Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

JulietMikeBravo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Dec 2018, 7:02 am

Hi,

I am Johan and from the Netherlands. Diagnosed Asperger for about 2 years now. Main interests are physics, photography, electronics, computers. Ask me anything about ionizing radiation, my main aspie obsession. I own too much geiger counters and other radiation detection equipment. :D

Of course I am also interested in "soft" science like psychology, sociology and biology.

Currently working at a university, certifying electrical safety of lab equipment. Highly distracting environment :)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2018, 2:04 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2018, 4:15 pm

Johan
Welcome to Wrong Planet. Do you just collect geiger counters or use them? The small radiation meters are neat. I store mine in a mylar bag to protect them from a possible EMP.
jimmy m.

zcientist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jan 2019, 4:39 pm

Welcome to WP, JulietMikeBravo.

JulietMikeBravo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jan 2019, 2:03 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Johan
Welcome to Wrong Planet. Do you just collect geiger counters or use them? The small radiation meters are neat. I store mine in a mylar bag to protect them from a possible EMP.
jimmy m.

I use them now and then to hunt for radioactive collectables like uranium (depression) glass and earthenware with uranium glaze. Most geiger counters are quite useless after a nuclear attack since they will quickly overload due to the high radiation in the environment.

My main counter is not really small, a Ludlum model 2 with a scintillation counter. I also have a Civil Defense CDV-700. These are American counters so I bought them from abroad. In Europe, other meters are more common.
I also collect Cold War stuff in general, I got a real US Civil Defense "Fallout Shelter" sign (the ones hanging on buildings) and a poster against neutron bombs.