Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

bhawk
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Aug 2019, 12:57 am

Hey everyone, i have only just found this site from another ASD based site.
Im in the north east of the UK, my life has a weird connection with autism, i barely knew about it for a long time. the first time i encountered it was when i was 16 and dating my first serious girlfriend. Her brother was diagnosed with aspergers. Then many years later (4 years ago) my son was diagnosed with autism. He has always amazed me at his pure determination in life. hes an absolute inspiration.
Then a couple of years ago my mother started dating a lovely man who has an autistic son who is also amazing. around the same time i started seeing my partner, she started working at a residential care home for autistic children which she loves, she has found her lifes calling. As for me, i have always had mental health issues. But 10 years ago i was diagnosed with schizophrenia, depression and schizoid personality disorder. This had led to staying in a couple of psychiatric wards. A couple of years ago (after a decade of harrassing the doctors) i was also diagnosed with an extremely rare sleep disorder called idiopathic hypersomnia. this is made complicated by bouts of severe insomnia too (totally contradictory i know.) After a few years out of the mental health system, recently i had a bad turn. i sought help and it culminated after several weeks of assessments in meeting with the psychiatrist who then changed my diagnosis. He diagnosed me as ASD, dysthymia and schizoid personality disorder. I was given no explanation of the hallucinations i had experienced many years ago, and once he gave me the diagnosis, he shook my hand and said goodbye. Since then i have had no interaction from any of the doctors, which i am quite angry about tbh.
In the family, my sister has pretty severe ehler danlos syndrome, i have it very milld. My sons mother also has it and its severe. My son appears to have it too, however he doesnt seem badly affected by it. I have heard many times recently that they think there is a link between ASD and EDS. How many of you are hypermobile?
My nephew in poland is also in the process of being diagnosed ASD.

So yeah, bad genetics! :D :D :D

I wont ramble on anymore, youl probably find out more about me in time. So yeah, nice to meet you all

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 1:33 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2019, 9:14 am

welcome

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2019, 7:14 pm

Pleased to meet you, welcome! :)

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2019, 11:00 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

bhawk wrote:
Then a couple of years ago my mother started dating a lovely man who has an autistic son who is also amazing. around the same time i started seeing my partner, she started working at a residential care home for autistic children which she loves, she has found her lifes calling.

I'm not sure I understand that last sentence. Who is the "she" who "started working at a residential care home for autistic children"? Your mother or your partner?

bhawk wrote:
As for me, i have always had mental health issues. But 10 years ago i was diagnosed with schizophrenia, depression and schizoid personality disorder. This had led to staying in a couple of psychiatric wards. A couple of years ago (after a decade of harrassing the doctors) i was also diagnosed with an extremely rare sleep disorder called idiopathic hypersomnia. this is made complicated by bouts of severe insomnia too (totally contradictory i know.) After a few years out of the mental health system, recently i had a bad turn. i sought help and it culminated after several weeks of assessments in meeting with the psychiatrist who then changed my diagnosis. He diagnosed me as ASD, dysthymia and schizoid personality disorder. I was given no explanation of the hallucinations i had experienced many years ago, and once he gave me the diagnosis, he shook my hand and said goodbye. Since then i have had no interaction from any of the doctors, which i am quite angry about tbh

Have you had hallucinations or other psychotic symptoms recently?

Alas, there just aren't many services available for "high-functioning" (relatively speaking) autistic adults.

bhawk

17 Aug 2019, 2:49 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet!

I'm not sure I understand that last sentence. Who is the "she" who "started working at a residential care home for autistic children"? Your mother or your partner?

Sorry i should have clarified that a bit better, my partner was the one to start working at a residential care home :D

Mona Pereth wrote:
Have you had hallucinations or other psychotic symptoms recently?

Alas, there just aren't many services available for "high-functioning" (relatively speaking) autistic adults.

The last time i had a hallucination was nearly a year ago, although since i started medication the hallucinations became less frequent and somehow less "real", less fixed in reality and i have the ability to recognise them as hallucinations. It doesnt stop them being scary however.
Since i got my diagnosis, i havent been offered anything. I went to the doctors a few weeks later and asked about a possible meds change (ive been on olanzapine for 10 years) and he told me i was still under the care of the mental health team, so i rang them and they told me i was under the care of my GP, so i asked the gp to confirm and he said i was definitely still under the mental health teams care, so i rang them back up again and told them i needed a meds change, they said they would talk to the relevant doctor to get them changed straight away and would get back in touch in a couple of days. i havent heard from them since, and that was a couple of months ago. I can barely make phone calls, my local gp is horrendous and ive never seen the same doctor twice....so now im just winging it lol

bhawk

17 Aug 2019, 2:51 pm

oh and thank you everyone for the welcomes :D :D :D