Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

HiccupHaddock
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Mar 2022, 3:30 pm

Hello,
This is the first time I've posted although I've been reading this website for a while, and am impressed by the kindess I see here, and how honest and friendly people are. I think there are many wonderful people among you.
I am Mum to my lovely son who is 7 and recently diagnosed on the autism spectrum/Aspergers.
I've read a lot about autism in the last 2 years and was amazed to see a description of myself in many books, especially how I was as a child or teenager. When I read Tony Atwoods 'The Complete Guide to Aspergers Syndrome', I thought "how can he know all this about me?" I think I might be on or very near the spectrum. It is nice now to have a name for what I used to see as something odd about myself, and know that I am not alone, and can be proud of my differences rather than ashamed.
I also find it very useful to read all your thoughts about parenting autistic children, to help my son. It sounds corny, but you are an inspiration.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2022, 9:16 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you find the company pleasant.

And, I hope you have discovered these two quizzes on the Internet:
>=>- Autism-Spectrum Quotient Test
>=>- Aspie Quiz Registering is optional!

They can't give you a formal diagnosis but they can be interesting.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 4:05 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 6:02 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. I hope you and your son will benefit from our knowledge.

As an Aspie (someone on the Aspergers Syndrome), we are a strange lot. Most people have positive and negative parts of their characteristics. Aspies also have positive and negative traits, but ours are much larger is scope. So grow your positive traits and let them overcome your negatives.

HiccupHaddock

13 Mar 2022, 4:17 pm

Dear all,
thank you for your kind welcome!
I do think many autistic people are wonderful. An example is this forum, where people help and support each other.
My goal is to help my son grow up knowing that autistic people are great, and to know he has many positives. And not to care what the world thinks!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2022, 4:29 pm

Well, I hope you've searched the Internet for lists of famous people thought to be Autistic.

And then I really hope you don't get disappointed if your son isn't quite that distinguished.

When I first did that search it really battered my ego. I felt like I had fallen so short. It took me awhile to realize those folk are the exception. Not everyone can be like them...NT or Autie, alike.

HiccupHaddock

14 Mar 2022, 3:05 pm

Thanks, yes, I think it is great that nowadays there are well known autistic people like Temple Grandin, who are brilliant role models.

For my son my high hope is that he will be happy in himself and comfortable to do what he wants, not worrying about what others think, and live each day on his own terms.

I'm so proud of him already that he manages to go to school each day! A classroom full of noisy 7-year olds is a pretty full-on experience, draining on so many levels (social, emotional, sensory). I call that an achievement! : )

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2022, 6:17 pm

welcome!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2022, 7:17 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. I’m glad you decided to join the conversation and look forward to hearing more from you.

HiccupHaddock

17 Mar 2022, 3:07 pm

Thank you for your lovely welcome! : )