Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Parsifal
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jun 2019, 10:44 am

Hi there, I just wanted to introduce myself, I hope I'm not going to be too wordy...
I'm 35 years old self-diagnosed Asperger's, I always had the impression there was something missing about myself since I was a child, I had to face many challenges, on several occasions I struggled where others haven't, to be honest I wasn't even aware of my sensory issues before informing myself about Asperger's, I thought the way I experience the world was normal, apparently it is not.
Long story short, after moved to a different country three years ago, my issues somehow amplified so much to be unbearable, and I started to ask me some questions, I became aware of what Asperger's Syndrome is, I read about it, and everything made sense, so I kept informing myself and I did some tests (like the RAADS-R), which cleanly confirmed my impression resulting in being very very far from a neurotypical result.

Those results pushed me to remember about the struggles of my childhood/adolescence and everything it didn't come up back then, I realized I've been coping by masking my whole life, I lived all my life unaware of being on the spectrum, and it's been overwhelming, exhausting.
So... I am now just an adult who has been pretending to be neurotypical, for obvious reasons it doesn't work and I really don't know what I'm supposed to do, I'm great at masking symptoms, but there is a price to pay for it, like small burnouts, terrible headaches, sleep disorder, depression...
I'm glad I'm aware now, I just wish I had known it sooner, I could have been helped to understand myself better, and I'd probably be able to handle my issues to improve the quality of my life by now.
Please feel free to give me any advice.
Thank you

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 12:15 pm

I don't know what advice to give you except to relax when you need it.

I may be in a similar position. To me it does tick most of thr boxes. I am awaiting assessment to be sure and I will go from there.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 12:49 pm

Hi! Hope you find some help here! :)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 1:01 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

Parsifal
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jul 2019, 12:01 pm

Thank you! :)

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 12:15 pm

Welcome!

I find it helps to do things that reduce the stress in my life.

Some things may not seem like much, but they add up. Sort of like snowflakes. A few can easily be ignored. But as couple feet of them will shut down most cities!

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 8:47 pm

Nice to meet you!

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 10:04 pm

Parsifal wrote:
Please feel free to give me any advice.

First off, welcome to Wrong Planet.

As far as advice, I recommend you read the book called "The Revolutionary Trauma Release Process" by David Berceli and follow the exercises at the end of the book. Aspies experience a lot of stress. It should also be our middle name. Stress unless it is vented can turn into distress (such as burnouts, terrible headaches, sleep disorder, depression). Animals have a common way of shedding stress energy. They do it by shivering. It vents stress in one's core. This book teach one how to capture this form of stress reduction.