Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

holymackerel
Toucan
Toucan

17 Nov 2020, 7:04 am

Hi, my name is Chris. I love hiking and watching endless amounts of Star Trek. I just got a diagnosis today, so I thought I would introduce myself. I am currently an engineering college student, hopefully going off to uni next year to study industrial design. I live in the UK and live in Cornwall which in my opinion is one of the scenic and idealistic places on the planet. I absolutely love getting a map out and finding new routes out and about around Cornwall and visiting the coast and countryside we have around here. I hiked a trail upcountry last year and I really enjoyed it and now I am planning to do it as often as possible, money allowing it. I think I might participate in the forum a bit while I am adjusting to my new diagnosis and maybe learn a thing or two from the people on here, hopefully getting to know some of you guys will help me understand myself a bit more.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 7:25 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet, although with 28 posts already under your belt, you're hardly what I'd call new. You don't even have that new poster smell anymore. :lol:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 9:01 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 9:49 am

holymackerel wrote:
...I think I might participate in the forum a bit while I am adjusting to my new diagnosis and maybe learn a thing or two from the people on here, hopefully getting to know some of you guys will help me understand myself a bit more.
Welcome to WP--even if you've left your "new poster smell" behind.

The common wisdom is that if you've met one autistic then you've met one autistic so I'm not confident I can be much help as you try to understand yourself. But, when I first started to learn about autism I found a I especially enjoyed humor coming out of the autistic community.

I am curious what flavor of engineering you are leaning toward, though.

holymackerel
Toucan
Toucan

17 Nov 2020, 10:07 am

Double Retired wrote:
holymackerel wrote:
...I think I might participate in the forum a bit while I am adjusting to my new diagnosis and maybe learn a thing or two from the people on here, hopefully getting to know some of you guys will help me understand myself a bit more.
Welcome to WP--even if you've left your "new poster smell" behind.

The common wisdom is that if you've met one autistic then you've met one autistic so I'm not confident I can be much help as you try to understand yourself. But, when I first started to learn about autism I found a I especially enjoyed humor coming out of the autistic community.

I am curious what flavor of engineering you are leaning toward, though.

I'm not really leaning towards engineering. That's just one of the possible courses that universities are looking for experience in. I want to study designing products with focus on being able to find employment in computer aided design jobs and leave my employment options open to more creative roles like industrial design jobs.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 3:42 pm

Hi and welcome, Chris :)! Congrats on getting through the assessment process and coming out the other side. Hope you’re feeling okay with the knowledge and that it’s helpful to you. I love Cornwall and am considering moving their next year. I stayed in a beautiful Miners Cottage there just after the first lockdown was lifted here this year, and it’s my favourite part of the UK now. I’m an Aussie who feels very much at home here now. I’ve completely fallen for Cornwall and can’t wait to get back there! Good to have you with us.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 10:37 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 10:53 pm

holymackerel wrote:
Hi, my name is Chris. I love hiking and watching endless amounts of Star Trek. I just got a diagnosis today, so I thought I would introduce myself. I am currently an engineering college student, hopefully going off to uni next year to study industrial design. I live in the UK and live in Cornwall which in my opinion is one of the scenic and idealistic places on the planet. I absolutely love getting a map out and finding new routes out and about around Cornwall and visiting the coast and countryside we have around here. I hiked a trail upcountry last year and I really enjoyed it and now I am planning to do it as often as possible, money allowing it. I think I might participate in the forum a bit while I am adjusting to my new diagnosis and maybe learn a thing or two from the people on here, hopefully getting to know some of you guys will help me understand myself a bit more.

Still trying to understand myself as yet, and I am on the list waiting to be assessed. :D

Cornwall is nice. I call it "The Wedge".

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2020, 4:43 am

Steve1963 wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet, although with 28 posts already under your belt, you're hardly what I'd call new. You don't even have that new poster smell anymore. :lol:

I can't smell anything. Is this some kind of extra-sensory sensitivity thing?

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2020, 4:46 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet. Fellow hiking/bush-walking fan here, and there is no such thing as too much Star Trek.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2020, 4:25 am

You will like this thread. 8)

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=365981&start=496

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2020, 4:26 am

aquafelix wrote:
Steve1963 wrote:

I can't smell anything. Is this some kind of extra-sensory sensitivity thing?

You might have covid.
Get tested! 8O

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 7:26 pm

I had COVID. Never lost my sense of smell or taste.

holymackerel
Toucan
Toucan

22 Nov 2020, 2:38 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I had COVID. Never lost my sense of smell or taste.

Apparently it is pretty serious. I saw a video of one guy chewing on garlic paste and swilling lemon juice and he said he couldn't notice a thing. I think it has something to do with your nervous system being attacked.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 2:44 pm

holymackerel wrote:
Hi, my name is Chris. I love hiking and watching endless amounts of Star Trek.

Excellent 8) :D

Welcome to WP!