The Dino-Aspie Ex-Café (for Those 40+... or feeling creaky)

Page 6 of 1006 [ 16088 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 1006  Next

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 May 2007, 9:08 am

Lemon,
All kidding aside, you are a brilliant woman. I just checked out your website. I'm blown away by your talent. Your use of color, how exciting. And your video, even though there is a language barrier for me, is exquisite. A possession theme. The music you have set it to is perfect at getting across what I might have lost in dialogue. Bravo, woman! Barrista, Lemoncellos for the house, please.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 10:11 am

On a tour of one-night stands,
My suitcase and guitar in hand...

Nope. Not that...

On a tour of spelling splelt,
My spellchack and Wikipedia in hand...

I found...

============================

We must polish the Polish furniture.
He could lead if he would get the lead out.
The farm was used to produce produce.
The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
The soldier decided to desert in the desert.
This was a good time to present the present. (And this last could mean "gift" or "era of time ")
A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
I did not object to the object.
The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
The bandage was wound around the wound.
There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
They were too close to the door to close it.
The buck does funny things when the does are present.
They sent a sewer down to stitch the tear in the sewer line.
To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
After a number of injections my jaw got number.
Upon seeing the tear in my clothes I shed a tear.
I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?

==========================

I'd add a little story... Just to the west of London, a few miles further out than where I used to live, there's a place called Slough. It gets some uncomplimentary thing said about it.

A snake might shed its skin in a bog just west of London.

or

A snake might slough (or sluff, same or different pronunciation) its skin in a slough in Slough.

=========================

Some English place name sillinesses...
Torpenhow <- Hill hill hill.
Lake Windermere <- Lake lake lake.
Riverhead <- Rither ed = Foot (ed) of the hill (rither).

Chuck
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 12:42 pm

Hi everyone! Lemon - always so good to see you! I posted a reply to CosmicCat's questions concerning her husband's high blood pressure meds and problems - in the new forum under the thread "Fountain of Youth" (as it needed an in-depth answer). Sorry I missed your questions yesterday - I left for work without checking in.
Can't stay here long today either - gotta get a quick nap in and head back to work. Take care all! I'll post more Wednesday, after some sleep.

Lau Lau Bo Bo Bau
I gotta gotta go now....

:)

Chuck

lau
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 12:53 pm

Arrivederci, Chucki.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 1:20 pm

Hi Cosmiccat,

I have wandered Lemon's site more than a few times. First view is how it relates to me, later visits how Lemon relates to Lemon.

Being one of the beat-up computer types Lau mentions, but self inflicted, I refuse to own speakers, and video is distracting, moving things and flickering lights. I only watched the stills.

I think most paint themselves into a corner, but being aspie, Lemon started in the corner, and is spreading out. From a soft and squishy abstract center, crispy flakes of realism develop on the outer surface.

I have been walking by the sea, it has unity of self, and it gives me something to do during the day when the stars are hidden. I hear voices from a bench, for my ears are sharp for the song of birds, and sounds of life. I seek reality through seeing, hearing, and silent reflection.

I find unity in Lemon's work, it expands and changes. Conformity would be one painting with variations in a narrow range. The first time the cafe was targeted I was invited to another place, there was much discussion of pierced nipples, I looked and left. I am a very visual thinker, and some images I do not want in my mind.

My consumer demographic is, looks at sea, stars, listens to birds. I lurked the cafe, for I do find things worthy of notice, Comisccat's poem, Lemon's painting, Lauism, PostPaleo's, You only thought life was strange, wait till I explain it!

I have looked at the new forum, it does meet needs other than my own. I follow my stars, and when I do cross paths with others it is real. I never go to the mall, I like it, it keeps everything I avoid in one place, now that is convience.

I do seek the campfires of wanders in the wastelands, non-commercial life. It is where all new thought comes from. We do need more range. Talk of art in one place should move, for the comformists hear it and think how the arts could become a shop in their mall, selling T shirts with pierced nipples.

I liked Lemon's how to paint in the Arts section. It was a bit advanced for most. No one just jumps in, many would like to start. I post in the same forum about how to write. Writers, poets, painters, have long gathered in cafes. As a group they learn from each other and teach by existing.

Lau,

I like your computer idea. FAQ's in wrongplanet.net discussion is good. In computers I find two groups, nerds who know everything and can explain nothing, and people with computer problems they can not put in words. I have worked with the second group for a long time, they never got any better.

As a first customer, Graelwyn, her laptop is refusing to link to the web. All I gathered is it has four USB ports, and only one of them will link sometimes. My first thought would be a BIOS update, but I think that word would have no meaning to her. At least not the correct one. Graelwyn has a problem with logical rational people, her opposite personality type, the ones who fix computers. She is litterly beating herself up and having emotional meltdowns over it.

It will take special skill to deal with her and her computer. Being second group she does not mention make and model, or I would have the specs and be figuring it out. I do not think I am the person to do it. I am cold and heartless. I would bluntly tell someone that their hard drive is dead, all of their history and data is lost, and they must start over with a new hard drive. I fail in emotional relationships.

The old Cafe did cover many things, and could not do all well. Thoughts from minds were overwhelmed by posts of cut and paste. Subjects were scattered, and it was an enjoyable mix.

A Computer Cafe, an Arts Cafe, a Machine Cafe, a Music Cafe, Business Cafe, would meet more needs without needing new forums, or central control. Threads come and go, their interest narrow, and shallow. There is a need for gathering and depth in many places, including the random. Each will become a longer term group with some long term function.

This Cafe is great for meeting new people, joining them to the community, learning about them, and telling them what else is going on they might like. Many good people have come through, and not finding a place, and like minds, have viewed a few teen threads and left. They could have all added something of value if properly met. The old Cafe, and this Old Cafe, are not about drugs and Dxs, for many have just discovered they are not alone, but about people with something in common, being people. There is no one size fits all in humans, and more so with us.

I second Lau's motion.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 2:41 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

postpaleo wrote:
...Take your shows (lol, a little slip there ment shoes, but that word fits as well) off and rest a spell.

Lau wrote in a comment:
Even in full mistype mode, postpaleo can come up with perfect thoughts.
Yes... Wrong Planet is a place where you can certainly take your shows off. I certainly have, since a came here.

So what if "it's permanent" - so, I hope, is "having a brain".

Welcome home, cowlypso.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not good at moving some things a round in here, yet. Oh I move a few things, but mostly just me. The reason I moved those comments to a new member of WP, is for a word of warning about me and perfect thoughts.

Pay attention kiddies, this is important. :wink:

You'll never hear a perfect thought out of me. If you ever think you did. You better kiss your ass good-bye. I just happened to notice the nuclear tipped missle coming in before you did.

I did get a chuckle out of how that came out though, in the comment. Man, if I can't laugh at myself, I'm in deep s**t. I think that might be missle avoidance at work.

Great sig Lau.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 3:26 pm

Back in a couple of hours - watching a new version of "the History of Mr. Polly" with Lee Evans.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 3:41 pm

I'm always struck by people that can express themselves in an abstract form. Envious is probably the better word. I want to know the mechanics of it, I would like to understand better how to do it myself. That art has it's own language, one you don't need to understand the mother tongue of the artist. You can draw from it something you feel or look at, a little differently each time. I'm not sure where mine is or even if I even have it. But I sure do notice it in the Cafe, each a little different and each has their own way of doing it. I was very struck and still am by one of lemons photos and I will get the photo id number to her, but I know she's busy right now. I don't think it really ever fair to single out a single work of anybodys, my human flaw I guess. It is fair to marvel at someones overall work, even those that might be a seen as a failure to them. You have to make mistakes, how in the world can you ever hope to do something that might please you better. I have to go back to a Frank Zappa thought. I do it for me, if someone else happens to like it, that's just more frosting on the cake. He said it better then I did, so I guess I just made a mistake. I sure don't do numbers well, but I can do math. I can't pound code, but I loved doing the flow charts. Here's the thing for me, others can do numbers and others can type in the symbols that make our computers work for us a little better. I find you all as abstract expression, in your own way and I like watching you. Even those that think they have nothing to say.

Now where were we, throwing shrubberys?

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 4:51 pm

cosmiccat wrote:
Lemon,
All kidding aside, you are a brilliant woman. I just checked out your website. I'm blown away by your talent. Your use of color, how exciting. And your video, even though there is a language barrier for me, is exquisite. A possession theme. The music you have set it to is perfect at getting across what I might have lost in dialogue. Bravo, woman! Barrista, Lemoncellos for the house, please.

thanks cosmiscat,
(and the others too)
if only i could do something with it, i mean sell a little so that i could pay some more paint and canvas and so, but well, i'm focussed on getting my diploma for the moment and doing projects with a good friend of mine and i'm pretty bad at organising stuff i've never done anyway (like contacting a gallery or so 8O)

for the video, the story is quite funny actually, it's about a cheater (in cardplaying, it's also his name (le tricheur) and a baronnes (hope that's the correct word in english, made it's a duchess, don't know), the two characters are played by both the marionettes and the kids.
now in the latest card game the baronnes has lost her money to this cheater (because of his cheating of course) and she now means to get her money back.

in the beginning we see her complaining about her dentist (she saying "and i even have got the smallest dunno the word, this little stains) and than she complains about the price of the flower that has costed her 5 euro which she bought for the cheater who is in the hospital.
she repeat a few times "i must get my money back " (il faut que je récupère mon argent) she knocks and he says he doesn't expect anyone and doesn't want to see anyone either, shouting 'get lost' or something. she comes in and with the sweetest voice says "how do you do? i bought you a flower" and he replies that he doesn't want it, and that it smells bad, to which she replies that she cannot possibly take it back home.
then she starts telling him about the card game, that she has noticed him hiding cards in his (foot) and saying this she hits his (acking) foot, and she goes on and on. that the moment he takes the stick and knocks her down. he flees and says "in my foot, in my foot, that is not even possible, no one can have cards in his feet, she must be crazy"

the editing is not my work, we were three adults and both my kids to work on this project. i'll work again with my friend doing such kind of projects, this summer and probably next year (although she's pregnant and this will probably occupy her for some time)
in this one i did the photographs(it is a sequence of photographs, no filming actually), and the making of the objects, part of one marionette and so. but we change, sometimes i'll do the editing, in fact we change whenever we feel like it, we merely start from our inspiration and from what has to be done.

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 4:53 pm

lau wrote:
Back in a couple of hours - watching a new version of "the History of Mr. Polly" with Lee Evans.

i love the text in your signature !

(shall i copy your message in the other café then? if it is not done already)

lau
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 5:19 pm

lemon wrote:
lau wrote:

i love the text in your signature !

(shall i copy your message in the other café then? if it is not done already)

In reverse...

I would feel... uncomfortable in the other cafe. Like I said, just a link would do. I'm not pushy. The link is:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... 378#645378

I can't claim my sig as original. Under Linux, I have "fortune" installed, along with all it's optional lists. "Wanda the Fish" is a desktop gizmo that just calls them up, when I feel like it. I occasionally wander through a few... some are quite amusing... The full text of that one (which I happen still to be sat on) goes:
Wanda the Fish wrote:

A CODE OF ETHICAL BEHAVIOR FOR PATIENTS:

1. DO NOT EXPECT YOUR DOCTOR TO SHARE YOUR DISCOMFORT.
Involvement with the patient's suffering might cause him to lose
valuable scientific objectivity.

2. BE CHEERFUL AT ALL TIMES.
Your doctor leads a busy and trying life and requires all the
gentleness and reassurance he can get.

3. TRY TO SUFFER FROM THE DISEASE FOR WHICH YOU ARE BEING TREATED.
Remember that your doctor has a professional reputation to uphold.

Next, missing out one boring one, came:
Wanda the Fish wrote:

How long does it take a DEC field service engineer to change a lightbulb?

It depends on how many bad ones he brought with him.

Finally, the new ITV production of "The History of Mr. Polly" was excellent.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 May 2007, 6:12 pm

lemon wrote:

Quote:
for the video, the story is quite funny actually, it's about a cheater (in cardplaying, it's also his name (le tricheur) and a baronnes (hope that's the correct word in english, made it's a duchess, don't know), the two characters are played by both the marionettes and the kids.
now in the latest card game the baronnes has lost her money to this cheater (because of his cheating of course) and she now means to get her money back.

Lemon, I will go back and view it again, now that you have set it up for me.

This is how I interpreted it, falsely, as I can see now, because I don't know the language. I saw the two characters as mother and child. I thought the child had become possessed by the marionette because of the one scene where the child (as I saw it) was thrashing about and making violent facial expressions. I thought the marionette had told the child to kill the mother in order that the child might be free. After she whacks the mother with the stick, she runs out side and the ragged-tattered fabric hanging on the line is her banner of freedom. With the death of the mother, the child is no longer in pain (the foot in the cast) and is foot loose and fancy free, so to speak.

Obviously, this film could mean many things to many people and could be used as a Rorshach test.
It would be interesting to see how other's might interpret it. I thoroughly enjoyed it, even though I did misinterpret it. Does this mean we can love and appreciate what we don't understand?

lau
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 6:28 pm

cosmiccat wrote:
... I thought the child had become possessed by the marionette <snip>
Obviously, this film could mean many things to many people...
So it wasn't just me, and I'm pretty sure I had the mother possessed by the marionette, but now I can't think straight at all. I was also understanding a minuscule amount of the dialogue, which probably was worse than understanding none of it! :)

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 May 2007, 6:36 pm

Inventor wrote:

Hi Inventor. It's very good to see you again. You are such an enigma.

Quote:
I have wandered Lemon's site more than a few times. First view is how it relates to me, later visits how Lemon relates to Lemon.

I intend to visit her sight again and re-view her work. I think she has great humility, very common in great artists, but never expected and not always apparent.

Quote:
I think most paint themselves into a corner, but being aspie, Lemon started in the corner, and is spreading out. From a soft and squishy abstract center, crispy flakes of realism develop on the outer surface.

I will try and view her work from that perspective. I was rushed when I first stopped by her site and was just totally taken by her colors.

Quote:
My consumer demographic is, looks at sea, stars, listens to birds. I lurked the cafe, for I do find things worthy of notice, Comisccat's poem, Lemon's painting, Lauism, PostPaleo's, You only thought life was strange, wait till I explain it!

Strange but wonderful.

Quote:
I liked Lemon's how to paint in the Arts section. It was a bit advanced for most. No one just jumps in, many would like to start. I post in the same forum about how to write. Writers, poets, painters, have long gathered in cafes. As a group they learn from each other and teach by existing.

I am going to check out the Arts section. I just got an image of you in a sandwich board pointing "This way to the Arts section".

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 May 2007, 7:27 pm

Lau,

Regarding you signature:
Try to suffer from the disease for which you are being treated.

This is, alas, so true. People seem to do just that. Especially if it is the disease they have been shopping for. Whenever I find myself obsessing over the possibility of my having some dreadful condition, I imagine myself pushing a shopping cart through a market with diseases stocked on the shelves. If I find a particular disease is in my cart I say, "wait a minute, I don't want that in my cart," and I put it back on the shelf and leave with out making any purchases. This kind of theraputic imagery evolved after I read Mary Baker Eddy. It's a permutation of her theory of Science of Mind or Divine Science. I won't call it by its other more common or popular name because I don't want to ruffle any feathers A diagnosis of illness can actually manifest the illness onto the body. Out of sight, out of mind. Evil (sickness) and other types of human suffering, if seen or understood to be non-existent, will eventually cancel themselves out. At first I thought this might be just putting one's head in the sand, but if, as MBE insisted, matter does not exist, only spirit, then it's not really sand. My little 3 year old grandson said it best when, after injuring his toe in the front door and seeing his blood for the first time, said "Put a sock on it" and then went happily about his business.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 May 2007, 7:48 pm

postpaleo wrote:

Quote:
I'm always struck by people that can express themselves in an abstract form. Envious is probably the better word. I want to know the mechanics of it, I would like to understand better how to do it myself. That art has it's own language, one you don't need to understand the mother tongue of the artist. You can draw from it something you feel or look at, a little differently each time. I'm not sure where mine is or even if I even have it.

I believe you most certainly are able to express yourself in an abstract form. That's what makes your writings (posts) so totally fascinating. I don't see them as ramblings at all. I see them as Joyce-ian, or D.H. Lawrence-ian. No fences, no stop signs, but pure stream of consciousness and brutal honesty. It's extremely brave to open your mind with no shame or guilt or fear to censor you. I can't do that. But I'm always drawn to writers who can and do. True, writing, because it uses language as a vehicle, can't at first transcend language barriers, but a good translator has always been able to eventually make it available and comprehensible to all.