Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Alisa
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Mar 2008, 12:28 pm

Hi everyone! I discovered this site through wikipedia and after looking through some of the threads, I decided I was interested in joining up.

I was diagnosed with both Aspergers and ADD when I was in elementary school. Now I'm a sophmore in high school, and in some ways, still struggling. School is also far from a walk in the park for me in terms of grades. Unfourtunentely, I have been slowly becoming aware of how other kids besides think of me, and it isn't good. Thankfully, I have a friend who is just the BEST and she's even helped me make some other friends as well!

Like many others with Aspergers, I have obsessions with things and for me, these come and go. One thing that I became obsessed with was Pokemon in about second grade, and as you can tell from my avatar, I never entirely got over that one! :) I'm also a hardcore gamer, and too often my obsessions stem from the latest game I've played. I'm also an intense reader, a real bookworm, and as soon as I get a new book, I often read the whole thing in the same day! My bookshelves are packed, as I can never bear to through any of my books away.

My ADD doesn't really help matters much, as it makes me forgetfully and I often daydream during class. After reading through some books about both conditions, I read that there aren't as many girls as boys who are diagnosed with either condition, and since I was diagnosed with both, I guess I'm among few! (I think as least).

All gripes, rants, and difficulties aside, I'm really proud of being Aspergers, not as much ADD because it's the main reason for my school troubles but I'm still somewhat proud. Aspergers allows me to comprehend and memorize things that other people would normally not be interested in, as well as giving my passions an extra boost. ADD has granted me creativity, the ability to take those things I learn about and imagine them in new ways, to create worlds, believable characters, and stories in a matter of minutes. Both combined have given me a unique perspective in life, moreso than most others.

Hope this post wasn't too long!

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 12:33 pm

Nice to meet you, Alisa.

I have ADHD so we're in the same boat.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Mar 2008, 3:02 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 3:31 pm

Welcome, welcome.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

22 Mar 2008, 3:55 pm

Hi Alisa

welcome to WP.

High school can be hard for anyone but especially for those in the spectrum! I dropped out of high school when I was 14 because of various reasons...I hope that you manage to stay there and graduate.
I'm female, diagnosed AS and depression...not ADD. But yes, we females on the spectrum are indeed amoung the few, but there are many here. :)

I hope you enjoy posting here.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 5:20 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 5:31 pm

Welcome Alisa,

ADD/ADHD and Aspergers often go together but while ADD is a separate condition it is also a component of aspergers. Often when it's diagnosed before Aspergers, the condition isn't really present, it's just a facet of aspergers.

I don't know if that might apply in your case but it's worth considering.

smheath
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Mar 2008, 9:51 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! Your profile says you're a male but your post implies you're a female. Which is it?

SDFarsight
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2008, 10:21 pm

Welcome to WP. :) And yes, I too find that my Aspergers makes me more creative. :)

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 11:37 pm

Welcome to the forum, Alisa!! :D

Memorizing and comprehending things others can't is great isn't it

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 12:13 am

hello Alisa

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 10:03 am

Welcome Alisa! :)

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 4:43 pm

Hi Alisa welcome to the "right" Planet 8O :wink: :roll:

Alisa
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Mar 2008, 6:21 pm

Thank you all for your kind welcome! :D smheath, I just adjusted my profile to show that I'm female, which I thought I already did. Shows where my mind is half the time!