Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

SimianLibrarian
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Dec 2022, 1:15 pm

Rather than spending the next few hours deciding how to open this, I'll get right into it!

I am m(gender nonconforming)/31. I realized my condition as an autistic person about 5 years ago, but only in the last year or two have I really started to analyze/understand/come to terms with how it has affected my life, and only in the last few months begun to seek a diagnosis. Due to a series of traumatic experiences in young adulthood leading me to close off emotionally, combined with my difficulty in seeking and initiating personal connections, my social circle has stunted over the years. Now that I understand where some of that, and my lifetime sense of can't-put-my-finger-on-it isolation, comes from, and I have had some years to recover/reorient myself, I want to make close friends that share an outsider-friendly perspective, as well as some of my passions for games, stories, and/or ideas, and the intersection thereof.

Right now I work as an accountant, 95% WFH (for which I am very grateful) for a large corporate firm (for which I am not). My handle refers to my old/favorite (but not financially viable) job working circulation at my local library (and, more literally, the Librarian from Discworld).

Hobbies: I love science fiction/fantasy and other books exploring the "other" or pushing/questioning cultural norms and boundaries (likely a common interest among us aliens) - been on a bit of an Ursula LeGuin kick of late, The Dispossessed matched so many of my own perspectives I may as well have formed them from it - watching anime (everything from shonen to romcoms to comedies - right now I am rewatching Dragon Ball), and playing games (all sorts - I finally beat Dark Souls a few months back and use Pokemon Nuzlocke runs as my nightly soothing activity).

I am a strong believer in "don't hate the player, hate the game" and in maintaining an open mind and heart, but want my own life to better reflect those ideals, and above all, I want to feel connected again to people who are enthusiastic, passionate, and thoughtful, and who value those traits in others. I look forward (with trepidation and anxiety, as always, but also with hope and joy) to getting to know some of you!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2022, 5:55 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

alex
Developer
Developer

18 Dec 2022, 6:02 pm

Welcome

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2022, 6:10 am

WElcome! Its such a relief to get that first rush of self understanding, understanding of so many "whys" and sudden insights into our pasts and how autism always worked there without our knowing. Glad you are with us

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

SimianLibrarian
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Dec 2022, 3:59 pm

@autisticelders Thanks - yes, it is, though it is also a bit overwhelming - my life, preferences, and values all come into sharp relief in the new light, and past mistakes take on new context. I am also glad to be with you folks : )

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2022, 4:53 pm

Welcome to WP!

And if anything here begins resembling a traumatic experience, please just switch to a different thread, not a different planet.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2022, 5:59 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 2:10 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet.