The Dino-Aspie Ex-Café (for Those 40+... or feeling creaky)

Page 836 of 1006 [ 16088 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 833, 834, 835, 836, 837, 838, 839 ... 1006  Next

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 10:05 am

lelia wrote:
Postcard from Rwanda slips in through the door slot.
On the front, a picturesque picture of woman in bright colors walking with a cord of wood on her head over a glittering, red dirt road full of micah bits. In the background, mutilated trees and also minuature goats grazing.
On the back, the address to the cafe and the text: You know those pallets of books that were supposed to be here in December and then I would organize two school libraries and donate books also to the National University of Rwanda and other organizations? They have not even reached Dar-Es-Salaam yet. So, I am here, doing a little bit of this, a little bit of that, and basically twiddling my thumbs. I have finally been gone from home long enough (staying an extra two weeks to get all the work done) that I actually miss my husband and bed and TV and America and etc.
On the upside, Internet access has increased exponentially in the year since I was last here. And you would be amazed at all the people you see emerging from mud huts with cell phones glued to their ears.

oh BUMMER! Have they given you any idea of when they'll get there?
And I bet that is quite the photo op, the cell phones....

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 10:58 am

wow... in the last two weeks someone(s) has/have robbed the baskin robbins (ice cream store!), the gas station down the street, the 7-11, and yesterday they robbed the bank we use. we had been planning to go over there, but thankfully we overslept. they peppersprayed a lot of the people who were in line. apparently also the cops have someone they stopped not too far away....

yep, times are getting tough. tons of vacant units in our complex, people knocking over small stores because there's too much security at the larger ones. more car break-ins, more house breakins. i just love it when we get to this end of the pendulum swing (not!).

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 6:29 pm

Nan wrote:
wow... in the last two weeks someone(s) has/have robbed the baskin robbins (ice cream store!), the gas station down the street, the 7-11, and yesterday they robbed the bank we use. we had been planning to go over there, but thankfully we overslept. they peppersprayed a lot of the people who were in line. apparently also the cops have someone they stopped not too far away....

yep, times are getting tough. tons of vacant units in our complex, people knocking over small stores because there's too much security at the larger ones. more car break-ins, more house breakins. i just love it when we get to this end of the pendulum swing (not!).

More robberies - to be expected. I never lock up- leave the front door open all the time, even when I go out. I'd better change my ways ...some day.

I hope everyone gets through the economic downturn ok. Maybe you are both personable AND a work horse, Chuck, so will get double pay!! !

I think there must be some chronic learning disability that is so prevalent among NT's that it goes unnoticed by the "experts". Krex

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Jan 2009, 6:52 pm

Just lurking and stimming...Image

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 10:06 pm

Hey, I forgot to post photos of Nan's Big Adventure!

Ok, well, there are a ton of them so I'll just post a few here and maybe change 'em out later. They won't be here too long, as I haven't got a lot of storage space, sorry.

So, for people who always say I'm never in the photos, here I am in some of the photos.

Note: DAMN, it was cold that day (12/31/2008).

Sigh. We've GOT to do that again!! !!

Storage space all gone bye-bye. If you want to see them I can pm/mail you other links.

:wink:

Last edited by Nan on 27 Jan 2009, 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 10:16 pm

uhh, that magical well/stream does photograph rather eerily, doesn't it.... 8O

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 10:50 pm

Nan wrote:

it sure does! Maybe it's like those photos where they see the ghosts over their shoulders and such.

Merle

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 11:00 pm

^Wow, creepy indeed. 8O 8)

Oh yeah, I thought I would join in since I feel "creaky" sometimes. :lol: I hope it's OK that I'm only 34. :)

Those who know, don't speak.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 11:05 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
Nan wrote:

it sure does! Maybe it's like those photos where they see the ghosts over their shoulders and such.

Merle

8O <---nan wondering if she should have drunk the half-glass of it they gave her to sample...... :lol:

the water is high in iron oxide, and there is some discoloration of the rocks it flows over, but it doesn't look NUTHIN like that photo. oooeeeeeee ooooooo {creepy music playing}

kinda cool, too, how all the plants and everything are doing so well there, when outside that garden we were freezing our nummies off! :lol:

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 11:13 pm

jawbrodt wrote:

Oh yeah, I thought I would join in since I feel "creaky" sometimes. :lol: I hope it's OK that I'm only 34. :)

we're all "mental" anyway, so welcome aboard!

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 11:17 pm

jawbrodt wrote:

since you are only 'half evil' I don't think there will be a problem!
:wink:

Merle

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 11:27 pm

Actually it's more like "1.5, 1.5, 1.5", but I didn't come across that one yet. :wink:

Those who know, don't speak.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 11:31 pm

i wonder if i'm glowing in the dark now, from the well water? how would i know? i'm asleep when it's dark and i'm nearsighted beyond words. hmmmm....

found a new tea - "scottish breakfast" tea. it is, indeed, yummy. but i'm afraid it's also definitely caffeinated. 8O oh, well. nothing doing tomorrow anyway that requires sleep. just more work, more damage control with the kid, and going to see the ENT who after making me wait four months to get in wants to suddenly see me right away and who wants to roto-rooter my sinuses out with a laser or something. just another monday....

i seem to have gotten addicted to Dr. Who again, dammit. and they keep leaving me hanging with cliffhanger episodes. the last time it was with tom baker, now it's with the new guy who i can't remember his name. david something. looks scottish.

hmmm, a recurring theme.

kid is going to knit me a tardis.

say goodnight gracie.... :lol: :roll:

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 11:51 pm

Nan wrote:
the kid is going to knit me a tardis.

say goodnight gracie.... :lol: :roll:

you say the kid is going to knit you a haggis?

Merle

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 8:09 am

Cellphones in Rwanda! Reminded me of this. :D

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 10:05 am

Nan wrote:
i wonder if i'm glowing in the dark now, from the well water? how would i know? i'm asleep when it's dark

But not immediately, are you. Stand before the bathroom mirror at night, switch off the lights. Or put your camera on a timer.

That reminds me. I didn't change my milk intake after Chernobyl. Was supposed to be safe. I wondered about this a year later, when I did an experiment involving a Geiger counter, and the thing went off when I came near it. Do you think that could explain, you know, things?

Nan wrote:
i seem to have gotten addicted to Dr. Who again, dammit. and they keep leaving me hanging with cliffhanger episodes. the last time it was with tom baker, now it's with the new guy who i can't remember his name. david something.

Tennant

Nan wrote:
looks scottish.

Is. In most of his roles he needs an English accent, but in interviews he goes back to Scottish, and here, too. Voted sexiest man alive (in some or other poll, don't ask me, a bloke in a pub told me), he is not afraid to show his female side

sinsboldly wrote:
you say the kid is going to knit you a haggis?

Tardis

The appearance of the haggis is disputed. The Realist school claims it looks like this:

The Vitalist school offers images like this

and this

Decide for yourself, but choose carefully. Religious wars have been fought over the subject. The Empiricists suggest looking for evidence, but they are heretics, to be burned at the stake. Only after a fair trial, of course, but burn they will. That's how you know the trial was fair. There are also those who say the question is not important. Ignore them. They do not know what they say.