Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

FromPluto
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jul 2019, 1:58 pm

Anyone from Africa? Interested in Africa? I am. Mixed feelings. It's very nice and gets me down sometimes too.

Working on shorter more accessible posts.

FromPluto

24 Jul 2019, 6:57 am

Okay... So no one is from Africa? We're not the most hooked up on the net and tend to be pretty switched off as far as recognizing the higher end of the spectrum... So I get it. Maybe I'm the only one to find wrong planet.

Anyone have any interest in Africa or a curiosity about it? (my voice echoing in the carvenous emptiness of this topic)

I'm okay if not. It's kind of the uninvited, forgotten and awkward cousin of the world in many respects.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 8:17 am

I've spent about a year in Tunisia and had a couple of weeks in the Gambia. A couple of friends are from South Africa, they are really nice people.
I've read about the nomadic tribes in Mali and the Bushmen in South Africa. Travelling in those places might not be possible though as I tend to get around on a push bike.
How is life in Africa, in your experience?

FromPluto

24 Jul 2019, 11:18 am

It's a bit hard to write about it in short. Thanks for asking. I can only talk about where I am and from my perspective as a minority within a minority... from another planet and a European decent African.

South Africa is very complicated place to live. You are faced with pretty harsh realities wherever you turn, and I'm not protected from them like NT white people. They have this kind of defence force up. Hard to describe. I don't have it. It's a sore prickly place to live if you are really looking around with eyes open.

But nice things here too. It's home. In some ways, as a lower middle class person, my life is probably not that different from a lower middle class person living in Australia or America... and in some ways maybe better than Europe. I think everyone in the world seems to be uncomfortable right now. Funny times.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2019, 2:00 am

FromPluto wrote:
It's a bit hard to write about it in short. Thanks for asking. I can only talk about where I am and from my perspective as a minority within a minority... from another planet and a European decent African.

South Africa is very complicated place to live. You are faced with pretty harsh realities wherever you turn, and I'm not protected from them like NT white people. They have this kind of defence force up. Hard to describe. I don't have it. It's a sore prickly place to live if you are really looking around with eyes open.

But nice things here too. It's home. In some ways, as a lower middle class person, my life is probably not that different from a lower middle class person living in Australia or America... and in some ways maybe better than Europe. I think everyone in the world seems to be uncomfortable right now. Funny times.

you're from South Africa?

Have run into White South Africans on this, and on another aspergers website. you're the first nonWhite South African Ive run across.

So...which of the many ethnic groups in the Union of South Africa do you belong to?

you're right that the African continent is NOT well represented on Wrong Planet. Its rare that you see someone from that continent on this site. I guess Africa is not yet wired up for internet.

FromPluto

04 Aug 2019, 7:23 am

Yes. I'm South African. Actually I am white with Dutch, German, French, British, Spanish and Malaysian decent most of it from hundreds of years ago. I do think of myself as African because I've only ever lived here and wouldn't be able to call any of the countries my genes come from home. But probably some would find that weird or even offensive. The plain fact is this is my home and I know no other.

I'd love to run into any other African Aspies and hear their stories. I think there are two reasons why they aren't here. They never had chance to be diagnosed and I do think Africa as a whole doesn't have good internet coverage. But suspect it's just because we have tonnes of undiagnosed people running around just feeling that they are weirdos for no reason.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2019, 9:56 am

Yeah I am sure that African aspies are a HUGELY underserved community - underserved by medicine, and by the Net.

I love Trevor Noah, and I like the music of Hugh Masakela.

Okay..so you are basically White, but have a smidgen of Malay. And even among your White ancestors you have ancestors from both sides of the Boer Wars: Brits and Afrikaneers.

Interesting mix.

Yeah, there are not many Africans I run into on this site.

There was another White south african guy who showed up on General Autism, and didnt stay on the site long. There was lady who claimed to live in Egypt in her profile (dont know if that was true or just some kind of joke), and thats about it. No one at all from anywhere in Africa between Egypt and South Africa that I can recall!

FromPluto

05 Aug 2019, 9:30 pm

Well thanks for your input. You've been around here in an active way for a long time. So I think you're giving me a good idea of what to expect in terms of meeting people from this continent.

Maybe there are some lurkers. Show yourself!

I've met one guy who is black who seems to be a verbal autistic (although he prefers to sing randomly). Not diagnosed but with quite a lot of traits. South Africa is 80% black people... So probably I've met others who aren't obvious to me or before I was looking (2017 I was diagnosed).