Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

DrAlan
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jan 2019, 6:36 am

Hi all, I'm middle-aged and currently waiting for "formal" evaluation (hopefully in the next couple of months).

I've had a rollercoaster couple of years battling work stress, leading to a massive burnout in Autumn 2017, and then finding so much in common with other people on the AS via Twitter and my blog. However, as of 2 months ago I've totally withdrawn from social media, mainly because of the unnecessary unpleasantness on Twitter. I also deleted my blog, having realised that a) I was using it to work through my own issues and b) hardly anyone was reading it. I might creep back quietly onto Twitter to pick up on a handful of friendships.

I miss the mutual support and validation I got from other AS people on Twitter though, and thought I'd see if I can make friends & find things in common with people here.

My belief is that the effort I was expending in masking nearly killed me, and hence my new approach is to mask as little as I can get away with & be wary of it creeping back up on me.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2019, 7:44 am

Welcome to WP. Feel free to join any discussions you wish.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2019, 8:33 am

Welcome to the site.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2019, 10:41 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 12:20 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet with it's vast halls of knowledge and learning similar to Library of Alexandria, not exactly but close.

zcientist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jan 2019, 4:35 pm

Welcome to WP, DrAlan, I am also an older aspie.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 4:46 pm

Welcome. You are just a few years older than I am.

I've developed job related burnout that's been building up over a decade, so I can empathize with you. I'll be changing jobs soon which will have advantages but will also be a major upset to my routines. Like you, my goal is also to "mask" less regardless of what other people may think. I'm at an age and in a position where I need not impress anyone or relate to anyone in an artificial manner for any reason any longer.

Drop me a PM anytime you'd like.

Happy New Year.