Page 3 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2015
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,135
Location: Washington state

27 Dec 2015, 12:15 am

cberg wrote:
@AJ: Clearly a civilization of billions requires NTs. NT is just a shorthand generalization anyway, any species lacking in perceptual variance tends to die out pretty quick.


I'm not sure what you're referring to there. That seems kind of out of the blue.


_________________
Yes, I have autism. No, it isn't "part of me". Yes, I hate my autism. No, I don't hate myself.


Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,700
Location: Beautiful(?) West Manchester Township PA

27 Dec 2015, 12:53 am

methodic wrote:
cberg wrote:
Kthanxbai

typical autistic rebuttal, shunning away from criticism
however I know you're all to arrogant to understand where I'm coming from
autists always think they're right


Such bitterness!

Pally, before you condemn the rest of the spectrum, maybe you ought try walking in someone else's shoes. I've been on this f!cking rock for 58 years, and no one, and I mean NO ONE owes me a living. As my brothers so derisively like to remind me, I made my own bed and mess,now you can lie in it! Could I use help now, as well in the past? Hell,yes. Will I get any help now, as well as in the future, on anything? Hell, NO! Every time I have asked for help, I've been told to go f!ck yourself.

Just get over yourself.



marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Apr 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 589
Location: Washington

27 Dec 2015, 1:49 am

methodic wrote:
I grew overtime to hate every single other autistic individual I met.

Talk about first impressions! 8O

methodic wrote:
You may disregard me as a troll but I have a legitimate reasoning.

It's kinda hard not to disregard you as a troll at this point. Don't ya think? Just a little advice, try not starting off with the premise of hatred. :wink:

methodic wrote:
No other community formed around a mental illness is as boisterous as the autism community.
There are multiple forums dedicated to social anxiety, depression, PTSD, etc... however, none glorify their own illness but instead treat it as something to overcome. I've been told by counselors to explain that I have autism before I meet people, or to embrace my aspergers as a part of who I am instead of as an illness. You, the autistic community, are tolerated solely because society can support you.

So what's the problem? Would you rather us be unhappy and dead? Should society not tolerate people with autism when they can?

methodic wrote:
Inclusion has become a concern to multiple people as well as private and public entities to save face. Autistics as well as anyone else labelled as a victim by society is included in an effort to broaden inclusiveness.
Isn't the alternative having a good majority of autistic people being rejected due to their inability of social adeptness? Perhaps you have been able to overcome your personal obstacles caused by autistic traits, and that's great. But have you considered that others might have even worse problems than yourself? What works for one may not work for another.

methodic wrote:
Because of this, autistic people are encouraged to expect society to conform to them instead of they themselves conforming to society.
Not nearly as much as you would think. As a matter of fact, there is still much gross misrepresentation, ignorance, parents in denial, people fighting for eugenics as a solution to autism. But also, there are people who say that we CAN learn to work and function within society, just that it would not be so easy.

Just look at what one "poster child" of autism, Temple Grandin, is famous for quoting:

"You have got to keep autistic children engaged with the world. You cannot let them tune out."

She is an autistic person that many on this website look up to as a role model of sorts. She has not been teaching as you claim. She never let her diagnosis hold her back from reaching her full potential in life and overcoming the negative symptoms of autism. And Temple Grandin certainly has a better attitude than what you have shown us so far.

methodic wrote:
However, autism isn't a different way of thinking, it is an illness. You all depend on neurotypicals in some whether you like it or not.

Autism, by definition is a mental disorder, not an illness. It inherently causes a different way of thinking by virtue of being a mental disorder. Even so, what's your point? Neuro typicals also depend on Neuro typicals. Society is built on the premise of co-depedency. What, you want us all to live in caves and farm and hunt on our own? Come on, we'll go down to the South American jungles right now. :mrgreen:

The truth is that, YOU, me, everyone depends on neurotypicals, however direct or indirectly. In some way or another. You're not really telling us anything new, or shocking. This is a straw man argument here.

methodic wrote:
If society were comprised of a majority autistics, it would lead to ruination. Most autistics embrace their symptoms and their quirks and expect others to deal with them or help accommodate them.


This is not even scientific. We have no practical way to verify the truth of what you are saying here. This is entirely coming from your own hatred and bitterness. Very presumptuous and judgmental are your statements. Again, a straw-man argument. Best to move on, buddy.

methodic wrote:
f**k that, and if it applies to you, f**k you. You are the problem and the reason I can't be taken seriously for admitting my disability.
What are you accomplishing with this blame game?

methodic wrote:
And to anyone who is self diagnosed but barely has any real autistic traits and are instead using the label for sympathy or attention, you are why people doubt autism is a legitimate illness.

This here might be one of the few things I agree on in part.

methodic wrote:
For years I dealt with my symptoms and struggled to become an independent adult. I only managed to do so out of grueling hard work for years on end.

Congratulations! Welcome to club. Many other autistics and neuro typicals on this website have as well.

methodic wrote:
People with high functioning autism don't need coddling, they need to suffer until they appreciate independence and being able to train yourself to maintain a neurotypical appearance.

I agree with this statement. Suffering can be a great teacher in life, and can help push us to achieve our full potential in life. It is good to strive to meet society halfway as best as we can, and not expect them to coddle us. But I don't believe we should be ostracized or ridiculed if we fail occasionally. Should there not be a little mercy?

methodic wrote:
Your eccentricity isn't a positive thing, it's obnoxious and you are a leach unless you figure out how to provide for yourself like everyone else. I hope you all rot. This is my first and last post here.

Well, nice to meet you too. Your attitude certainly does not seem like a positive thing, though. I believe in hard work, suffering against ourselves to reach our full potential, and not using autism as an excuse or attention seeking method. Yet I do not hold a stinky, poopy attitude, nor do I blame others for how difficult the challenges are that I face in life.

Are you just wanting to vent? Or do you have another purpose in mind for your rant?

Welcome aboard, by the way! I love you, I do not hate. :heart:


_________________
The cutest most lovable little rob0t on Earth! (^.^)


cberg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,183
Location: A swiftly tilting planet

27 Dec 2015, 1:56 am

AJisHere wrote:
cberg wrote:
@AJ: Clearly a civilization of billions requires NTs. NT is just a shorthand generalization anyway, any species lacking in perceptual variance tends to die out pretty quick.


I'm not sure what you're referring to there. That seems kind of out of the blue.


In other words, 'Neurotypical' is a bit of a misnomer - neural structures can only arise through differentiation. Nobody has just one nervous system hence it would be impossible to sustain human capacity for just about anything without malleability in any & all neurotypes.


_________________
"Standing on a well-chilled cinder, we see the fading of the suns, and try to recall the vanished brilliance of the origin of the worlds."
-Georges Lemaitre
"I fly through hyperspace, in my green computer interface"
-Gem Tos :mrgreen:


Dennis Prichard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 3 Dec 2015
Age: 41
Posts: 214
Location: China

27 Dec 2015, 2:01 am

I have tried to conform to society's standard, but the truth is people don't like me. When I talk about what I want to talk about, people move away from me.

I know now that that is a neurological, and knowing that helps guide me through a lonely confusing world past and present.

But it seems defining oneself, explaining oneself is something you have an objection to.


_________________
I'm a language teacher and amateur language scientist.
I want to develop a theory of language that can benefit people with autism as well as other disorders. I need people to knock ideas off so if you're at all interested please contact me.


AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2015
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,135
Location: Washington state

27 Dec 2015, 2:08 am

cberg wrote:
In other words, 'Neurotypical' is a bit of a misnomer - neural structures can only arise through differentiation. Nobody has just one nervous system hence it would be impossible to sustain human capacity for just about anything without malleability in any & all neurotypes.


Makes sense, and it's the reason I intensely dislike the term "neurotypical" and the entire concept of neurotypes.


_________________
Yes, I have autism. No, it isn't "part of me". Yes, I hate my autism. No, I don't hate myself.


Kyle Katarn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Dec 2015
Age: 26
Posts: 1,181

27 Dec 2015, 3:45 pm

methodic wrote:
Seems to me this site is a delusional hug box.

Agreed.

Members send each other virtual affection and whatnot, but this sort of communication feels empty.

In fact, I've recently noticed that I get more lonely when I'm here. This is because interacting with strangers on the web is not real social contact, just insipid exchange of information. Which makes me desire genuine interaction.

Sea water just makes you thirstier, you need to drink fresh water.



marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Apr 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 589
Location: Washington

27 Dec 2015, 3:53 pm

Kyle Katarn wrote:
methodic wrote:
Seems to me this site is a delusional hug box.

Agreed.

Members send each other virtual affection and whatnot, but this sort of communication feels empty.

In fact, I've recently noticed that I get more lonely when I'm here. This is because interacting with strangers on the web is not real social contact, just insipid exchange of information. Which makes me desire genuine interaction.

Sea water just makes you thirstier, you need to drink fresh water.

Whenever I go to swim in the ocean, I make sure to have access to fresh drinking water as well. :)

This site is not meant as a replacement for real social contact. But some people try to use it as such. That's their problem. If this site weren't around, they'd just find some other place to do the same thing.

The same can be said for any social media website, though. Especially Facebook, and things like that.


_________________
The cutest most lovable little rob0t on Earth! (^.^)


marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Apr 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 589
Location: Washington

27 Dec 2015, 3:57 pm

Kyle Katarn wrote:
In fact, I've recently noticed that I get more lonely when I'm here. This is because interacting with strangers on the web is not real social contact, just insipid exchange of information. Which makes me desire genuine interaction.


Also, I've made some of the deepest connections to people through online chat and personal messaging, who I've never met in real life. So I guess my experience has been different than yours. I don't feel so lonely when I talk to people online, and it's been a couple of years.

One of my best online friends lives in Estonia by the way! ^,^


_________________
The cutest most lovable little rob0t on Earth! (^.^)


Kyle Katarn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Dec 2015
Age: 26
Posts: 1,181

27 Dec 2015, 4:10 pm

On Facebook I chat with people whom I know IRL. This doesn't aggravate my loneliness.

But when I try to chat with total strangers on the net, the thirst for real contact kicks in.



marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Apr 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 589
Location: Washington

27 Dec 2015, 4:22 pm

Kyle Katarn wrote:
On Facebook I chat with people whom I know IRL. This doesn't aggravate my loneliness.

But when I try to chat with total strangers on the net, the thirst for real contact kicks in.


I guess the phrase, "different strokes for different folks" comes to mind.

I don't really use Wrong Planet as a means for replacing real life social contact, but rather for the purpose of gathering information or encouraging others. I also like finding out what other people think on issues, even if I don't necessarily agree.

I normally chat using the text feature on Skype, myself. I do plan on actually visiting my online friends one day, through multiple world tours! :heart:


_________________
The cutest most lovable little rob0t on Earth! (^.^)


Dennis Prichard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 3 Dec 2015
Age: 41
Posts: 214
Location: China

27 Dec 2015, 7:53 pm

It seems that the original poster is not the only one who dislikes defining himself.

Other people here don't like that too, but you know what even if you don't want to put yourself into a box you'll fall into one any way.

People whether they be neurotypical or autistic want to be accepted by others even if they don't consiously want to admit to it. Being accepted by others means taking on characteristics of a certain group.

By refusing to be labelled you are simply refusing knowledge of yourself.


_________________
I'm a language teacher and amateur language scientist.
I want to develop a theory of language that can benefit people with autism as well as other disorders. I need people to knock ideas off so if you're at all interested please contact me.


Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jun 2015
Age: 18
Posts: 1,046
Location: Southern Ontario

27 Dec 2015, 8:18 pm

But social anxiety, depression and PTSD can all go away. Autism is incurable. Trying your entire life to cure something that is not curable seems like a pointless exercise.


_________________
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on with prime numbers."

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider


cberg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,183
Location: A swiftly tilting planet

27 Dec 2015, 8:42 pm

marcb0t wrote:
Kyle Katarn wrote:
On Facebook I chat with people whom I know IRL. This doesn't aggravate my loneliness.

But when I try to chat with total strangers on the net, the thirst for real contact kicks in.


I guess the phrase, "different strokes for different folks" comes to mind.

I don't really use Wrong Planet as a means for replacing real life social contact, but rather for the purpose of gathering information or encouraging others. I also like finding out what other people think on issues, even if I don't necessarily agree.

I normally chat using the text feature on Skype, myself. I do plan on actually visiting my online friends one day, through multiple world tours! :heart:


What's delusional about meeting people all over the world? I think socializing only within one's own city/state seems like an awful delusion. That would be unbearably claustrophobic IMO. The internet may be majority comprised of machines but it's a material construct no different from us users. I can't imagine living with so little context.


_________________
"Standing on a well-chilled cinder, we see the fading of the suns, and try to recall the vanished brilliance of the origin of the worlds."
-Georges Lemaitre
"I fly through hyperspace, in my green computer interface"
-Gem Tos :mrgreen:


AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2015
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,135
Location: Washington state

27 Dec 2015, 11:35 pm

I'm not even sure why I'm here. I think to see if I can find people who relate to me on certain specific issues. So far, I've had mixed success. A lot of my attitudes on autism and being autistic are like heresy to some folks here.


_________________
Yes, I have autism. No, it isn't "part of me". Yes, I hate my autism. No, I don't hate myself.


cberg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,183
Location: A swiftly tilting planet

28 Dec 2015, 2:07 am

Bear in mind some of us take pride in our heretical public image, sometimes that's the best thing to do. Be as heretical as you want whilst keeping the negativity to a minimum and that's one good way to come up with lots of completely unprecedented ideas.

Same reason OP didn't post anything we haven't both seen before.

Totally unrelated - can one of the mods change 'Disgusting' in the thread title to... anything else?


_________________
"Standing on a well-chilled cinder, we see the fading of the suns, and try to recall the vanished brilliance of the origin of the worlds."
-Georges Lemaitre
"I fly through hyperspace, in my green computer interface"
-Gem Tos :mrgreen: