Page 3 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 12:42 am

Alexanderplatz wrote:
I grew up with steam trains, you used to get excited if you saw a diesel.

8O

What weird part of the world did you grow up in - where steam locomotives were the norm at any time in your lifetime?

Even in my childhood diesels, and electrics, were the norm, and working steam locomotives were novelties. And I am older than most folks on the site.

Did you grow up in South Africa? Or in Communist China? Those are the only two major countries Ive heard of in which steam trains were still the norm in the Sixties and Seventies.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 1:06 am

Britain

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 1:07 am

Quote:
This triangle-shaped train image is quite old photoshop job. It was debunked already in 2006 by the Computing Magazine. The real train photo is below:

https://hoaxeye.com/2019/05/13/toblerone-train/

Another reference,
https://www.lematin.ch/story/les-trains ... 7414646796

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 1:11 am

i like the triangular train :) 8)

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 1:32 am

little P wrote:
POST UR FAVOURITE TRAINS.

Now, to address that ...
Pretty much any train from anywhere!
:D

Pretty much anything in the almost seven-hundred-thousand pictures on here, https://www.railpictures.net/

Also like the small mining trains like on here https://rail.lu/

As for an ultimate favorite individual train?
I don't know how to answer that.
First need to find out whether trains is meant to mean only regular railway freight and/or passenger trains and not trams/trollies.

I am kind of drawn to the smaller industrial, mining, agricultural, and often narrow-gauge, type trains.
And I also really like the early trains of 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s.

And I'm kind of partial to my own model trains of several different scales and gauges; for example,

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 5:24 am

are there model train sets that have intersecting automobile traffic? where the traffic stops at the gate while the trains go by?

DeepBlueSouth
Toucan
Toucan

17 Nov 2020, 6:21 am

I've seen some elaborate layouts where there were crossing gates which descended when the train went by, as well as some with road beds which had electric cars, trucks, or streetcars [trollies] running parallel to the railroad and going along the streets on the layout that way; but I have never seen a set where the street vehicles could actually cross over the tracks/rail line. If anyone could make such a layout, I'll bet MG could. That would be pretty major!! :D

“Politics is the art of controlling your environment.”
― Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 6:23 am

the late singer mel torme had a very elaborate setup in his basement that was like a little scale-model city. saw one similar at the great mall of america 3 decades back. still have pictures of it somewhere.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 6:57 am

Alexanderplatz wrote:
Britain

Gosh. Are you less than a 100 years old?

I doubt that anyone in the US who is less than 90 years old (my moms age if she were alive) "grew up with steam locomotives". I wish I had grown up with steam locomotives because theyre cool, but in the US they were well on the way to being phased out in the mid fifties when I was born. By the time sis and I were in gradeschool and rode cross country trains to visit relatives with mom and dad steam trains were like sailing ships - a thing of the past.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 7:30 am

auntblabby wrote:
are there model train sets that have intersecting automobile traffic? where the traffic stops at the gate while the trains go by?

Yes, there now are products which do that;
https://www.faller.de/gb/en/Products/Pr ... d8682.html
and

https://youtu.be/BOIT-Qf7-JE

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 8:07 am

how utterly charming! :D

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 12:40 pm

I had one of them when they first came out around 20 years ago. They were not cheap.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 1:17 pm

Got to ride on a real steam engined narrow gauge railroad in the early 1990s .

where ever you go ,there you are

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 1:28 pm

Nice. I have been on (Narrow gauge) the Vale of Rheidol, the Tal-Y-Llyn, the Ffestiniog and the Lake Padarn Railway (If that is what it is called as I am trying to remeber. It is near Snowdon) and the Snowdon Mountain Railway.
I have also bee on a couple of narrow gauge lines which no longer exist. One was at a place called Penscunnor Wildlife Park in Pendine and the people in the back carriage were bouncing up and down as it had come off the track and it took a while before the driver noticed as he was not looking back at the train to see that all was going ok.
The little diesel locomotive was then fitted with a fake wooden body to look like a steam locomotive and two of the carriages (There were three when used at Pendine) were used at Pembrey on part of the old Ministry Of Defense railway network down at Pembrey Country Park, but that was abandoned as the childrens play area was on both sides of the railway and parents would leave the gates open and children would run in front of the train. Also I seem to remember if my mind is working correctly, that there may have been a bridge (Or a raised section), and the kids used to throw things at the train from the bridge? For whatever reason it was abandoned. I believe the loco is still in use elsewhere.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 2:06 pm

Old narrow gauge Engines never die , they just lose all their Steam.

where ever you go ,there you are

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 2:16 pm

This is one I have been on a couple of times.