Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 8:42 pm

Hey all,

How do you view introception ?
How do your manage it, emotionally?
How does this afffect your view, feelings and your quality of life?

I'm planning on making some changes.. :?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 8:46 pm

I've been doing a year-long course on Interoception with my OT, literally about 100 hours or more plus homework. I'm learning everything from recognising hunger and fatigue, to identifying flavours like sweet vs salty or bitter. My view is that it's critically important as a first step to managing alexithymia, which is the next step toward improved executive function.

Poor interoception affected my life profoundly but I didn't know the extent until I started this program.

Good luck on your changes!

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 4:33 am

I view interoception as my sensory processing of internal sensations. Mine are a bit mixed up. I can't tell when I'm hungry or thirsty. I manage that by eating and drinking regularly, not when I fell hungry, cause I don't feel hunger unless I'm absolutely starving. Emotionally I can't easily tell the difference between feeling anxious, feeling angry or feeling sick. I managed that by learning mindfulness, which revolutionised my ability to determine what I'm feeling. As for quality of life, I don't know as this is the only experience of life I have. It is what it is.

My advice would be to invest time in practicing (not just learning) some mindfulness skills, particularly mindfulness of body sensations and then describing these in words. I wish you well!