Any other mental health/psychiatric healthcare workers?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Crow_Decks
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Apr 2022, 2:06 pm

Hello all,
First time posting in this forum. I’m wondering if there are any other mental healthcare workers here. If so, could you share how you think your autism is a strength or weakness? I’m very interested in possibly connecting with others in this fascinating and difficult field of work.
Thank you, and best to everyone!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 3:07 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

lgum
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Apr 2022, 3:19 pm

I am a music therapist in mental health care settings. I think it is a great strength to know there is no such thing as ‘normal’. I accept everyone I work with as they are without judgment. I see my role as being partners with them on a journey toward wellness. And wellness is defined by the individual not by the medical system

Crow_Decks
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Apr 2022, 3:39 pm

lgum wrote:
I am a music therapist in mental health care settings. I think it is a great strength to know there is no such thing as ‘normal’. I accept everyone I work with as they are without judgment. I see my role as being partners with them on a journey toward wellness. And wellness is defined by the individual not by the medical system

Music therapy is amazing. I’m working on applying for my master’s in art therapy, I have my bachelor’s in AT, and use it frequently when working with the clients at my hospital. Thank you for responding, very pleased to meet you.

Crow_Decks
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Apr 2022, 3:40 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Thank you!

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 4:20 pm

I'm not a mental health worker like you (Crow_Decks) or Igum, but I work in an adult day program. I deal with mental health issues daily, even if that's not the main reason I'm there. I'd say autism is an advantage because the clients aren't really alien to me, even if their disability/condition is different. I know what it's like to be outcast, isolated, and misunderstood more than most of the other staff.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 4:32 pm

I am an advocate for people with developmental disabilities, including autism, and help them to obtain needed services. Some of my clients also have mental health diagnoses. Actually, many do, if you count depression and anxiety. I think my autism has blessed me throughout my life as seeing people as who they are, where they are, and not understanding the judgments and categories other people put people in.

Crow_Decks
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Apr 2022, 4:38 pm

blazingstar wrote:
I think my autism has blessed me throughout my life as seeing people as who they are, where they are, and not understanding the judgments and categories other people put people in.

I am currently living in a cliche scenario of being the mental health worker who is deeply struggling to seek help and supports, and what you said was beautiful. I hope I can find a therapist who has your outlook. :heart:

lgum
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Apr 2022, 5:19 pm

Crow_Decks wrote:
lgum wrote:

Music therapy is amazing. I’m working on applying for my master’s in art therapy, I have my bachelor’s in AT, and use it frequently when working with the clients at my hospital. Thank you for responding, very pleased to meet you.

Very pleased to meet you, too. It's awesome that you are going into art therapy.

I'm also in that cliché scenario--being a mental health worker who is struggling and needs supports, so here I am!

Crow_Decks
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Apr 2022, 6:12 pm

lgum wrote:
Crow_Decks wrote:
lgum wrote:

Very pleased to meet you, too. It's awesome that you are going into art therapy.

I'm also in that cliché scenario--being a mental health worker who is struggling and needs supports, so here I am!

I know there’s many of us in the field who are struggling with lack of support, poor compensation, and difficulty reaching out in part due to HIPAA, but I haven’t really met anyone else in the field who is open about the struggle. Possibly because it’s seen as a ‘bad look’ for helpers struggling with help, I’m not entirely sure why. But it’s wonderfully human to connect with you in this honesty. What has your experience with your colleagues/coworkers been like? Are you “out” to your job?

lgum
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Apr 2022, 8:36 pm

Crow_Decks wrote:
lgum wrote:
Crow_Decks wrote:
lgum wrote:

I know there’s many of us in the field who are struggling with lack of support, poor compensation, and difficulty reaching out in part due to HIPAA, but I haven’t really met anyone else in the field who is open about the struggle. Possibly because it’s seen as a ‘bad look’ for helpers struggling with help, I’m not entirely sure why. But it’s wonderfully human to connect with you in this honesty. What has your experience with your colleagues/coworkers been like? Are you “out” to your job?

I'm not out to my job--although I'm out in other professional forums, so it's not a total secret. I'm in the process of seeking formal diagnosis, at which point I am planning to come out at work. I have been open about my mental health history, which includes hospitalizations, with some people I work with, especially as I hope it makes them more respectful toward the people with whom we work.