ohters a to be edited.)

Q: If Asperger's Syndrome is a life long process and people with it have always had it why haven't you been noticed before and been diagnosed?

A: I believe this has to do with psychology. It is true that a person is born with it and is often diagnosed at a earlier age but the diagnostic usually comes from the fact that the child seems different than others and doesn’t "fit in". My belief is that I was raised in an environment or had experienced the right kind of people that I was unconsciously taught to fit in better therefore the AS that I had was wasn’t as severe in terms of how it affected me. Its is told that people with AS have much harder time learning than others in terms of body language or how people talk. I do not know if I had this problem because I did not remember much at that age. It important to that many people who have it diagnosed when they are adults an only 30-50 percent of the people have it are diagnosed. The s of having AS though are 2-3 in every 10,000 people making it less than even regular autism.

Q: Why do you think you have Asperger's Syndrome of this now?

A: I believe it has manifested its self more now than it had because the experiences I had that kept the signs as being as noticeable are no longer affecting me. Though I am not sure that it has been noticeable to my parents or anyone I know yet I think that I notice it in myself. The signs are mostly developing habits, and the way I see other things.


_________________
Image
Yes, I am 14.


krex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,106
Location: Village of the Damned

01 Mar 2007, 7:43 pm

I think you did a great job in capturing a picture of AS.Thanks for sharing that.

I also think you are right about not everyone with AS getting a DX when younger because of their particular environment and how the traits show in each individual.For one thing it wasnt even added to the DX manuel until 1993?Even now,it is difficult to find people who know about it or understand it(few experts).Many interventions that lead to a DX are because the individuals behavior is causing "problems" in school.If you are shy and quite and get picked on by others ....they dont consider that a problem.....if you fight back....then they might notice you.I also think many kids were misDX with ADHD because that became the popular DX for anyone who exhibits "differences" in cognition,peer issues and difficulty concintrating.There are some overlapping traits.....the problem is they are caused by different things and the treatment should be different......ie.....I am tapping my foot all the time because I am over stimulated by the noise and lights and am trying to self-sooth.....someone else is tapping his foot because he feels like an over stretched rubberband that needs to be released and is expelling the extra energy(like a person sweats to release to much heat).......

This gets really complicated if you have both ADD and AS.....Someone with ADHD may have difficulty because they are easily distracted by a physical need to move or talk....I may be distracted because ....I have already read what the teacher is reading and find her boring and redundant,I am focused on my current obsession.....(memorizing the curve of the neck of that guy In front of me),I have CAPD and cant understand what the heck that mumbling fool is saying and plan on reading the assignment when I get home...The teacher said something that sent my mind off into a more interesting tangent...

I was also raised by Christian Scientist who did not believe in going to DR and would never consider a "psychologist".They said they noticed how weird I was at the age of 9 but figured they could "train me out of it" and take care of the rest with prayer.....
Other parents may just be of the mind set that their child is just very unique and wonderful as they are and see no need of intervention of some fascist psych system.Some parents have so many AS traits themselves that they dont see anything "wrong"
(fish in the water).....So,there are many reasons kids would go unDXed.After all,it isnt a problem until it causes a problem for those in power(the decision makers)


_________________
Just because one plane is flying out of formation, doesn't mean the formation is on course....R.D.Lang

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/


OddCoyote
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 27 Feb 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 226
Location: Under my bed

01 Mar 2007, 7:55 pm

krex wrote:
I think you did a great job in capturing a picture of AS.Thanks for sharing that.

I also think you are right about not everyone with AS getting a DX when younger because of their particular environment and how the traits show in each individual.For one thing it wasnt even added to the DX manuel until 1993?Even now,it is difficult to find people who know about it or understand it(few experts).Many interventions that lead to a DX are because the individuals behavior is causing "problems" in school.If you are shy and quite and get picked on by others ....they dont consider that a problem.....if you fight back....then they might notice you.I also think many kids were misDX with ADHD because that became the popular DX for anyone who exhibits "differences" in cognition,peer issues and difficulty concintrating.There are some overlapping traits.....the problem is they are caused by different things and the treatment should be different......ie.....I am tapping my foot all the time because I am over stimulated by the noise and lights and am trying to self-sooth.....someone else is tapping his foot because he feels like an over stretched rubberband that needs to be released and is expelling the extra energy(like a person sweats to release to much heat).......

This gets really complicated if you have both ADD and AS.....Someone with ADHD may have difficulty because they are easily distracted by a physical need to move or talk....I may be distracted because ....I have already read what the teacher is reading and find her boring and redundant,I am focused on my current obsession.....(memorizing the curve of the neck of that guy In front of me),I have CAPD and cant understand what the heck that mumbling fool is saying and plan on reading the assignment when I get home...The teacher said something that sent my mind off into a more interesting tangent...

I was also raised by Christian Scientist who did not believe in going to DR and would never consider a "psychologist".They said they noticed how weird I was at the age of 9 but figured they could "train me out of it" and take care of the rest with prayer.....
Other parents may just be of the mind set that their child is just very unique and wonderful as they are and see no need of intervention of some fascist psych system.Some parents have so many AS traits themselves that they dont see anything "wrong"
(fish in the water).....So,there are many reasons kids would go unDXed.After all,it isnt a problem until it causes a problem for those in power(the decision makers)


Thank you very much. My thought are of the same sort. I put quite a few maybes as most about it is not a diffinte.


_________________
Image
Yes, I am 14.


Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Feb 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,295
Location: New Orleans

01 Mar 2007, 11:36 pm

Like shadow puppets, the shadow is seen but not what cast it. A Psychologist counts shadows but cannot know what casts them. large and close to the screen, or small and farther away. Only the images, not the causes.

Treatment is based on stamping out shadows. Weakness is sought, a master of math, and cannot spell, all the rest of your education will be spelling, to make you normal. They have found a shadow, concocted a treatment, and won. If you do not become normal, you fail again. If caught with a sliderule and a copy of Princepalia Mathematica, you are resisting treatment. Perhaps drug therapy, or rat poison.

Breaking away, going with my strong suit, I did well, in spite of their efforts to cripple me with normalacy. My obsessions with math and machines have no place in the world. Reading Science Fiction is considered a vice, I am cast out of the world, rejected, laughed at, a warning to the other children. I am fired from my first job with an uncle for buying a motorcycle. I go off and run a pool hall, develop a good stick, make lots of money. By seventeen , I am working in IT with the latest IBM machines. My family is horrorfied. I should get into something with a future, like construction laborer. Something suitable for a defective person like me.

I try to explain how information is reduced to data, and processed. I get yelled at, "Do not talk to me like you were some Professor!" "Where did you learn those words, that is not the way people speak!" I stop speaking. I enroll in the University. When my family discovers what I have done, they are very upset. "You can't do that, you never finished school, you are going to get in a lot of trouble for lying to them." I explain I got in by exam, and am accused of cheating. Every day seems worse, but with a 40 hour a week job, and full time at school, I stay gone. Every time I see them it is the same, "you can't do that, there is something wrong with your head for trying."

When grades come out I am an A-B student. I am accused of forging them. At dinner one night I say, I just want to go to school, no matter what you say, I am making it, and with a "Dont tell me what I say," I am punched in the Adam's apple, knocked over backwards, I get up, I cannot breath, make it to the front door, to my car, and leave with the clothes I am wearing. I have failed to live up to the lable of defective they put on me. It must be my fault.

After a few days at work, a last paycheck, I cannot get a refund on the tution I paid, I sell my motorcycle, start driving north. I do not know anyone to the north, and that makes it a good direction. I spend the next five years in New York City. No one knows me, or cares. Life is good.

If locked up for your behavior, it might be wise to ask what you should do to be released. Show them a shadow puppet show, fake it, let them treat it, make the shadows vanish, and everyone will be happy. Other than that, no one can ever know you like you do. Brains are a do it yourself project. "Know thyself."

I was mildly out of place, lacked family support, and once they had discovered something wrong with me, from a Professional, they bought in, and could not let go. With a supportive family it would have been no problem at all. I survived. I could have gone farther and done more. I do not think I have changed, the world has.

The only long term effect I notice is I continually refer to the Mental Heath Profession as Psycobabbling pillpushers. Their field has made no progress, is less scientific than Scientology, and the archtype of their profession is Hannibal Lector. If any of them would like to discuss it, I will be waiting in the alley by your car.



darkscorpion
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 13 Feb 2007
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 288
Location: Inverness, Scotland(Land of the Brave)

02 Mar 2007, 5:42 am

WELCOME TO WP!!
HAVE FUN TALKING TO PEOPLE!!


_________________
Alway be yourself dont be someone your Not


Go_lightly
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jan 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 78

02 Mar 2007, 6:48 am

I suspected I had AS until my therapist and my doctor said I had it. I didn´t say anything but I thought to myself "you idiots, you are sooo wrong".
I was wrong. :lol:



OddCoyote
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 27 Feb 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 226
Location: Under my bed

02 Mar 2007, 10:47 am

darkscorpion wrote:
WELCOME TO WP!!
HAVE FUN TALKING TO PEOPLE!!


Thank you very much.


_________________
Image
Yes, I am 14.


alex
Developer
Developer

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jun 2004
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,122
Location: Beverly Hills, CA

02 Mar 2007, 11:51 am

welcome. test.


_________________
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/alexplank

Personal FB: http://fb.me/alexplank1


OddCoyote
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 27 Feb 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 226
Location: Under my bed

02 Mar 2007, 8:53 pm

alex wrote:
welcome. test.


"Test"?


_________________
Image
Yes, I am 14.