If you had to design your dream house what would it be?

Page 8 of 14 [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2019, 8:01 pm

Funky_little_toad wrote:
A funky little studio I think. Kinda small, but with big floor to ceiling windows in some areas. Hardwood floors, some exposed brick walls. Open plan floor, maybe with some strut beams. One of those weird staircases that just come out of the wall.
Being honest, it's probably never going to happen but hey maybe :)

your best best is finding one like that already built. not new construction, as it would be very spendy indeed unless you could get the supplies at a fire sale and built it yourself, hammer and saw in hand.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 4:30 am

A castle. :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 4:34 am

a castle that never accumulated dust and grime, and had glass windows.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 1:01 pm

auntblabby wrote:

A castle that never accumulates dust and grime, has glass windows, and is insulated

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 2:22 am

kokopelli wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

A castle that never accumulates dust and grime, has glass windows, and is insulated

yeh, that too.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2020, 10:16 am

a manse with electronic walls that could be opaque or mirrored, or translucent or clear at the touch of a button.

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2020, 10:20 am

It would have SPACE because where I live now is full. I need to accumulate more stuff!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2020, 10:24 am

it would have major studio space for my music.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2020, 12:09 pm

The kitchen should have a few extra appliances:

1) a commercial deep fryer
2) a hallway on the other side of the wall where the refrigerator and freezer are located with doors that can be opened so that you can clean the refrigerator and freezer from behind without having to pull them out to get behind them.
3) A tandoori oven
4) An horno outside (New Mexico style beehive oven)
5) A large walk in pantry with wire shelves.
6) Few or no upper cabinets in the kitchen (that's what the large pantry is for). Any cabinets that are there should have glass windows and be backlit.
7) No lower cabinets at all -- make it easy to clean underneath the counters. The first time I ever saw anything like this is in my younger brother's house.
8) A very large sink -- it should be large enough to wash anything that one might want to wash in it.
9) A mildly sloping floor toward the middle with a drain so that if there water leak, the water goes down the drain without flooding the rest of the house. Put a simple work table over the drain.
10) A walk in refrigerator would be really nice, but not required.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 12:58 am

i will have to remember "walk-in" fridge, should i ever win big in the lotto, or some african prince bequests me his fortune.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 2:11 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i will have to remember "walk-in" fridge, should i ever win big in the lotto, or some african prince bequests me his fortune.

Once nice thing about a walk-in fridge is that you could potentially have two entirely separate cooling units for it so that if one fails, you can start and and use the other and keep everything cold.

It definitely wouldn't be very cost effective, though.

That said, there is something that could be done to keep plenty of cold drinks on hand. When I was in high school and college, one of the gas stations back in my hometown had a cooler out front filled with very cold water. There was no mechanism to sell the drinks -- you just picked out your drink and paid the attendant. When they closed at night they would take the drinks inside.

The cooler was amazingly effective at cooling down cans or bottles of drinks.

We used to use that cooler for beer. After it was closed, we would put our beer in it to keep cold. Within half an hour, the beer would be really cold. Whenever we finished off what we had, we would swing back by the gas station and get some more beer out of the cooler. Then when going home at night, we would stop by get whatever beer we hadn't drank yet.

Times were a bit different back then.

Anyway, that was the greatest cooler ever.

Imagine having one of these on your back porch. Fill it with bottled water, soft drinks, sports drinks, and/or beer. Whenever you want something while relaxing on the back porch, grab it out of there. If you have relatives over with lots of kids, remove the beer and let them get their own drinks as they need them.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 3:00 pm

Two bedroom apartment
Nice kitchen
A nice bathtub and shower with a small closet to store towels and products
My bedroom would have pink walls, my bed and a medium sized closet and my dressers
My room that my stuffed animals and plushies stay in would have an armoire and shelves and a day bed for them to sit on. A small closet would be nice
For my living room I just want a couch, a bookcase for my smaller plushies and coloring books. A small flatscreen tv and chest for my tv and gaming consoles to sit on would really be nice too.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 3:15 pm

From a design point of view mine would be a mixture of styles ranging from Elizabethan (like the barley twist chimneys) to Art deco (interior electrical fittings).

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 3:30 pm

Tenuki
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Sep 2020, 4:23 pm

When I was a kid until my late 30s it has been:
A very big hall, like a warehouse or something like that. An in there, lots of small wodden cabins/huts for each need. Sure one for sleeping, one as a bibliothek, one for kitchen, one for storing my clothes an misc, one for clean crafting*, one for dirty crafting and so on. I would have benches in front of the little, little houses and maybe a hammock between them ... and the option to climp on top of them.
Now I like to have a small flat or house out of one piece. Not really one piece, that seems not possible, because I prefer wood. But with everything build smooth and rounded in, like wallcloset, a bed surrounded/build in bookcases and closets, tables with seem growing out of the walls, and comfortable sitting options here and there. Rooms with big windows and something nice to watch outside and rooms with only small windows on top of the wall, so light could come in but I dont have to look outside; so I could choose.

*writing, papercraft, fibrestuff
** painting, woodcarving, pottery

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 6:50 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
Two bedroom apartment
Nice kitchen
A nice bathtub and shower with a small closet to store towels and products
My bedroom would have pink walls, my bed and a medium sized closet and my dressers
My room that my stuffed animals and plushies stay in would have an armoire and shelves and a day bed for them to sit on. A small closet would be nice
For my living room I just want a couch, a bookcase for my smaller plushies and coloring books. A small flatscreen tv and chest for my tv and gaming consoles to sit on would really be nice too.

That is about my speed, something small and manageable for one person. I was browsing online a 288 sq. ft. studio apartment for $600/mo. just today. I like the idea of no yard to mow, everything close by and snug. I don't like the idea of hearing neighbors through the walls though! with the loud muzak.

I live in a big house with rooms I never even use anymore and a lot of space filled with just things. I don't know what half the time, sometimes I find things I did not know I had.