Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Carbonhalo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Nov 2007, 8:39 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if i feel relief or disappointment at finding wrongplanet.
I've only started to research AS this week, and every word i've read raises red flags from here to my very first memories.
socially dysfunctional child genius, age inappropriate behaviour, clumsiness, alienation, ---- full steam ahead and damn the torpedos.
I have a question.... is there any point being diagnosed at age 47?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 8:40 pm

Welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Mindtear
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 8:44 pm

hi,

Im not sure, it might be good for clarity or something.

May be bad for insurance if your in the states.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Nov 2007, 8:49 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet!Image

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 9:10 pm

Carbonhalo wrote:

For your own peace of mind, or to get access to help and services, yes.

If you must go to trouble and expense to obtain the diagnosis, or if it could be used against your interests, no.

Of course, whether you disclose your DX to anyone - assuming you do get one - is up to you.

Meantime, welcome here. :)

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 9:16 pm

Nice to meet you, Carbonhalo. :)

liberty
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Nov 2007, 9:21 pm

Carbonhalo wrote:

Welcome to WP! I was just diagnosed a few months ago at 46. It was a HUGE relief!! ! Now I know why I am the way I am...and that I am perfectly normal - for what I am - an Aspie!! The problem was that I was trying to be a normal NT - and I never could. No amount of pressure or harrassment could make me fit. I tried and was SEVERELY depressed - thinking I was just a freak and would never be anything at all except a weirdo loser.

Now that I know I am an Aspie, I can look at the ways I am different and say "Oh, well - it's the AS." and shrug it off instead of seeing it as some sort of personal failure. I also see the ways I am "better" than others and the gifts that AS bestows. It's a trade-off. I haven't decided which is better - and I probably never will. But this is good and I'll take it.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 11:06 pm

There's plenty of over 40s here. Whether you need a dx is up to you. Some people need or want one, some people prefer not to be officially labelled.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2007, 1:26 am

Welcome Carbonhalo,

I am 61, I doubt other's words would help, except those who live in the joy of AS.

Next you will be 48, so little motive, not much medical study of adults, we are all a Culture of One, and we all adapt. There is nothing like you in The Universe, except you.

You can find yourself in others here, we are all part of AS, no one has all, it is a mix. Some traits not at all, others, Oh yea, and other we grew through.

AS is a sneeky thing, so reading here leads to discovery moments.

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2007, 1:32 am

Carbonhalo wrote:
.... is there any point being diagnosed at age 47?

Self-knowledge is power . . . right? A good thing. Plus, many of us oldsters have merely learned to "pass" for NT in the course of decades, and maybe an official Dx is one baby step closer to a more accurate view of self.

hip66
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Nov 2007, 12:20 am

Hi Carbonhalo,
Welcome to WP. I'm 41 and was diagnosed six years ago at the age of 35. It's true that a diagnosis can be a relief, and AS does indeed come with gifts, for me it had some unexpected consequences as well. I'm honestly not trying to toot my own horn, but I wrote about some of these consequences in the Members Only section in a thread entitled--Does Anybody Here Feel Lost? I mention it to save myself some typing and so as not to make my greeting to you too long. I should interject one thing, however. Remember that AS is a spectrum and that we all fall at different places on that spectrum. The comments I wrote in that thread are not a prognostication of what will probably befall you, (it may not!), it is simply reflective of certain conditions and variables present in my life. In the meantime, welcome to WP; make yourself at home!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2007, 2:30 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!