Page 3 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

aaronkt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jul 2005, 1:51 pm

Tardiness has to be my #1 pet peeve. This includes me being late, or someone else being late. I don't understand why some people are constantly late. Do they not know how to tell time? If it's just once in a while that it's done, I can let it go, but not when people make a habit of it.

ashkelon
Raven
Raven

15 Jul 2005, 3:16 pm

ILikeStuff wrote:
I've definitely got to agree with the commercials thing. Advertising in general is, for me, a stress induced aneurysm waiting to happen. The worst are the pharmaceutical commercials. There was a spot for Allegra some time ago in which they showed the allergy sufferer in a field of flowers popping a pill into her mouth. I hate to think of what the commercial would've looked like had Allegra been a suppository.

Or a tampon...

God I hate those commercials.

Especially the ones with happy chickies leaping to their feet in various situations... with a voice over about *eeewww* odor and leakage *eeeewww*.

PrinCessChrisTinA
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jul 2005, 6:07 pm

I hate word prolbems in math, bras, birkenstocks, ditsy airheads who are'nt smart like me :D, loud ppl, and really really stric uptight ppl who make alot of rules :evil:

Monica
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jul 2005, 6:04 pm

The entire "pop-punk" and "garage rock revival" movement in music. Most far-right Republicans and some far-left Democrats. Singers who call themselves artists whose last single was written by someone with no association whatsoever to the singer. Ignorance.

Mostly stupid people. At work last week someone ran through the front door just to ask me what time we close. HELLO. IT'S A BUSINESS. 90% OF BUSINESS HAVE THE HOURS LISTED ON THE DOOR. YOU KNOW, THAT THING YOU JUST WALKED THROUGH?

CleverCait
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jul 2005, 7:56 pm

1. Spelling errors such as "whinge"

2. "Loose" in place of "lose", "to" in place of "too" (or reverse), etc.

3. Smokers. Cigarette smoke makes my nose and eyes itch and the smell is terrible.

4. "hay i c ur online" and other netspeak (except for when it's done as a joke).

5. Screaming babies and children.

6. The way other students in my Spanish classes BUTCHER the pronunciations of vowels and words. "Whole-la, como tay l-yamas?" *smacks the offending person with a dead fish*

7. Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, and the Bush Administration (among others).

8. When one of my sisters runs towards me with open arms saying "HUG!"

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2005, 5:29 pm

You grammar nuts well love this story:
I have a friend who went through my year book and corrected all the your-you're mis-spellings. He drew a line from the incorrect spelling and wrote the proper one at the end of it. My yearbook is covered in grammar corrections. :lol:

I use netspeak except when talking to a friend who can't stand it. My computer's slow and I think slowly in social conversations. I can't keep up in conversations without abbreviating things.

I'm also annoyed/confused by the lose-loose thing. Why would someone add an extra "o"? WHY?!

Today's "Rock" music/mainstream music. The majority of it is complete and utter shi*! And the second something good is played, everyone mistakes for something bad and it's never played again.

Moreover
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jul 2005, 7:29 pm

i have to agree with aaronkt above. i like to be exactly on time or 5 minutes early, so ive kind of come to expect other people to do the same or it annoys me no end. i guess its kind of unfair on other people, but they should learn not to be late. :D

stlf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2005, 7:59 pm

1) The WB network
2) boy bands
3) people whoput me down on me for being "too educated"
4) styrofoam anything
5) people who feel compelled to tell me their own theories of psychology and psychotherapy unsolicited
6) *most* country music
7) evangelists
8. too big SUV's
9) romance novels
10) racism/sexism and all other forms of discrimination
11) Mullets (hairstyle)
12) when the same commercial is played 2X in a row
13) traffic
14) people who ride bicycles on busy roads
15) Churches that think their little signs are clever when they are really stupid.

...and many more

Absolute_Zero
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2005, 2:09 pm

They kind of follow in line with George Carlin and Dennis Leary

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2005, 9:33 pm

My biggest pet peave is when I take Chico for a Walk and there's a whole bunch of waste from some Fast Food resturaunt strewn all over the Sidewalk. My Dog loves to get into garbage.

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2005, 2:54 pm

Quote:
11) Mullets (hairstyle)

Mullets ROCK! :twisted: :ninja:

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2005, 5:39 am

Dog poo on the footpath (especially if I don't see it till I step in it)

Loud obnoxious screaming commercials on TV or radio.

Inane sitcoms like Friends, Dharma & Greg and similar.

People who act shallow and insincere and who are undependable.

Being interrupted when I'm talking.

Screaming kids and babies.

Being hurried.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

stlf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2005, 10:35 am

Prometheus wrote:
Quote:
11) Mullets (hairstyle)

Mullets ROCK! :twisted: :ninja:

Buisness up front...party in the back???

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2005, 4:38 am

They even had a song about the mullet here in Australia - "Mullet Head" by Chris Franklin. It didn't really have that much commercial success but he explained that the mullet came about when he only had enough money to pay the barber to cut about half his hair so he said cut the sides short and leave the back long. :lol:

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2006, 12:52 pm

Another pet peeve is people who say "I can't help you" when what they really mean is "I won't help you".

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Gremlin
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Dec 2006, 1:31 pm

ghotistix wrote:
Asking me what I'm thinking
The first time someone asked me this, I replied--without joking, 'At this point, I'm thinking of an answer to your question.' After some semantic argument, it turned out that I'd forgotten what I'd been thinking about before she became a gameshow host at me.

ghotistix wrote:
"Be yourself."
Yeah. They say that. Then they lock up misanthropes. I'm thinking Entrapment.

ghotistix wrote:
Grammar mistakes
Grammar, spelling, et cetera. Nothing thrills me like being told 'your retarted'. I wonder sometimes: if I joined Mensa, would I get a membership card? And could I use it as evidence that I don't have to talk to these people? It would make it worth it: 'Ah; wait; one moment...it's here some--got it. Mensan. Yeah: superbiped; sorry. There's a squirrel over there; go talk to it.'

I'm bothered by things in stores which lack pricetags, and get placed above the little informational tag for something entirely else. I don't even have to want the thing, whatever it is and whatever it costs; it becomes this sort of dharma to go find out anyway. Related: having to deal with clerks who don't understand what I'm asking, why I'm asking, or why it matters to me that I had to ask what the damned thing cost.

Anything a priori. I've come to the conclusion that 'think about it', as support for any concept, translates directly to 'you're right; I concede; it was a stupid, baseless assertion which sounded good in my own deplorable brain until it met with no changes in your expression'.

Any instance of MeToo [possibly including this reply]; exempli gratia:

'I like cheese.'
'Me too!'
'I will never, ever care.'

Only a Theory. Of all vernacular rewrites, this one bugs me the most. 'Evolution is only a theory! That's why it's called the Theory of Evolution! Think about it!' Yeah, well: Everything is only a theory; that's why it's called the Theory of Everything. Go back to your JellO.

People asking for my opinion before I could possibly know what it is. Like, as the film is ending.
'So. Wha'dya think?'
'I dunno; I'm still reading the credits.'

There are more, but I should probably go read the thread now to see what's already redundant....

timkibler wrote:
People - in all their good intentions - rearranging my things in the name of organization, because they seem convinced that I have no intention of seeing to it myself, eventually, and that when I do I will organize things the way I want to.
This one's important. Actual conversation:

'What happened to the sheet of paper I'd set here.'
'What sheet of paper.'
'The important one. It was right here.'
'I dunno. All I saw was some kleenex and a couple empty soda cans. What paper.'
'Yeah. The kleenex and cans are gone too. Which is fine; I was done with them. Now I need the sheet of paper. I set it right here; now it's gone.'
'What sheet of paper! When!'
'The one I need now; two weeks ago.'

If I put something--anything--a sheet of paper, the MonaLisa, anything--in a volume of space, on this planet, there are two facts to remember: 1) I know where I'd put it, and 2) I want it to be there when I go back for it. Damnit.

Sarcastic_Name wrote:
You grammar nuts well love this story:
I like it already >:)

No one likes adverts? Weird. Those things are fodder.

I saw one from some satellite company strawmmanning a cable subscriber getting her monthy bill for thirty-two hundred bucks. Made me happy: I only pay $160.

I also like telemarketers. In the sense that I like any professional victim. I do this to them:

[ring]
'Yeah'
'Hello this is Brad from Mumblemutter, Incorporated calling to tell you about [snipping several yottabytes of unimportance] how does that sound to you.'
'Sorry; what was your name?'
'This is Brad.'
'Brad. Got it. What was after "Brad".'

I like the ones who aren't able to get off the phone before I ring off. I've had them repeat, spell, define, and conjure up synonyms for every word in their speeches. Hours of fun. Literally.