The Dino-Aspie Ex-Café (for Those 40+... or feeling creaky)

Page 991 of 1006 [ 16087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 988, 989, 990, 991, 992, 993, 994 ... 1006  Next

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 3:09 pm

probably have to do a full-on environmental impact report before i could get the tracks installed.....

buying onions at the market would be cheaper.

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 10:49 am

Nan wrote:
I was kinda thinking of a NASA jet pack, myself. Remember them from the 1960s? The flying guys?

I do. I think the problem still is low fuel efficiency. Difficult to carry enough to fly for more than a few minutes.
A modern version is that you use water pumped by a jerkski (sorry, jetski) to keep you aloft: http://www.gizmag.com/zapata-flyboard-jet-pack-watersport-boots/20772/. If you have a good enough water supply, this would be possible. You would also keep your vegetables thoroughly watered, right down to the bedrock. It's how Noah made the Grand Canyon, you know.

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 10:54 am

Nan wrote:
probably have to do a full-on environmental impact report before i could get the tracks installed.....

Use a tethered balloon. Minimal infrastructure on the ground.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 1:20 am

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 1:32 am

happy festivities to you too, merle, and all others. hope you've been keeping warm up north.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 7:05 pm

I suspect I may have gone deaf. Or might it be the lack of echo? What is the sound of a sock full of custard hitting a wall?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 7:07 pm

"Whap". Or perhaps "thoonk".

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 7:36 pm

I should have said...

:)

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Mar 2015, 3:15 pm

Hello, everyone! I didn't know the Cafe had re=opened! I will pour myself a cup of tea and help myself to a gluten free muffin. :)

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 11:27 pm

Hartz! Glad to see you here. A lot of life has gone on since we last relaxed together, girl! I startle myself sometimes, thinking my mother is staring back at me in the mirror. But no, or But yes, it is only me. :)

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Mar 2015, 1:35 pm

Hi, Merle! It's great to hear from you too! Yes, I have seen my mother in the mirror, too. Sigh.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 12:49 am

we have muffins? *takes one*

welcome back. when i look in the mirror, i imagine what my dad would have looked like if he had let his facial hair grow out. :|

i cannot believe how fast my thumb has healed. an acquaintance of mine got his little finger really badly mangled in december and only now got his pins removed. can only imagine what that's like.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 12:03 am

I was at least eight years old when I first started a lifelong preservation about this story, an old Grimm's Fairy Tale scattered in with Rumpelstiltskin, Little Red Riding Hood, The Goose Girl, Cinderella, The Fisherman's Wife and The Brave Little Tailor is this story entitled "The Hurds."
Why this one story woke me up and alerted me to the possibilities in life where this was a technique that I could use (i.e. waste not want not, re-purpose, reuse, exhibiting taste and thrift and creativeness) me, a little white girl with tightly permed hair, sitting cross legged on the floor reading the book to myself. I made up a song that went with the words. Why have had total fascination with the idea "The Hurds" represented is anybody's guess, but spark and inspire me it did, and still does. I thought to write a paean to the story just to get it off my back for a while so I may preservate about something else for a while.

Hurds, by the way, are bits of flax wasted in the spinning process

The Hurds
""Once upon a time there was a girl who was beautiful, but lazy and negligent. When she had to spin she was so ill tempered that if there was a little knot in the flax, she at once pulled out a whole heap of it, and scattered it about on the ground beside her. Now she had a servant who was industrious, and who gathered together the discarded flax, cleaned it, spun it well, and had a beautiful dress woven out of it for herself.
A young man had courted the lazy girl, and the wedding was about to take place. On the eve of the wedding, the industrious girl was dancing merrily about in her beautiful dress, and the bride said,
"Oh, wie das Mädchen kann zu springen,
in meinem Schäben!"
("Ah, how that girl can jump about,
in my hurds!")
(only I sang "Tomorrow will be my dancin' day, I dance in the dress she threw away. . .")

The bridegroom heard this, and asked the bride what she meant by it. So she told him that the girl was wearing a dress made from the flax which she had thrown away. When the bridegroom heard this, and saw how lazy she was, and how industrious the poor girl was, he gave her up and went to the other girl, and chose her as his wife.
And as far as the Brothers Grimm goes that is as good as it gets for a gal, ya know. So much for role models.

Has anyone else a rememory of something that struck you for life, like this?

Merle

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Mar 2015, 2:24 pm

I enjoyed reading that memory, Merle! I have so many good memories of how books I read as a child influenced me, but the two that come to mind first, were Jane Eyre, and the Little House on the Prairie series. I often realize that I have patterned some responses in life based upon those two books, even down to desiring to live a simpler life wherein I divide weekly chores into days of the week. Good topic!

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 9:49 am

Ups and downs and all arounds.

Last Tuesday, I finally got in to see the mental-health counseling service my gummint healthcare would cover. They weren't qualified to diagnose ASD, but after an interview, the psychologist who saw me ruled out schizophrenia, BPD, and anxiety disorder, so pretty much Asperger's is all that's left.

Then on Thursday, my daughter's bus was more than twenty minutes late getting her home. I'll cut them some slack because the traffic in this area can be unpredictable, but that was a bit much, so I called Transportation to see where she was. They said she hadn't gotten on the bus that afternoon. So Hillary headed straight down to the school - where she was told that due to some things they thought Morgana had said, I was under suspicion of molesting her!! (Happens that not only is the accusation ludicrous, but the statement they said she made would have required a sudden quantum leap in communication ability - she simply doesn't make sentences with subsidiary clauses.)

Thank heavens we live near my mother, who was able to take her in for the weekend, because they were about to send her off into foster care, which - well, let's just say it would not have ended well.

Then on Friday, while Hillary and I were being interviewed by someone from DSHS about this, the school called our house - and threatened to contact the authorities if we didn't call them right away and explain why Morgana wasn't in school. That was when we left "ridiculous" territory, and headed off into "Kafkaesque".

We have a family meeting with DSHS this afternoon, and anticipate getting to bring 'Gana home after that. Then Hillary and Jason want to get an attorney, and look into possible action against the school...

So yeah, it's been a hell of a week.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Mar 2015, 12:48 pm

@DeaconsBlues; Oh...My...God.