Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Cetacea
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jun 2017, 5:46 am

Hi!
I am new here, so I kind of don't know how to do this. I also don't know exactly where to post it. What I wonder about is how you get diagnosed (with autism/Asperger's syndrome) in other countries? What kind of questions do you get from your doctor and psychologist? Am I the only one who had a doctor who didn't take my problems and challenges seriously? I also wonder if you had to go to both your family doctor and an another doctor? My last question is how old were you when you got diagnosed?

shadowtag
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jun 2017, 12:28 pm

Welcome! I can't say what the diagnosis process is like in your country, but in answer to your last question, I was diagnosed at age eleven.

I hope you enjoy your stay here and pray you find the answers you are looking for :mrgreen:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2017, 6:20 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2017, 6:32 pm

Cetacea wrote:
Hi!
I am new here, so I kind of don't know how to do this. I also don't know exactly where to post it. What I wonder about is how you get diagnosed (with autism/Asperger's syndrome) in other countries? What kind of questions do you get from your doctor and psychologist? Am I the only one who had a doctor who didn't take my problems and challenges seriously? I also wonder if you had to go to both your family doctor and an another doctor? My last question is how old were you when you got diagnosed?

Welcome! A diganosis is determined at the end of an assessment where a diagnostician interviews you and maybe a family member about your behaviors, characteristics and comorbids related to autism. Many tests differ somewhat between nations, but they all arrive at the same conclusion. Sadly, you aren't the only one to have a doctor who didn't believe you or your characteristics seriously (my first diagnostician was only slightly helpful). In the United States, individuals can usually refer themselves to see an autism clinician; but, I know that many other nations require asking a general practitioner to refer an individual to a psychologist or psychiatrist. Doing that that take some time. I was diagnosed at 53 years of age.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

PossiblyBisexualCanadian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jun 2017, 3:05 am

I dont know how to get diagnosed in another country, but I was diagnosed in Canada. What happened for me was I was at my local hospital visiting a psychiatrist for reasons relating to my depression and anxiety. After chatting with this doctor for a while, he noticed I had symptoms of autism and referred me to a psychologist for further neurological testing. I had seen doctors and other mental health professionals before this doctor, but he was the first one to consider me having autism, he was the first doctor to really take me seriously. Then fast-forward, I met with the psychologist for neurological testing, then after a couple months of testing, I was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. I was diagnosed at age 14, at the beginning of grade 9 (freshman year).

Welcome to wrongplanet! I am new here too, but I hope you have a good time on the site! :D

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Jun 2017, 9:03 am

Welcome to our planet - have a long and happy stay - the climate is generally mild and pleasant here!

There are several Norwegians who regularly lurk the forums here.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/