Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

SpaceMartian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jan 2022, 8:58 pm

Hello everyone, my name is the one my parents gave me and I live in my house. Exciting, I know!

Jokes aside, as of today, I'm still quite young (under 25), male, and not a total weirdo. Not at all!
Just to prove it, I daily drive Linux (Manjaro), do most things on the terminal (anyone else loves Yakuake?), I type using Dvorak on a mechanical keyboard (aprox 75WPM with decent accuracy) and the notification sound I have on the phone is literally the 1st line of text of said notification in morse code (thanks to the magic of a very simple Tasker script).
I'm not into gaming, just sometimes something casual, the radio on my car is there just to cover the hole that would otherwise be on the dashboard, (for the most part, I hate music as much as the news and the commercials) but because I'm a total gearhead I will do all the maintenance (except for plugging the radio back) myself, albeit, with some help for some stuff like replacing shock absorbers and that 300.000 km old clutch that's not at all fried. Totally normal stuff, as promised, not a total weirdo.

I should probably mention, I'm also quite an idiot the whole time sometimes, but you probably have figured that out already.

By the way... I'm asperger, diagnosed... 2 and a half times. (Rather lengthy and quite possibly boring diagnosis story within the spoiler)

Ever since I was a child (age 7 or so) my school sent me to see the psychologist because I was "not making friends" and well, I've been going practically ever since, but nobody told me anything until age 14 when a substitute psychologist (the regular one wasn't that day for some reason) told me it was clear I was on the spectrum, that he concours on what was noted before, but gave me no formal diagnosis. Ever since I've been reading about it and... lots of rings rang and puzzle pieces came together, so I may just say I self diagnosed (myself), also did a bunch of internet autism test with the expected results.
I should clarify, at this point I'm relying on the public healthcare system so no picking therapist nor... anything. After being in therapy for so long, (and because I got almost NOTHING out of it) I leave "therapy" at age 18.
Eventually, after some eventual eventful events, at age 21 I actively seek help (don't worry I have NEVER tasted any form of alcohol / drug or even coffee nor things with caffeine (including Cola and such), so no weird shenanigans there but rather some depression and burnout situations) and get yet again into therapy, but because the healthcare system is totally fast and all, by the time I got the much needed help, I could just as well asking how much my retired pension would be. During that period I tried to get into the Asperger community thing but I got no formal diagnosis and it was a long, expensive process, so I gave up there. Strike of luck though, someone who has a child of her own with autism recommended me this really awesome psychologist not only specialized in autism... but herself being autistic and only working with autistic patients. YAY!
I got diagnosed by her, and got a positive diagnosis, she helped me immensely, finally I got something out of therapy! A few months later the public healthcare system finally gave me some sessions, so I asked for a diagnosis without telling about the other one... And yes, got it (again).

So in total, 2 formal diagnosis + self diagnosis + a psychologist mention it as a confirmation of what was written on the other psychologist (that counts as 2?). Make it confirmed 2 and a half times :)

Diagnosis story over (finally) and just for reading it, I'll give you my special permit to get into the kitchen and steal a chocolate cookie. If anyone says anything, tell them I gave you a permit to do so, that will confuse them so you can run away!

Well that wasn't a formal introduction, but it is what it is, every bit as messy as I am. Excited to see how I can contribute and help anybody out and vice versa!

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 9:15 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet :D You cannot be an idiot as you found how to do a spoiler on your first post :nerdy:

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 9:24 am

welcome!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 9:47 am

Welcome to WP! I think you can find some kindred spirits here. :alien:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 4:51 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

SpaceMartian
Blue Jay