Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

TigerEyes91
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jul 2014, 8:39 pm

I joined this forum mostly to get to know people with similar diagnosis, but am not too sure how to get to know people on forums, not much of a forum person this just seemed like the best option. I have friends but none I can really talk to about this stuff because they see it from an external perspective. They want to help but don't know how to fully relate. Since it seems next to impossible to find an adult support group for those of us with the damn diagnosis, and NOT for family members who just talk about how difficult they find it to be in our lives, I just want to know people who know what it's like. Who can relate to some extent. So, I will give more info. I'm 23, from Ireland, dropped out of college during 2013 and plan to go back after I travel and save money working abroad. I am into tattoos and piercing. I was often bullied as a child. I am detached at times from the friends I do currently have because I was treated so poorly in my younger days. I am a misanthrope. I am cynical and pessimistic at times, distrusting, so I lack the naive trait and appear blunt and closed off. I prefer travelling as a way of escaping from myself, not having time to be alone with thoughts that make me feel depressed and alone. I sometimes do drugs just to feel something. I plan on doing farm work or fruit picking work abroad and funding further travel, also using hubpages to write articles for supplementary income. I love music and write lyrics. I intend to start a business during my 20's probably in game development, but would like to diversify into other media projects. I like rock music, mostly old stuff like The Doors and I relate to Jim Morrison(the frontman of that band.) My hopes are that maybe I can share ideas and views with other people on this site. Preferably people who see us as a difference, not a disability.

Danimal
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jul 2014, 12:51 am

Welcome to WP.
I am 49 and diagnosed at 46. I, too, was often bullied as a child which left me wary and distrustful of other. I live in central Indiana amid the corn and soybean fields. I live in a rural area which affords me the quiet that I often need. I love travelling but don't have many opportunities these days. I was stationed in Germany at one time. I often travelled by myself, much to the surprise of my roommates in the barracks. I visited France, Italy, and Austria. I travelled more within Germany. Here at home I have travelled a few times fishing in Ontario and went canoeing once at the Boundary Waters in northern Minnesota. My dream is to hike Isle Royale National Park and attempt the Appalachian Trail. I recently camped and fished at Tippecanoe River State Park and want to camp soon at the Shades State Park near my home. It's good to get away at times and be alone with my thoughts.
I do not consider Aspergers to be a disability. I have benefitted from my unique abilities even though no one else really understands me. I have never found much in the way of support groups. Autism here is geared mainly to children.
I like mostly 70s/80s music, jazz, big band, Frank Sinatra songs, and indie music. I love the music of Foster the People.
I can't say I have cynical thoughts. I tend more to see things realistically and can be very blunt about my views.
I hope in your travels you can visit the United States. I think you would like it.

TigerEyes91

28 Jul 2014, 4:17 pm

I would enjoy visiting the states and plan to at some point. I have been to Canada at one point. The chilli served at Tim Hortons is amazing.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 4:22 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Danimal
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jul 2014, 9:09 am

I have been to a Tim Hortons in Ontario. I think they are going to expand into the US.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2014, 9:20 am

There's lots of Tim Horton's in the Buffalo area. There's at least one in NYC.

Tim Horton was a famous hockey player. He died in 1974.

Tim Horton's seems to be on every street corner in the urban parts of Canada.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2014, 9:24 am

Hey Tiger:

how do you feel about the western part of Ireland?

FracturedRocket
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2014, 1:56 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

TigerEyes91

30 Jul 2014, 2:47 pm

The food and service can be very good at Tim Horton's, I wish they'd expand into Ireland fully, too, but there are only small self service vendors in some stores here in Ireland.

The western part of Ireland is okay, very peaceful. I went on a field trip during my teenage school years. Waves crashing, sheep baaing, the only downside is all the animal waste found on hills..