SomewhatGeekyPolyglot, interests: languages,making music,...

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SomewhatGeekyPolyglot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Nov 2018, 1:34 pm

Hi everyone,
I am SomewhatGeekyPolyglot.
Although not entirely new to this forum,
I somehow didn't introduce myself in this subforum up to now.
So I want to change that :).

When speaking about myself to NTs, I could say that I am a "person with neurodiversity".
However, underneath it all, it is one particular kind of neurodiversity, i.e. Asperger's.

Among my most major special interests (and there are rather many I'd say...) are languages, making music, and also anything related to communication, socials skills, and interaction between people with Autism and those without.

Since this is my introduction post, I wouldn't really want to rush in unless asked so :D.
If anybody of you would like to know which languages I speak (and which ones I don't speak but am able to read), I'd love to tell ya.

Or is anybody interested in listening to a few tracks I made? This is Very Possible, too.

Also, I made a log about what I am referring to as:
learning the language of communication, on a certain language learning site.
But again, I wouldn't want to rush in unless asked :).
So I'm looking forward to hear from y'all.

Best regards,
SomewhatGeekyPolyglot = SomehowGeekyPolyglot = SGP

uniqueUsername
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Nov 2018, 1:41 pm

Hi there and welcome.

I would love to hear your tracks. It is an interest of mine aswell. I hardly finish much though. I use mainly software. Also like to 'DJ' ... alone .... in my bedroom ofcourse :D

SomewhatGeekyPolyglot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Nov 2018, 1:52 pm

uniqueUsername wrote:
Hi there and welcome.

Hartelijk bedankt :D!

uniqueUsername wrote:
I would love to hear your tracks. It is an interest of mine aswell. I hardly finish much though. I use mainly software. Also like to 'DJ' ... alone .... in my bedroom ofcourse :D

Now that was a really fast reply... surprise.

And how do you DJ alone? Like remixing when no other people are listening?

As a start, I'd like to share two tracks with you. My main (musical) strength is about improvisation.

The first one is a vibraphone solo.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0q7oje15bjbjb5t/Various_Vibraphone_Vibes-SGP_SomewhatGeekyPolyglot.mp3?dl=0

And the second one is a Japanese koto improvisation. Something similar to a harp.
But I added some really spacy effects.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3whmmda9v7r8pci/Koto_Improvisation-SGP_SomewhatGeekyPolyglot.mp3?dl=0

(Just by the way, right now my creative juices are flowing towards the direction of speaking about the inspirational part of music, rather than the technical one :). But this could change in the future. They could flow in both directions any time soon.)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2018, 2:01 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

SomewhatGeekyPolyglot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Nov 2018, 2:05 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Thanks for the welcome.

After having read your signature, there is also something that came to my mind when people like us would like to... y'know... make NTs more aware of ourselves having a different perception sometimes. Just as... well, for example ... I ... already was able to do it several times even in a face to face conversation. Like opening oneself up a bit more.

Would you (as in: you, AnonymousAnonymous :)) be interested in knowing a bit about what came to my mind right now?

uniqueUsername
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Nov 2018, 2:07 pm

Edit: something went wrong here... lost the entire reply i typed :x

I liked listening to you playing the vibraphone. Especially the lower notes.

As for me DJ'ing, i select some tracks and beatmatch them,do nice transitions. Try to make it an hour long mix that .. makes sense? It is fun to do, but i have to be in the mood for it. Usually post them on mixcloud.

SomewhatGeekyPolyglot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Nov 2018, 2:16 pm

uniqueUsername wrote:

As for me DJ'ing, i select some tracks and beatmatch them,do nice transitions. Try to make it an hour long mix that .. makes sense? It is fun to do, but i have to be in the mood for it. Usually post them on mixcloud.

Glad to hear you liked the vibraphone tune. As for the lower notes, with instruments like that one (i.e. "melodic percussion"), I haven't been playing those lower notes too often. But maybe I could also change that.

And as for the DJ'ing part, now I have a more complete picture.

We even are neighbors :D, sort of. Do you know why?

uniqueUsername
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Nov 2018, 2:18 pm

SomewhatGeekyPolyglot wrote:
uniqueUsername wrote:

Glad to hear you liked the vibraphone tune. As for the lower notes, with instruments like that one (i.e. "melodic percussion"), I haven't been playing those lower notes too often. But maybe I could also change that.

And as for the DJ'ing part, now I have a more complete picture.

We even are neighbors :D, sort of. Do you know why?

Je komt uit België?

SomewhatGeekyPolyglot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Nov 2018, 2:22 pm

uniqueUsername wrote:
Je komt uit België?

This is quite close. But actually, I live in Germany.
However, I have been learning Dutch for some time.
It currently isn't really fully included in the languages I
can speak without thinking too much.

But it is one of my top priorities, and when I read
something in Nederlands, I understand, I'd say, most of it. Not only
because it is so close to German, but because of also having
taken a deeper look at it for some time.
Really love that language, because of its unique and very fresh feeling.

uniqueUsername
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Nov 2018, 2:28 pm

uniqueUsername wrote:
Je komt uit België?

This is quite close. But actually, I live in Germany.
However, I have been learning Dutch for some time.
It currently isn't really fully included in the languages I
can speak without thinking too much.

But it is one of my top priorities, and when I read
something in Nederlands, I understand, I'd say, most of it. Not only
because it is so close to German, but because of also having
taken a deeper look at it for some time.
Really love that language, because of its unique and very fresh feeling.

I can read German without much trouble. Hearing depends on the accent and how fast one speaks.
But i cannot say i master it. It is actually confusing, as it is so close to Dutch and vice versa.
So i will mix up words. It does sound funny.

I would like to learn Swedish sometime. That is a language that appeals to me a lot.

SomewhatGeekyPolyglot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Nov 2018, 2:38 pm

uniqueUsername wrote:
I can read German without much trouble. Hearing depends on the accent and how fast one speaks. But i cannot say i master it. It is actually confusing, as it is so close to Dutch and vice versa. So i will mix up words. It does sound funny.

I would like to learn Swedish sometime. That is a language that appeals to me a lot.

Do you know what I personally perceive when it comes to Dutch and German? Two ways of telling the same story. If anyone would ask me if Dutch is my native language, it would be difficult to say "no" even, because I feel as if I have been knowing it since I was a child :). Really.

And as for Swedish... this isn't one of my most advanced languages. But I still was able to learn some of it, which means: at least speaking of reading, it really isn't that difficult (although a bit more difficult than Dutch).

By the way, do you know what polyglot means :)?
Many do, but not everyone does, that's why I am asking.

And there is something more... something that could take you a bit closer to Swedish, even without active learning efforts. This means that even if you wouldn't actively learn it right now, you still could make yourself more familiar with it. This is what I am doing with languages like Russian, Hungarian or Korean. I currently don't have enough time to fully and actively learn them (also because of other languages :)). But still, one can make some advancements.

Interested in knowing anything more about that "trick" :)?

SomewhatGeekyPolyglot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Nov 2018, 2:39 pm

My previous post just made me laugh.
So many smilies.
But they reflect my very real overall mood, not just now, but currently this is the main mood even.
Adding one more smiley: :D.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2018, 5:53 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

SomewhatGeekyPolyglot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Nov 2018, 6:15 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Welcome to WP!

Thank you, too, for the welcome.

And do you all know what keeps puzzling me a bit?

I still am not sure if WP is a site where people tend to talk
very much (I mean by writing posts), or where the conversations
usually are rather slow-paced.

Anybody tell me?

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2018, 8:05 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Welcome to WP!

Thank you, too, for the welcome.

And do you all know what keeps puzzling me a bit?

I still am not sure if WP is a site where people tend to talk
very much (I mean by writing posts), or where the conversations
usually are rather slow-paced.

Anybody tell me?

It varies. Welcome to WP. I have an interest in languages, but can't get over a certain hump level - I think it is somewhere between advanced beginner and intermediate. I can get the basics but then get lost when it starts getting more complicated. Any tips for that? I have functional knowledge of French and Spanish. Also have basic travel in Bahasa Indonesia and Swedish. I tried to learn Russian at one point but was flummoxed by the declensions.

SomewhatGeekyPolyglot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Nov 2018, 11:56 pm

blazingstar wrote:
It varies. Welcome to WP. I have an interest in languages, but can't get over a certain hump level - I think it is somewhere between advanced beginner and intermediate. I can get the basics but then get lost when it starts getting more complicated. Any tips for that? I have functional knowledge of French and Spanish. Also have basic travel in Bahasa Indonesia and Swedish. I tried to learn Russian at one point but was flummoxed by the declensions.

Thank you, too, for the welcome (maybe I'll keep saying that countless times :)).

When providing some language learning hints, what I especially prefer to do is to mention some "for this particular person" suggestions. Now what does that even mean :lol:? This means that I am especially aiming for something that really fits the "learning needs", so to say, of, for example, yourself. Simply because that is more useful than a "generic purpose" solution :).

However, before being able to do so, I would need a bit more, y'know, "input". Something like a (short) description of what you were already able to learn about French and Spanish (two of my top priorities, by the way).

If you could answer any of these questions (it isn't "required" to answer all of them), then I could provide a more complete learning suggestion.

- Do you feel yourself being able to recall especially the French/Spanish vocabulary that is similar to the English one, but recalling other vocabulary is much more difficult? Or doesn't that matter to you?

- Would you be able to passively recognize a number of the verb forms you encounter, or even to actively use them by yourself?

- When thinking of French or Spanish grammar, is there a certain word that comes to your mind? Like "very easy" or "incredibly difficult", or anything in between.

And what I just wrote isn't limited to one particular user either :). Others can also describe what they already were able to learn about any language. And by "any", I really do mean any. Now without a shade of doubt, that doesn't mean that I would claim to speak every language in the world :roll: , this is impossible anyway. But there still are some ways to provide some hints even if it would be about a language I don't know.