Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AliceKathleen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Mar 2015, 9:56 am

Hi, do you get tired of the assumption that all aspies are kids? Well, we know that aspies do grow older, and I am
one of them. Would love to chat with others my age who have learned much about life over the decades. I was born in 1945. Boomers rule!

Alice

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 11:04 am

I was born 1956, which makes me on the young side of the boomer generation. Just diagnosed at the age of 58.

seadog
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Mar 2015, 2:02 pm

Hi, I was born in 57'. I was diagnosed in 2nd grade with Dislexia. So that was not told to me until I was in my 20's and not from my parents(which come to find out only one new). So i thought i was "stupid" all that time "not". Long happy life with struggles but made it till now. Yes, we know ALOT about this subject. Olders, better, lol Nice to meet you too.

creepycrawly36
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Mar 2015, 4:51 pm

I may not be considered a senior quite yet, but I plan on being one, one day. I'm in my mid 40's, so I still have a fair amount of life experience. Anyway nice to meet you.

Koldune
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Location: At the tree from whither come the roots of which no one knows

15 Mar 2015, 11:27 pm

Same here. Born in 1956, diagnosed in 2005. Struggled through 20 years in the military before the diagnosis even existed in the U.S.

?E. Weatherwax
Pro te ipso faciete. (Do for yourself.)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 8:43 am

I was born in 1961. I qualify as a "baby-boomer." I've had lots of experience in life.

I hope I qualify! :wink:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 8:49 am

Born in 1957. Diagnosed about 5 years ago. Raised by a father who seemed to believe that any learning disabilities could be beaten out of a child, and that children could be shamed into being less socially awkward.

Observation: Pastors and preachers would rather side with the bullies in their congregation than admit that even one of their congregants might have trouble fitting in.

I hate religion.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 9:07 am

Born in early1943 and by 2nd grade separated myself mentally and (mostly) emotionally from verbal bullying (physical was another issue).

Many of us were smart enough to survive but my heart bleeds for those who were not. Nice to see you here. :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 9:49 am

Yep...the key was to get out of the Social Darwinist morass.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 9:57 am

Good to hear from you Alice. I was born in 1958, - slightly too young to be a baby boomer - and am currently going through diagnosis - which is likely to be subclinical, making me a 'cousin' at the high-functioning end of the spectrum. Life has been interesting, to say the least.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 10:28 am

It's interesting about Baby Boomers:

I often see those referred to as "Baby Boomers" as those who were born between 1946 and 1964.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 11:06 am

Interesting. I've never been sure whether I 'qualify' or not, but by that criteria I do.

Koldune
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Location: At the tree from whither come the roots of which no one knows

16 Mar 2015, 2:41 pm

Fnord wrote:
... and that children could be shamed into being less socially awkward.

I think the military has more or less the same mindset. First off, in my experience, they think that anyone can be trained as an effective manager, given time, and that anyone having trouble learning to be one is probably being lazy. Second, most of them think that there's no such thing as inability to communicate effectively, and that if communication isn't happening well, then someone is being deliberately negligent. Third, they think that the path to what they call "good judgment" should be obvious to anyone who is really paying attention, and that anyone who processes information differently from their norm, and thus comes up with solutions different from what they expect, is, again, being deliberately negligent.

?E. Weatherwax
Pro te ipso faciete. (Do for yourself.)

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 3:28 pm

Koldune wrote:
Fnord wrote:
... and that children could be shamed into being less socially awkward.

I think the military has more or less the same mindset. First off, in my experience, they think that anyone can be trained as an effective manager, given time, and that anyone having trouble learning to be one is probably being lazy. Second, most of them think that there's no such thing as inability to communicate effectively, and that if communication isn't happening well, then someone is being deliberately negligent. Third, they think that the path to what they call "good judgment" should be obvious to anyone who is really paying attention, and that anyone who processes information differently from their norm, and thus comes up with solutions different from what they expect, is, again, being deliberately negligent.

Having served in the army I completely agree with this. Its often said that the phrase 'military intelligence' is a contradiction in terms.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 5:35 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! I was born in 1990, diagnosed in 2003.

My mom is a "baby boomer" because she was born in 1953 and to this day is an "Autism denier", meaning that she doesn't believe ASD actually exists.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 5:51 pm

Born 1947.

Created an acronym purely for amusement value: SOTS! (Seniors On The Spectrum). Makes me laugh anyway :)

Just realised that the younger ones are JOTS :lol: