Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

icecreamcart
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2019, 4:00 am

Age 63
Undiagnosed, but never done a test where I wasn't.
Decided diagnosis is no longer in my best interests.
Married, kids (grown-up, what's that?)
Self-employed (great, no crowds or bosses etc)

Masked? I guess that means we have learned to hide it. Yes. Says me. Maybe not so much around those who know me.
Friends and family know I am a bit "off" and accept me for me. Nice of them.
I use hyperfocus to make a living.
I have learned to manage what I focus on.. and use it as a tool.

I have read that by my age we have learned how to be, survive, interact etc. I guess that's true.

I'd much rather have my aeroplane piloted by a focussed aspie. :)

anton.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2019, 4:20 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

icecreamcart
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2019, 4:41 pm

Thank you

ElabR8Aspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2019, 4:56 pm

@51 and having lived through life being undiagnosed,i do commiserate,but also see the positives of having lived undiagnosed.

I wouldn't change a thing.: )

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2019, 5:17 pm

Hi and welcome :) ! My son is a pilot too(AS). We have alot in common... Good to have you with us.

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2019, 5:21 pm

Welcome to wrong planet. Good that your friends and family accept you quirks and all.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2019, 6:11 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2019, 8:00 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! I'm glad you're here. Broad outlines of my life are similar.

icecreamcart
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2019, 5:32 am

hi guys and gals, pleasant surprise to see us long-in-the-tooth types responding. I appreciate your welcome to a depth only you can understand. No need for me to hide (is that the word "mask" usually?) it, makes a very nice change. :-)

anton

icecreamcart
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2019, 5:34 am

is there a suitable area in here where we can compare notes? The thought of no longer being completely alone may bring a tear to my eye.

AugustD
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Dec 2019, 5:51 am

Hi Anton,

Welcome to WP.

I'm self-diagnosed as well and also of similar age. I only found out 2 months ago after reading Wikipedia with regards to Aspergers. For me, it's important to get a formal diagnosis, which is scheduled for March 2020.

I hope you'll enjoy your stay here..

August

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2019, 8:32 am

When I first joined WP, I spent a lot of time reading the threads of others, and it was so amazing. THAT is why I've done this. THAT is why I have such problems in social groups, etc., etc. It took a while, but over time I learned most of the quirky things of my life are due to aspie-ness. It's given me a new perspective and gave me a focus of ways to improve the quality of my life.

You can also start your own threads. Post in the Haven if you want to be treated gently. Post in general autism subforum if you want more exposure.

icecreamcart
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2019, 8:35 am

Hi August,

I discovered quite some years ago now, I think just because I always enjoy doing such quizzes. I will be very interested to hear how the process goes / works. When I tried it, it was largely based on childhood matters, took no account of my ability to "mask" and wanted to rely on my parents as well, neither of whom were available. So I have a letter affirming I am absolutely normal, compared to every test I ever did putting me firmly in there, not to mention all my life experience of friends, family and others' .. let us call it "feedback".

Likewise many books (I like Kindle) especially the author (edit to add: Tony Attwood) who recognises there is a distinct problem, or perhaps I should say skill diagnosing adults and especially older ones. I found all his considerations of the professions accustomed to dealing with children to be true in the context of myself. I had hoped to find otherwise. Then I enquired why diagnoses might be worthwhile and in my case concluded it is not something I want. I can totally understand someone wanting one.

At two months you are indeed very new to all this. That said I only found this place yesterday, though it rings a bell so maybe I have been here before. My memory is not what it was and even then it was not brilliant.

Thanks for your kind thought and likewise :-)

anton

Last edited by icecreamcart on 05 Dec 2019, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

icecreamcart
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2019, 8:39 am

Hello Blazingstar,

Nice name.

Thank you for that I will head off for a look.
Not sure how brave I am in terms of those two. By which I mean too practised at being brave when that is the very last thing I feel. Jumping off cliffs springs to mind.

Regards

anton

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2019, 11:12 am

I'm new to this (awareness) as of the summer. It is amazing to me to find folks who think and socialize as I do. My area has an adult AS support group that I attend and I am one of the youngest (approaching 50). I enjoy the insights from those who have been on the planet a wee bit longer than myself. I hope to be a wise woman in my time (in my way).

Welcome!

icecreamcart
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2019, 11:20 am

thanks SharonB

Just what I am quietly hoping for, insights from those further along my path..

thanks for the welcome :-)

anton