New here. Can't believe there are so many people!

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Willowmay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Sep 2007, 10:41 pm

Hi there,
I am new here, kind of new to the whole Aspie world actually. I was never diagnosed as a child, but discovered this as an adult and, suddenly, everything made sense. I'm from a small community where all I knew was that I didn't fit in. I knew I was different from even the others that didn't fit in because I realized that I didn't mind not fitting in. I'm so glad to see that so many people are willing to discuss it and be together and especially not being ashamed of it. Today I watched an Oprah episode about curing Autism and the so called "spectrum" disorders like they were deadly diseases. Maybe some feel that way, but I know that Aspergers is a part of who I am. Without it I would have been someone else and I kinda like who I am. Anyway, I just wanted to say hey, and yes, I'm a writer, so sorry if I was long winded.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

18 Sep 2007, 11:13 pm

Welcome, Willowmay!

My story is much the same. Glad to have you here. :)

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 11:15 pm

Welcome to the Wrong Planet.

Last edited by Flagg on 19 Sep 2007, 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 11:59 pm

Welcome Willowmay,

I write too. Not only are there lots, we have 2,000,000 in the U.S. Oprah is strange. I was hoping for a cure for her, but simple is simple, and the lowest common denominator. Ignore those people. Watching TV causes NTism.

Here you do fit in and they do not. How big of a world do you want? There is no type, and a very wide range.

So come play and have fun.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 6:52 am

Welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 7:04 am

Inventor wrote:
Oprah is strange. I was hoping for a cure for her, but simple is simple, and the lowest common denominator.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 1:36 pm

Willowmay wrote:
Hi there,
I am new here, kind of new to the whole Aspie world actually. I was never diagnosed as a child, but discovered this as an adult and, suddenly, everything made sense. I'm from a small community where all I knew was that I didn't fit in. I knew I was different from even the others that didn't fit in because I realized that I didn't mind not fitting in. I'm so glad to see that so many people are willing to discuss it and be together and especially not being ashamed of it. Today I watched an Oprah episode about curing Autism and the so called "spectrum" disorders like they were deadly diseases. Maybe some feel that way, but I know that Aspergers is a part of who I am. Without it I would have been someone else and I kinda like who I am. Anyway, I just wanted to say hey, and yes, I'm a writer, so sorry if I was long winded.

Yes, that is not too different from short story version of my experience (dx'd only in adulthood).

Caught the episode of Oprah yesterday afternoon & was aggravated by whole thing. What they described of their children sounds nothing like my diagnosis, yet the broader view (available in books & online) of range/spectrum does include my areas of difficulty.

Welcome to the confusing & fascinating new perspective this descriptive framework provides. Expect it to take time for the vast amounts of info. to percolate through your mind, it's a lot to 'catch up on'. Integration of knowledge & synthesis of conflicting emotions don't happen overnight or in an instant, so I wish you patience with your self (if that makes sense).

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Sep 2007, 2:51 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet Image

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 3:30 pm

Hello stranger.

What're ya buyin'?

Willowmay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Sep 2007, 8:18 pm

Thanks for all the welcomes. I definitely understand the confusion and the suggestion of being patient with myself. I do get frustrated especially with what I call "my flakyness." I have a lot of trouble jumping from one obsession to another. I sometimes don't know what I want because I've jumped around so much that I don't know if something is what I really want or just the latest obsession.

There is a lot of information and discussion on this sight and I am really excited about that. I hope to get to know some of you better. I have this weird (or not) idea of creating a community someday, not just online, but real, where people could go to live or just visit with others like them. Call it a kind of Refuge for the Refuse. I'd love to know what people think of this idea. Should we try harder to fit in with the society we live in or just leave it behind for one we do fit in?

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

20 Sep 2007, 9:53 pm

Hi Willowmay

Welcome to WP :D

mine_eyes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Sep 2007, 11:12 am

excellent!

welcome!

i know exactly what you mean about obsession. ever obsessed about tattoos?? 8O lol

good luck! and congratulations!

i'm new too, not even professionally diagnosed. (except by my entire family :wink: )

about your question: maybe accept society, at the same time, accept ourselves. i'd totally live in an aspie colony though! :wink: could you imagine what kind of culture and society we could create?? sounds kinda like a sci-fi novel though. :idea:

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 12:04 pm

I agree with mine eyes, neither.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

Willowmay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Sep 2007, 1:01 pm

Hi, mine eyes and all,

Actually it may sound like sci-fi, but people are doing it all over the world. Look up intentional communities. Most people are about religion or saving the planet, which is cool with me, but I think alternative culture would be cool too. It would be interesting to see what the culture would be like. Would everyone bring their own cultures and turn it into a hodge podge thing or would the common Aspie experience turn it into something new. Anyway, an interesting thought. Maybe it will even happen some day!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 1:04 pm

Alternative culture sounds like a good idea.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 6:50 am

Willowmay wrote:
Hi, mine eyes and all,

Actually it may sound like sci-fi, but people are doing it all over the world. Look up intentional communities. Most people are about religion or saving the planet, which is cool with me, but I think alternative culture would be cool too. It would be interesting to see what the culture would be like. Would everyone bring their own cultures and turn it into a hodge podge thing or would the common Aspie experience turn it into something new. Anyway, an interesting thought. Maybe it will even happen some day!

If you listen to Wikipedia, then we already have our own culture. It's just that it's a subculture, subcultures are a bit like normal cultures except they always have a parent culture, and either they get along or they don't, obviously we don't get along with our parent culture. Also I've heard that some places already have a large concentration of Aspies or Aspie like traits, like Salt Lake City for example.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson