Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

FormerChild
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Sep 2022, 8:39 pm

Hi everyone! I’m a masked autistic, just diagnosed last month at age 28. I’ve spent my whole life feeling so different and alienated. I was bullied and abused really badly from childhood and throughout high school, by my classmates, teachers and family members. I met my husband during college who has pretty much been my only ally in life. I was able to earn my MS in Mathematics and publish some research, although school has always been really hard for me. I had a really hard time interviewing after leaving my PhD program, experiencing what I recently found out were panic attacks, PTSD and autistic burnout.

Now I’m happily self employed as a mobile app developer and artist, and get to spend a lot of time with my husband, 3 kids and 5 pets. I started going to therapy a few months ago, hoping to deal with some past traumas and get my PTSD under control, only to realize how badly my son struggles in social situations and with sensory overload, which made me remember that I responded to stimuli in similar ways as a kid, and was actually nonverbal. But no one else ever commented on it, so I thought that most kids were the same as me.

I’m really thankful for my diagnosis, and hope that living more authentically can empower me and help me live a fuller life. I’m also happy that I can empathize with my son and his struggles, and get him the support he needs. Still processing how badly I was treated as a kid, wishing that someone had helped me or noticed that I needed help and support instead of just crapping on me. Excited to be a part of this community and meet others like us :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 6:03 am

Welcome.

I feel like you could learn from the past, and not deny it. And it certainly helps you help your son and understand him.

I am of the opinion that it’s better to seek to move forward from that past, and consider your present and future, which looks really good at this point. You’ve transcended your past!

And live in an excellent climate to boot!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 10:53 am

Welcome to WP! It sounds like you'll be a good fit here.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 11:42 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet. Many people on this forum have experienced the same feelings. It is as if we were born on the Wrong Planet.

As to the problem that you and your son have experienced. There is a solution. When we experience stress, it accumulates within our bodies. It will eventually reach a breaking point. Even a small little event can cause us to experience a melt down. We experience more stress than the average NT (neurotypicals) but that is only part of the problem. NTs have developed a means of draining built up stress in their bodies. Stress buildup is eliminated by a specific form of high intensity exercise.

One example of this type of exercise is RUNNING THE 50 YARD DASH.

This type of high intensity exercise reduces stress buildup and eliminates meltdowns. If your son feels stress building up, if he runs around 10 fifty yard dashes, he will return back to normal and avoid a melt downs.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 12:48 pm

Willkomen :mrgreen:

FormerChild
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Sep 2022, 2:47 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet. Many people on this forum have experienced the same feelings. It is as if we were born on the Wrong Planet.

As to the problem that you and your son have experienced. There is a solution. When we experience stress, it accumulates within our bodies. It will eventually reach a breaking point. Even a small little event can cause us to experience a melt down. We experience more stress than the average NT (neurotypicals) but that is only part of the problem. NTs have developed a means of draining built up stress in their bodies. Stress buildup is eliminated by a specific form of high intensity exercise.

This type of high intensity exercise reduces stress buildup and eliminates meltdowns. If your son feels stress building up, if he runs around 10 fifty yard dashes, he will return back to normal and avoid a melt downs.

Hi Jimmy, thank you for this information. It sounds great and like it will help my son Jack tremendously. I know what things he likes (swimming, baths, etc) but it's hard to transform that into something actionable when a meltdown / shutdown is taking place.

FormerChild
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Sep 2022, 2:53 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Welcome.

I feel like you could learn from the past, and not deny it. And it certainly helps you help your son and understand him.

I am of the opinion that it’s better to seek to move forward from that past, and consider your present and future, which looks really good at this point. You’ve transcended your past!

And live in an excellent climate to boot!

Thank you! I'm inclined to agree with you and working on it! Ever since my diagnosis, I find I'm able to go to bed hopeful and excited for the first time in my life, instead of exhausted, negative and analyzing every aspect of my day. Being able to manage my burnout and not beating myself up for not upholding NT standards of work and life have been really great. Every morning I wake up and feel like a little kid, looking forward to what the new day brings. :)

In the middle of a bad head cold, sorry if I am rambling!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 3:32 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 3:33 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 8:05 am

I’m in the midst of mild COVID

You’re not “rambling” at all.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 7:26 am

FormerChild wrote:
jimmy m wrote:

Hi Jimmy, thank you for this information. It sounds great and like it will help my son Jack tremendously. I know what things he likes (swimming, baths, etc) but it's hard to transform that into something actionable when a meltdown / shutdown is taking place.

The thing is "He doesn't have to wait for a meltdown to begin, all he needs to do is know when his stress levels are building up and then eliminate the stress before it explodes."

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 5:16 am

welcome! when I finally recognized my own autism it was such a shock, surprise, and relief! Finally the world began to make sense. My history of painful "whys" had answers. Glad you are with us!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson