Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Spinetrak
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jan 2008, 3:55 am

Sorry for the topic title, I'm on a Cheap Trick trip recently :)

I'm new here, just wanted to say hello at last. I'm 28 and I'm totally not sure if I have AS or not as I've never been diagnosed, neither my father, but I strongly suspect he has it, and as I've always seen myself as a somewhat lighter edition of him, I suspect i might have it, too. But I don't really believe in self DX, so I won't ask 'is it AS or not' type of questions. Recently I'm gathering information about how to get a formal diagnosis (or a formal statement that I don't have it), but it's not easy here so it'll take some time.

Anyway, I need some advice. I have a new job since the start of december. The first few weeks were hard because I really suck at small talk and the others thought I was an as*hole, but I tried hard and now it's quite allright, they seem to accept me as I am, though they still think I'm a bit strange.
Anyway, the problem is that tomorrow we're going to a 'team building training'. I know about this for weeks now, and it literally gave me sleepless nights. I thought about finding an excuse, but this would be a bad point in a new workplace, I guess. So it seems I have to go. First, for two days, I have to be around people that I don't know. Second, I have to sleep in a bed that's not mine. Third, I have to sleep in a room with someone I don't know (I have a strict routine in the mornings and I guess I won't be able to stick to it now). Four, and that seems to be hardest for me, I have to take part in group games, or how they call 'em, I have to talk, talk and talk. You know, we sit down in a circle and everyone has to tell something about himself, and similar stuff. I'm kinda afraid of a meltdown here.

Any advice how to survive this ? Thanks.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

21 Jan 2008, 4:19 am

Hmm...team building training. I've done some of that...although it wasn't through work as I have never really been employed.
Anyway, I would suggest to go along and see how it goes. Sometimes, things aren't as bad as they may initially seem. I was worried about team building when I had to do it, but as it turned out, it wasn't all that bad. I was supported throughout the two days there and throughout the activities. In the end, apart from a few cuts and bruises, I had an ok time...not great, but not horrible either.

Anyway...Hi Spinetrak,

and welcome to WP.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 5:27 am

First welcome to the Aspie community...

I have had to attend quite a few team building sessions over the years and like you worried so much, would always try not to attend if possible. But to be honest, they were never as bad as I imaged and actually quite enjoyed them, you usually find you can stay in the background if you want to, as always seems to be others wanting to take lead roles..

When having to tell others something about yourself, just keep it simply soon moves on to the next person.

Good luck and you never know you may enjoy it, hopefully :wink: and at the end of it you will have more to talk about with your colleagues..

Spinetrak
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jan 2008, 5:44 am

Thanks, both of you. As i don't have any other choice, I'll go, and hope it won't be as bad as I imagine it will be.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 8:26 am

Nice to meet you, Spinetrak. :) 8)

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Jan 2008, 5:36 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet!Image

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 9:12 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 10:58 pm

Welcome,

Lie.

Soon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 11:06 pm

welcome :D

Spinetrak
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2008, 1:42 pm

Thanks.

Well, the training was as bad as I thought it'd be. On the first day I had one panic attack/meltdown (something between the two) in one of the sessions. In small groups we had to draw our workplace as a vehicle. Of course I didn't say a word or gave an idea (as I didn't have any) and tried to focus, but there was noise as everyone was talking and at one point I lost it and had to leave the room as quickly as possible. I went to my room and sat there for a while till I got better. The second day (today) was a bit better, but at the end we had to walk around in the room and MAKE EYE CONTACT with each other. I laughed and walked straight out of the room. :D