The Dino-Aspie Ex-Café (for Those 40+... or feeling creaky)

Page 5 of 1006 [ 16088 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 1006  Next

SeriousGirl
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 7:42 pm

Lau, lau, bo bau, banana fanna fo fau, me my mo mau, Lau!

Get on down, get on down the road...

Get on down, get on down the roooadd.

We've installed a Barcalounger for you in the new place. :lol:

lau
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 8:45 pm

aylissa wrote:
I don't know who came up with the title of the forum or the description, but I would bet it was not a single one of us who either wanted it or posted in it. It's not fair to blame us.
Noooo! I don't blame you. Not in the slightest.

aylissa wrote:
I immediately started a thread to change the name, by the way. I think the name and the description are ridiculous.
Personally, when I finally accepted the idea that the Cafe had got too unwieldy as I single thread, I suggested that it should be expanded to be a forum in its own right - with the name and description essentially duplicating the name of the thread. I wasn't the only one suggesting that. My suggestion came too late.

I think there were requests for at least FOUR new forums. The new one is a somewhat badly thought out amalgam of three of those requests. It has no relationship to anything in the Cafe thread.

aylissa wrote:
There are people there who would like to see you, Lau, including me, but I think your reasons for staying away are irrational.
I don't feel at all irrational about it. I've looked in on the forum, and seen what's there. I feel no real inclination to join in on the threads that obviously belong within such a forum, as it has been defined.

Hardly any of the 3,000 posts in the Cafe belong within that forum, as named/described. So I don't know why it was moved there at all.

I can't understand the idea of posting a message inside a forum saying that the name should be changed, as threads have already been started there that belong there. The forum, as named, does to some extent cover three of the requests, I guess. I have no urge to contribute particularly in those areas. I did enjoy the original Cafe. It doesn't belong there.

I seem to be repeating myself. If you could be more explicit about where my argument is irrational, I'll listen. I admit I can be more sensitive than the average joe, in some areas. One I feel rather strongly about is ageism.

===================
Oh look! You've made me go all serious again! I'll soon see about that....
===================

NI! NI! NI! NI! I want a shrubbery!

lau
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 9:00 pm

SeriousGirl wrote:
Lau, lau, bo bau, banana fanna fo fau, me my mo mau, Lau!

Get on down, get on down the road...

Get on down, get on down the roooadd.

We've installed a Barcalounger for you in the new place. :lol:

See, that's where it all goes wrong. I looked around on the Barcalounger site ( because I'd never heard of them before), and how would that work. No way would I be able to reach my keyboard.

I'll keep the banana though. (Imagine monkey screech noises at this point)

Had I mentioned losing my rear windscreen washer, tube and all, to the monkeys in Longleat Safari Park?

Earlier, I watched the second half of part 2 of 3 of "Victoria's Empire". Victoria Wood. Brilliant. Why are all the best comedians around these days all women? There used to be funny guys, but they seem to have mostly died off.

SeriousGirl
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 9:14 pm

I would vote for The Barcalounger for a new name for the new forum. Kick back with our notebook computers in the lap and our drinks the in the built in cup holders! :wink:

What is a rear windscreen washer? A monkey got it?

You've never heard the "Banana Fanna Fo Fanna" song before?

Doesn't work with names like Chuck! :D

lau
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 9:34 pm

SeriousGirl wrote:
I would vote for The Barcalounger for a new name for the new forum. Kick back with our notebook computers in the lap and our drinks the in the built in cup holders! :wink:
Sounds OK - in that it would be virtual. You'd probaly still have to expand on it a bit, to explain what a Barcalounger was to non North Americans.
SeriousGirl wrote:
What is a rear windscreen washer? A monkey got it?
There's an optional bit of the safari park. If you choose to drive through it, there are about 80 Rhesus monkeys, who will help themselves to anything not welded to your car. They've been know to take the spare wheels from 4x4s. They remove windscreens as well. Wiper blades are too easy - they rarely take them these days. The park collects four tons of assorted car parts per season.
SeriousGirl wrote:
You've never heard the "Banana Fanna Fo Fanna" song before?
Nope.
SeriousGirl wrote:
Doesn't work with names like Chuck! :D
I tried it out here. I guess I see what you mean.

SeriousGirl
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 9:58 pm

The Name Game - that's it - it is an old song. I went to school with a girl named Judy and Bo Boody drove her crazy. All the guys teased her with it.

Maybe the Rhesus monkeys were really Bonobos and had a use for that wiper!

Bonobo Bonobo Bo Onobo
Banana Fanna Fo Fonobo
Fe Fi Mo Monobo
Bonobo!

he name game!

Shirley!
Shirley, Shirley bo Birley Bonana fanna fo Firley
Fee fy mo Mirley, Shirley!

Lincoln!
Lincoln, Lincoln bo Bincoln Bonana fanna fo Fincoln
Fee fy mo Mincoln, Lincoln!

Come on everybody!
I say now let's play a game
I betcha I can make a rhyme out of anybody's name
The first letter of the name, I treat it like it wasn't there
But a B or an F or an M will appear
And then I say bo add a B then I say the name and Bonana fanna and a
fo
And then I say the name again with an F very plain
and a fee fy and a mo
And then I say the name again with an M this time
and there isn't any name that I can't rhyme

Arnold!
Arnold, Arnold bo Barnold Bonana fanna fo Farnold
Fee fy mo Marnold Arnold!

But if the first two letters are ever the same,
I drop them both and say the name like
Bob, Bob drop the B's Bo ob
For Fred, Fred drop the F's Fo red
For Mary, Mary drop the M's Mo ary
That's the only rule that is contrary.

Okay? Now say Bo: Bo
Now Tony with a B: Bony
Then Bonana fanna fo: bonana fanna fo
Then you say the name again with an F very plain: Fony
Then a fee fy and a mo: fee fy mo
Then you say the name again with an M this time: Mony
And there isn't any name that you can't rhyme

Every body do Tony!
Pretty good, let's do Billy!
Very good, let's do Marsha!
A little trick with Nick!
The name game

Everyone liked to do names like Chuck and Rich. :lol:

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 7:34 am

i'm feeling a little sad about the café being split in two, it confuses me
i liked it when everyone was in the same place

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 May 2007, 8:05 am

lemon wrote:

Lemon, I'm feeling sad too, but even sadder at being so clueless as to why it happened. I feel like I never know what's going on. When I don't have an explanation for something my mind invents scenarios that don't really exist.

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 8:12 am

well, maybe it's better to be two of us, than one,
i always have visual images of what happens,
like i'm wandering around, somewhere in between the two cafés,
for some reason in my mind they are close by the sea,
and there i see you arrive coming from the opposite direction,
we're not saying much,
but take a rest sitting on a bench silently wondering what happened.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 May 2007, 8:15 am

And then I say something stupid like "Is that a lightbulb you're wearing on your head? Absolutely brilliant, darling.

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 8:19 am

yeah, i'm connected :wink:

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 May 2007, 8:28 am

You would make a cool lamp. I'm serious. A scupture of your painting, wired to give off light, who wouldn't want something like that on their table. Most lamps are boring and not very unique. What media do you work in? Do you do scupting?

lau
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 8:30 am

lemon wrote:

Well said, lemon, and it gives me an idea. (Which you can skip to the bottom for, if you like.)

==============

Think of the cafe as having started out as a small shack, growing to a big room, with a couple of lean-to bits, then becoming so popular that it not only had a queue of people who were waiting to get in the door, but even more who just looked at that queue, and gave up straight away.

Even for those inside the cafe, it was becoming almost impossible to hear what people were saying across the heads of the throng.

What could have happened would have been a move into larger premises, with multiple rooms. The whole place still called the same, with the same overall "feel" and all "in one place". Just lots of extra rooms to "play" in - or even "be serious" in, from time to time.

What actually happened was that someone built a mall down the road, bought up the cafe and moved it there. The rules in the mall are pretty strict and the security staff make sure everyone is aware of them. Things like "no nudity", "no silly banners outside the door", "the cafe must supply children with high chairs", "no alcohol". (Am I prejudiced? I think so.)

The mall is actually rather successful. I counted it up last night. In four days, it had managed to add 1,000 posts, which the cafe thread took the previous eight days to do. I can't comment on the "quality" of the posts, as I've only done a quick bit of "window shopping" in there. I just don't much like malls.

Anyway, I thought it was a pity that we seemed to have lost the function of the cafe that I thought it did so well - that of welcoming newcomers to WP with a showcase of the generally "late diagnosed", been-there-done-that, lunatics. I think we put a lot of people "at ease" and got them talking, when they might have just found the whole of WP too daunting. Quick re-take there. It did that for me. On thinking about it, without the cafe, I might have just drifted away from WP.

I decided to be a rebel. The "real" cafe may have been relocated, but I've opened this "fake" café on the old site (100 posts in three days? (Not all by me :) ) Not all that unpopular.). I'm certain that I can't duplicate the... (rats, I can't think of the word I want...) milieu, feel, aroma, patina.

Just in case I haven't said this before, YowlingCat is brilliant.
Just in case I haven't said this before, YowlingCat is wonderful.
Just in case I haven't said this before, YowlingCat is <insert complimentary adjective here>.
(and will she ever forgive me for violating the copyright on the name of her cafe?)

================

So. You got here (or skipped, I don't mind).

The idea is - can't we turn the cafe into a set of concessions? One in each forum, where appropriate. Maybe it doesn't really belong in one forum at all. Here is a place for trapping the unwary newcomers in a moderately light-hearted way. The "In-depth..." can handle people who want that sort of thing. A branch under "Random Discussion" might be more appropriate for partying. For those of us with problems/answers about the old beat-up computers we're accessing WP with, a cafe thread under the "Computers,..." forum might work (the forum description says it all).

Walking frames and colostomy bags at the ready (the auxiliary troops should ready their dummies and diapers - we need them too) - lets take over ALL the forums

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 May 2007, 8:48 am

Thank you for the very enlightening explanation, Lau.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 8:54 am

Hi CC. I'm now wondering if I should post a link to my message above in the original and annex threads?

Cross-posting is not encouraged... but a link should be acceptable. Maybe, in true Aspie indecisive fashion, I'll leave it to someone who is posting over there to decide.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 May 2007, 9:08 am

Lemon,
All kidding aside, you are a brilliant woman. I just checked out your website. I'm blown away by your talent. Your use of color, how exciting. And your video, even though there is a language barrier for me, is exquisite. A possession theme. The music you have set it to is perfect at getting across what I might have lost in dialogue. Bravo, woman! Barrista, Lemoncellos for the house, please.