The Dino-Aspie Ex-Café (for Those 40+... or feeling creaky)

Page 2 of 1006 [ 16087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 1006  Next

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 1:50 pm

Hi Nan,

No clean up needed, it is not just rubble, it is a post apocalyptic motif, what happens every time some think they are adults, and that they should run things for everyone else.

Adult is just another word for Cult. Free thinkers are always found in ruins and wastelands where no one is like anyone else.

Conformity is a gang being a bully. Conformity makes war on the creative, for they cannot control free thought, humor, and a joy in living, so they seek to destroy it.

All empires end in ruins, our world lives in ruins, we always win.

DingoDv
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 2:11 pm

What comes first Inventor, the ruins or the end? surely if there are ruins, the end hasn't truly come, as there is still a memory.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 2:26 pm

DingoDv,

A never ending story, empires come and go, but memory, thought, humor, survive.

We are the Phoenix in history, ever rising from the ashes of the old.

"Men die, cattle die,
all is the same.
Men die, cattle die,
only wit and glory remain."

Old Norse

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 May 2007, 4:49 pm

lau wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:
Glad to see you around Lau, anyway!
My apologies. It was quite inexcusable of me to fail to turn up for my own marriage ceremony. My excuse, of course, was that someone moved the altar, while I wasn't looking. Will you ever forgive me, dear heart. (Sob).

So, THAT"S your excuse, Lau? Well, alright. I'll let it go this time. Just don't let it happen again :) Where is the altar, anyway? And who moved it? This is confusing, this jumping from thread to thread.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 5:57 pm

Inventor wrote:
DingoDv,

A never ending story, empires come and go, but memory, thought, humor, survive.

We are the Phoenix in history, ever rising from the ashes of the old.

"Men die, cattle die,
all is the same.
Men die, cattle die,
only wit and glory remain."

Old Norse

Ozymandias
I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled hp and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read,
Which yet survive stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
.And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my works. Ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 7:12 pm

Merle, could you pick up your bust. It's getting right in the way there. It'll never do as an altar.

I've brought in some ground sheets, in case it rains. Bear in mind that the weather in here could get a bit more European, as I've transmogrified the "Cafe" into the "Café". I didn't realise that - the owner of a thread can change its name. Any (more) suggestions?

Lau's Geriatric Heaven & Paintball Centre (Spiders welcome)

Dish of the Day: Bonzo Dog Do Dah Dee Dumplings

Moon Landing (Rice Pudding a Speciality)

The "I won't be called this tomorrow" Place.

Tanelorn (cupcakes and chips/fries)

I've got a fire going, and I'm using my origamei kettle (as per Rupert Bear Annual) to boil up some water, if anyone would like some green tea. (No fridge, no milk.) If anyone's desperate for a muffin, I found a couple in a bag - but they're a bit state, I'd guess.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 7:34 pm

lau wrote:

I wake up slowly, some days. It was the comment from Inventor, which I couldn't figure out, but he can get really confusing/confused (hi Inventor, ditto here, not a criticism), and he was really talking about eating aliens, at least that's what he said aliens tasted like, on Ubby3's thread, but maybe dinosaurs and aliens do both taste like chicken and... am I losing it, you, my marbles?

If swampblossom comes back and finds you've eaten the dog, won't she be a little less than pleased?

I didn't know where the eating of dinos started. There is the beauty of the cafe, it doesn't matter, somehow in the moments of the confusion, it all goes in other directions. if you choose to do it. I think that was the real problem here, the over flow of posts was daunting, it didn't need to be. Some of us need to start at page one, I tend to read things backwards.

I have a little book I keep on my desk. If one is to believe that a movie follows the book, then it may be a guide on how to find ones marbles. Peter Pan. I have never read it. I would like to. It isn't very thick and in my younger days I would have avioded it, somewhat, just because it wasn't very thick. Actually I avoided very few books and thank the stars I got in as much , what passed for reading, as I did. With this one I keep gettign side tracked with the damn footnotes, which try to explain what the guy is meaning with words that are foriegn to some of us. They really aren't, they're blatherings of an editer. Stops my flow, I try to fix that hole in the roof, rather then just enjoying the rain. childerns books and fairy tales, I want to see more in there, i want to relook at that world. I will someday, I'm working on it. Loosing ones marbles and finding them again, or not. I like the concept, I like the words. Marbles, I bet they're in here someplace.

She's back. Pleased? Lol, don't make me go there. I'll tell you what though, I much better understand why writers like the solitude. Maybe better put, the control of the surronding distractions. Naw there are times she would join me, put a bib on and chow down.

Funny, I think I may have had a glimps of why I dislike dictionarys. But I think I'd like to know where the word bib comes from, the other words it was born from. Might just go look, maybe I'll find more marbles to play with.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 8:11 pm

Ok postpaleo... you got me to look up "bib" in the OED. When it's not an alternative word for a whiting (fish), the noun has various meanings - all the way up to its use in "best bib and tucker" as one's best clothes.

However, the sense most often is that of the daggly thing under your chin to catch drips. The etymology there suggests it comes from the verb:

"bib" v: trans. and intr. To drink; keep on drinking, tipple.
Etymology: Possibly an adaptation of L. bibere, to drink; but it may have originated independently, in an imitation of repeated movements of the lips; cf. the variant beb.

Under that, it mentioned a nice one:
"bib-all-night": a drunkard, confirmed toper.

I used to tope quite a bit, but like you, don't go there any more. (Current monthly intake - two pints of cider, plus last month, a couple (or more) of glasses of wine with my sister & brother-in-law).

bibacious: Addicted to, or fond of, drinking; bibulous.
bibacity: Addictedness to drinking; tippling.
bibation: Bibbing; potation.
bibbler: A drinker, a tippler.
bibbling: a. Drinking; tippling. b. Dabbling with the bill like a duck drinking.
biberon: A tippler.
bibesy: ‘A too earnest desire after drink.’ Bailey 1731, Vol. II. [ad. L. bibesia the ‘drink-land’ (Plautus).]
bibition: Drinking.
bibitory: Of or pertaining to drinking; spec. in bibitory muscle, synonym for ‘rectus internus oculi.’
1696 PHILLIPS, Bibitory Muscle, the Muscle that draws down the Eye towards the Cup when we drink. 1834 Fraser's Mag. IX. 586 This is not a question amatory - it is a consideration bibatory [sic].
bibosity: Capacity for drinking.
bibulate: To bibble or tipple.
bibulosity: Addiction to tippling. Also bibulousness.
bibulous: 1. Absorbent of moisture. 2. Addicted to drinking or tippling. 3. Relating to drink. Hence bibulously.

I do like the "Bibitory Muscle".

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 8:53 pm

bibacious? kind of like vivacious, but with sangria?

ok, i brought fresh buttermilk scones and lemon curd.

you can use my room-tent and firepit, as well. it sleeps many, and the mesquito netting is newly repaired.

Lupine
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 May 2007, 9:04 pm

lau wrote:
They asked if I would look after their cat while they went on holiday for a couple of weeks. I said yes, without thinking it through. I love cats, they love me, but this scenario wasn't exactly ideal.

I was arriving back from work at 11pm, letting in, feeding and fussing the cat for maybe as long as a whole hour. Then I had to put it back out. as I needed to get to bed, because I needed to set off to work at 9 a.m. (yes - I've never gone for "conventional" hours). Note - this does not include me eating - I didn't. I'd eat during the day, at work, sometimes. Not often indoors.

The cat put up with this for three days, then didn't come back.

Eleven days later, I had to explain to my neighbours that I'd lost their cat. Amazingly, they just accepted it. We spoke just as often after the event, as before - maybe more - probably as much as once every year.

Based on what I know about cats, your neighbors' lost kitty likely found tonier accommodations elsewhere after concluding that s/he had been "abandoned". It's unlikely that the cat would have stayed if you'd spent more time at home. I'm guessing your neighbors understood that, and accepted it.

lau wrote:
===============

So. Could I trust myself to provide a secure home for an arachnid?

Oh, I think so... there are plenty of "care sheets" available on the web (heh no pun intended) you can peruse to convince yourself that Grammostola rosea makes a very low-maintenance pet.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 9:29 pm

Figures. A word that would draw me, would have a lot of referances to drinking. Good stuff, well for some the drinks are, I'd rather read about the drinks now. The only way I can relate to the terms so often used such as "pints, I used to hang out at a place called "Wet Goods". Attracted some odd sorts, mostly of the long hair types. Distant cousin owned it and ran into a lot of trouble with the city elders. (That part I think runs in the blood.) He had designed the place well, but they did not like the idea of having outside tables. Not sure if it was the tables as much as having the types that would be sitting at them. It was the only place in the area and probably still is that one could get hard cider, with out making it yourself. The glass ware that was used for beer drinking was "Mason" jars, most probably a copyrighted name. it easily referanced the amount of bevarge as they were never designed to be other then canning jars. so I can actually see what a pint is when i read it here.

Sheeze where was I. Damn writers block had to have his nightly cookies. Cookies being the house slang for dog biscuits. Cookies can not be spoken a loud, not because it is a sacred word, but becuase so far, the dogs haven't learned to spell. see what I mean? off on and entirely new subject. guess he doesn't actually cause writers block, but I do get lost. Has anybody seen my marbles?

lau
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 9:42 pm

Could these be them?

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 9:47 pm

Lupine wrote:
lau wrote:
They asked if I would look after their cat while they went on holiday for a couple of weeks. I said yes, without thinking it through. I love cats, they love me, but this scenario wasn't exactly ideal.

I was arriving back from work at 11pm, letting in, feeding and fussing the cat for maybe as long as a whole hour. Then I had to put it back out. as I needed to get to bed, because I needed to set off to work at 9 a.m. (yes - I've never gone for "conventional" hours). Note - this does not include me eating - I didn't. I'd eat during the day, at work, sometimes. Not often indoors.

The cat put up with this for three days, then didn't come back.

Eleven days later, I had to explain to my neighbours that I'd lost their cat. Amazingly, they just accepted it. We spoke just as often after the event, as before - maybe more - probably as much as once every year.

Based on what I know about cats, your neighbors' lost kitty likely found tonier accommodations elsewhere after concluding that s/he had been "abandoned". It's unlikely that the cat would have stayed if you'd spent more time at home. I'm guessing your neighbors understood that, and accepted it.

lau wrote:
===============

So. Could I trust myself to provide a secure home for an arachnid?

Oh, I think so... there are plenty of "care sheets" available on the web (heh no pun intended) you can peruse to convince yourself that Grammostola rosea makes a very low-maintenance pet.

Lol, just got the pun, excellent. I would make exception when drawing a persons eye back to the pun. Admit it, it was most excellent. Who are we to question where it came from? It came from us in a flow, we just happened to notice it first :wink:

I used to have a chameleon I named Moon Doggie. Made him a home amoung my miniture orchids. Used to catch him/her live flys from the rabbit house. I never really got to feel him walk on my hand though.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 9:51 pm

lau wrote:
Could these be them?

Well might be part of them. I know I had some cats eyes and those sure look like some of them. i had some I found in the back yard made from clay. Had some shooters too. guess it would have to be a mixed bag. I recall some, forgot the names, that had the twirls of color but where mainly white and not clear.

Those are machine made. Curse I got from working in glass factorys. I tend to notice things in glass that others don't see. did get to do it the old way, by hand, before they got rid of it.

SeriousGirl
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 9:58 pm

Shoooooooooooot, I found my marbles and they're in here!

WTF is everyone doing here? Didn't we move? The truck pulled up and packed my words off the other place. I guess I need an apartment?

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 10:01 pm

I was telling Serious what I colourful place this is now! :) I missed the company. I find your banter quite soothing!