Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Mrs.M.Myers13
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jul 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 3
Location: England, UK

21 Jul 2019, 9:41 am

I am a 24 year old from England, I was diagnosed with Aspergers last week. I have had depression for as long as I can remember and I generally struggle with life. Although I have suspected that I have Aspergers for a while I am still struggling with the recent diagnosis. I find that people, even my own family don't understand and I'm sure they think that I'm making it up. I guess I'm looking for a place to chat and vent, and I also hope to find people that understand. I also want to learn more about Aspergers and Autism and how it effects me and others. I look forward to hearing from you and exploring Wrong Planet a bit more :)



jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2018
Age: 72
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,832
Location: Indiana

21 Jul 2019, 10:44 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet!


_________________
Author of Practical Preparations for a Coronavirus Pandemic.
A very unique plan. As Dr. Paul Thompson wrote, "This is the very best paper on the virus I have ever seen."


Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 May 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,998
Location: Wales,UK Relationship: Single Interests: Trains AgeGroup: 40's FavouriteColor: Green Music: CyndiLauper Pets: Cats and Ducks Feet: Two

21 Jul 2019, 10:47 am

Welcome.


_________________
Awaiting asessment. Neurodiverse 173/200. Neurotypical 21/200. Empathy 11/80. AQ 39.
Shutdown link: --》 Music I love: --》
Shutdown Experience similar to mine: --》


Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 May 2019
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 518
Location: Mid-Atlantic USA

21 Jul 2019, 12:43 pm

Hi! Welcome!


_________________
When anti-vaxxers get in my face, I say ... Have a Nice Day!


AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 60,100
Location: Portland, Oregon

21 Jul 2019, 12:45 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)


_________________
Silly NTs, I have Aspergers, and having Aspergers is gr-r-reat!


Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Sep 2018
Age: 63
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,933
Location: New York City (Queens)

21 Jul 2019, 1:30 pm

Mrs.M.Myers13 wrote:
I find that people, even my own family don't understand and I'm sure they think that I'm making it up.

I'm sorry to hear this. Alas, this seems to be a common problem among people diagnosed in adulthood. It isn't something I've experienced myself, but various other people, both here on WrongPlanet and in the in-person support groups I attend here in NYC, have reported disbelief from families.


_________________
- Autistic in NYC - Resources and new ideas for the autistic adult community in the New York City metro area.
- Autistic peer-led groups (via text-based chat, currently) led or facilitated by members of the Autistic Peer Leadership Group.
- Longterm visions for the autistic community


LiverpoolDave
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jul 2019
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 20
Location: Worcester Park, UK

29 Jul 2019, 3:16 am

I can relate to your situation; none of my family really understand my condition either and I tend to get pretty much marginalised at family events as a result. I have a teenage son with Aspergers and oddly they seem to be ok with him, an autistic child seems to pose no particular challenges but an autistic adult is something they don't seem to want to contemplate or to spend much time with. I have quite a close family and they regularly get together for picnics, barbecues and even the odd weekend away, and while I've always enjoyed these events on one level, I have always struggled with the social anxiety aspect of them and the often reinforced knowledge that I am not clever or witty or successful like most of my family seem to be.

There was one event I particularly remember when we were all in a pub after an anniversary dinner. I was at the end of the table, as I normally am, opposite a family friend. While other people further up the table were talking animatedly about some new projects they had on the go, I tried to engage the family friend in conversation on one of the small topics of conversation I can easily do; after a few minutes, and scarcely bothering to conceal his lack of interest in whatever it was I was trying to talk about, he got up, picked up his chair and took it up the table so he could sit with the more interesting people, and I was left in splendid isolation with my mouth still open from my last sentence. Inevitably I've had my share of humiliations over the years but that one always stands out in my memory.

Like you I have always had depression; sadly I think that it goes with the territory, it's not easy to deal with the isolation and the sense of never really fitting in anywhere. At my lowest points I just want to go home, home being wherever my long-dead parents are. Welcome to the site anyway, I hope you find the support you are looking for here.



Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 May 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,998
Location: Wales,UK Relationship: Single Interests: Trains AgeGroup: 40's FavouriteColor: Green Music: CyndiLauper Pets: Cats and Ducks Feet: Two

29 Jul 2019, 4:04 am

Liverpool Dave. The great thing is that there are people in here that understand you, or can relate to you. I have not been assessed yet but I am either on the spectrum or have traits of it.... But for most of my life I have felt alone as far as people are concerned. It is like only my Mum can begine to understand me as she shares a few of the traits that I get (Though not all as she seems to be one who attracts people while I struggle in this way. I sometimes feel like some sort of monster the way people relate to me in groups at times... They take their children away from me and I don't know why or what they see in me that looks different).
Anyway, for most of my life I have known I am different and this brings lonliness as I can't connect with people. I find that though I avoid crowds as I just don't like crowded enviroments... They can make me panic... But, generally, I can be in a crowd of people who I know and still feel lonely! They all seem to talk to each other and I seem to be left out.
But the great thing is that on this site, people know where I am coming from. I can connect with them somehow, as they understand. I was amazed that I have actually found "Normal" people in this world that I can relate to and talk to. People who are not just trying to be polite like kind souls I often meet (And God bless them. They are lovely), but people that actually understand me. It makes a huge difference.

And something I am excited about which I did not think I would be. If When I am assessed, it is asperges or autism that I have, then I am actually excited to meet others who have the same. I had been thinking along the lines of "Why do I want to meet people who have problems I don't understand". I know this is an odd thing to say, but when I stim (I didn't know it was stimming) or avoid eye contact or something along those lines, it is very subtle and I didn't even know why I was subtly stimming except certain things I would do when I was nurvous. You see, I was taught to try to behave like everyone else, so if someone noticed something I did that was different, I would be told off for it... So I would force myself not to do it, or try to do what is percieved as normal, like eye contact (Most people don't notice, but I either turn my face towards them, and my eyes would look slightly left or right of them, or I could put my eyes into a type of trance where I take them out of focus... Though when I do this and the other person moves, my eyes don't follow them which give the game away! I also tend to stare a people or things when my mind goes blank or if I am deep in thought. I don't often know I have done this untill I "Click out of it" when I realize I have done it).


_________________
Awaiting asessment. Neurodiverse 173/200. Neurotypical 21/200. Empathy 11/80. AQ 39.
Shutdown link: --》 Music I love: --》
Shutdown Experience similar to mine: --》


Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 42,751
Location: Houston, Texas

29 Jul 2019, 4:13 am

Welcome to WP!


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!


LiverpoolDave
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jul 2019
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 20
Location: Worcester Park, UK

29 Jul 2019, 9:00 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Liverpool Dave. The great thing is that there are people in here that understand you, or can relate to you. I have not been assessed yet but I am either on the spectrum or have traits of it.... But for most of my life I have felt alone as far as people are concerned. It is like only my Mum can begine to understand me as she shares a few of the traits that I get (Though not all as she seems to be one who attracts people while I struggle in this way. I sometimes feel like some sort of monster the way people relate to me in groups at times... They take their children away from me and I don't know why or what they see in me that looks different).
Anyway, for most of my life I have known I am different and this brings lonliness as I can't connect with people. I find that though I avoid crowds as I just don't like crowded enviroments... They can make me panic... But, generally, I can be in a crowd of people who I know and still feel lonely! They all seem to talk to each other and I seem to be left out.
But the great thing is that on this site, people know where I am coming from. I can connect with them somehow, as they understand. I was amazed that I have actually found "Normal" people in this world that I can relate to and talk to. People who are not just trying to be polite like kind souls I often meet (And God bless them. They are lovely), but people that actually understand me. It makes a huge difference.

And something I am excited about which I did not think I would be. If When I am assessed, it is asperges or autism that I have, then I am actually excited to meet others who have the same. I had been thinking along the lines of "Why do I want to meet people who have problems I don't understand". I know this is an odd thing to say, but when I stim (I didn't know it was stimming) or avoid eye contact or something along those lines, it is very subtle and I didn't even know why I was subtly stimming except certain things I would do when I was nurvous. You see, I was taught to try to behave like everyone else, so if someone noticed something I did that was different, I would be told off for it... So I would force myself not to do it, or try to do what is percieved as normal, like eye contact (Most people don't notice, but I either turn my face towards them, and my eyes would look slightly left or right of them, or I could put my eyes into a type of trance where I take them out of focus... Though when I do this and the other person moves, my eyes don't follow them which give the game away! I also tend to stare a people or things when my mind goes blank or if I am deep in thought. I don't often know I have done this untill I "Click out of it" when I realize I have done it).


Yes it is interesting to compare notes with others on the spectrum, and it is good to be among people who can understand and won't just think you're an oddball. I guess I thought I was becoming more ok about being what I am and with other peoples' response to it, but it still hurts sometimes when I become aware that family members are making fun of me, even if they are doing it in quite a gentle way. I am sorry to hear about your experiences in groups of people. I have a young niece and she and her husband are quite protective of their little girls when my son is around and I find that hard, as there is no way he would harm those girls. They seem to think that being Aspergers makes him into some kind of dangerous monster. He doesn't seem to notice it, which is just as well as it would hurt him too if he knew I think.

I find with crowds wearing my reading glasses helps an awful lot. They become a blur and I feel quite insulated from them. It becomes necessary to watch where I am going quite carefully tho!



Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 May 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,998
Location: Wales,UK Relationship: Single Interests: Trains AgeGroup: 40's FavouriteColor: Green Music: CyndiLauper Pets: Cats and Ducks Feet: Two

29 Jul 2019, 1:10 pm

LiverpoolDave wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Liverpool Dave. The great thing is that there are people in here that understand you, or can relate to you. I have not been assessed yet but I am either on the spectrum or have traits of it.... But for most of my life I have felt alone as far as people are concerned. It is like only my Mum can begine to understand me as she shares a few of the traits that I get (Though not all as she seems to be one who attracts people while I struggle in this way. I sometimes feel like some sort of monster the way people relate to me in groups at times... They take their children away from me and I don't know why or what they see in me that looks different).
Anyway, for most of my life I have known I am different and this brings lonliness as I can't connect with people. I find that though I avoid crowds as I just don't like crowded enviroments... They can make me panic... But, generally, I can be in a crowd of people who I know and still feel lonely! They all seem to talk to each other and I seem to be left out.
But the great thing is that on this site, people know where I am coming from. I can connect with them somehow, as they understand. I was amazed that I have actually found "Normal" people in this world that I can relate to and talk to. People who are not just trying to be polite like kind souls I often meet (And God bless them. They are lovely), but people that actually understand me. It makes a huge difference.

And something I am excited about which I did not think I would be. If When I am assessed, it is asperges or autism that I have, then I am actually excited to meet others who have the same. I had been thinking along the lines of "Why do I want to meet people who have problems I don't understand". I know this is an odd thing to say, but when I stim (I didn't know it was stimming) or avoid eye contact or something along those lines, it is very subtle and I didn't even know why I was subtly stimming except certain things I would do when I was nurvous. You see, I was taught to try to behave like everyone else, so if someone noticed something I did that was different, I would be told off for it... So I would force myself not to do it, or try to do what is percieved as normal, like eye contact (Most people don't notice, but I either turn my face towards them, and my eyes would look slightly left or right of them, or I could put my eyes into a type of trance where I take them out of focus... Though when I do this and the other person moves, my eyes don't follow them which give the game away! I also tend to stare a people or things when my mind goes blank or if I am deep in thought. I don't often know I have done this untill I "Click out of it" when I realize I have done it).


Yes it is interesting to compare notes with others on the spectrum, and it is good to be among people who can understand and won't just think you're an oddball. I guess I thought I was becoming more ok about being what I am and with other peoples' response to it, but it still hurts sometimes when I become aware that family members are making fun of me, even if they are doing it in quite a gentle way. I am sorry to hear about your experiences in groups of people. I have a young niece and she and her husband are quite protective of their little girls when my son is around and I find that hard, as there is no way he would harm those girls. They seem to think that being Aspergers makes him into some kind of dangerous monster. He doesn't seem to notice it, which is just as well as it would hurt him too if he knew I think.

I find with crowds wearing my reading glasses helps an awful lot. They become a blur and I feel quite insulated from them. It becomes necessary to watch where I am going quite carefully tho!


Last year I had to walk through the outdoor main street of the town centre on a busy day. I tried to walk through quickly and all the crowds ended up like walls of a tunnel. They were a blurr. I have not had that happen before.


_________________
Awaiting asessment. Neurodiverse 173/200. Neurotypical 21/200. Empathy 11/80. AQ 39.
Shutdown link: --》 Music I love: --》
Shutdown Experience similar to mine: --》


aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2019
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 929
Location: Australia

02 Aug 2019, 2:28 am

Hi,

I'm newly diagnosed too, but I'm in my 40s. I hope you find some of your own kind here. Human's that you can relate to and you might actually understand you.