Hi I'm new. :-) Is anyone here in College?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 7:18 pm

Hi my sister was reasearching one day and thought I had Asperger's. The more I read about it the more it makes since sadly I told the psychiatrist and he said I still had Bipolar and I could have both and that Apersperger's isn't helped by pills so he couldn't do anything. My Asperger's issue got me into trouble in school and I was suspended so now I'm trying to get back into college doing online class'.

I'm wanting to major as a Psychologist of some type but my parents are 100% against it and say since I play videogames I should do something computer based and yet I understand unlike them that Psychology is more than dealing with people there are thousands of things to do and all of them don't have to do with sitting down with you and listen about your problem I'm looking towards for example (Why You buy product?,Why you behave the way you do when you are drunk?,also I feel people seem happier during Christmas and why is that?) NONE (sorry for caps) of this has to do with sitting down with you and hearing your story of your dead father,divorce etc. Does anyone have any ideas sadly if I did do college (I have to get my AA first) but afterwards while getting my Bachelor's I would be 100% alone on this sadly. Thanks fellow Apserger's people. :-)

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 8:00 pm

Nice to meet you, zeldapsychology. :) 8)

I'm at the same university as Alex, George Mason University or simply know as Mason.
I'm an Integrative Studies Major in Social Science for Education.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 8:13 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

CottlestonPie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 May 2008, 8:49 pm

When I first suspected I had asperger's disorder, I was hopeless. I didn't think I would be able to get a job outside of the computer industry. I changed my major to computer science, even though I was most interested in psychology. Four years later, I am a senior working on a B.A. in Psychology. I plan on being a therapist. Social behavior can be learned. It is just harder for us. My psychology classes helped me a whole lot. I could understand why people act the way they act when I read it in a book. I couldn't pick up on it in everyday life. Now I don't feel as handicapped. I know I will always be weird, but I can get along with people. It just takes time and practice to learn how.

BAP22
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 May 2008, 9:55 pm

I don't know much about computers, but i've just recently started to pick it up and was surprised how easy it all is...but this has mostly been hardware and software work, nothing too indepth.

Do what works for you, what you enjoy doing, what makes you happy. To me, it sounds like Aspie is a frame of mind, not some disability or life altering event. You've always been you, no matter what, and you know what you want to do more than anyone else.

I was quite fascinated by psychology and took about 4 classes that ended up counting for nothing. Yet I wouldn't take those back in a second. I don't know what i want to do yet either, but I've decided i'll figure it out when necessary, and it won't be necessary for awhile yet.

And welcome, i'm new here too :)
Wasn't sure if i should call myself an aspie at first, but the more i read about it and think about the way i am, the more its chilling to see these traits in myself.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 10:00 pm

BAP22 wrote:
I don't know much about computers, but i've just recently started to pick it up and was surprised how easy it all is...but this has mostly been hardware and software work, nothing too indepth.

Do what works for you, what you enjoy doing, what makes you happy. To me, it sounds like Aspie is a frame of mind, not some disability or life altering event. You've always been you, no matter what, and you know what you want to do more than anyone else.

I was quite fascinated by psychology and took about 4 classes that ended up counting for nothing. Yet I wouldn't take those back in a second. I don't know what i want to do yet either, but I've decided i'll figure it out when necessary, and it won't be necessary for awhile yet.

And welcome, i'm new here too :)
Wasn't sure if i should call myself an aspie at first, but the more i read about it and think about the way i am, the more its chilling to see these traits in myself.

Welcome to WP!

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 10:32 pm

Welcome! I'm in college too! I'm a freshman in art school, majoring in fashion design.

Don't listen to your parents. Psychology is extremely interesting, you can do SO much with it! Plus in learning so much about other people, you can learn a lot about yourself in a sense. I took a class on it last year, and I think it will help me in the fashion industry later on. Psych connects to everything, because every career is either learning about people or finding ways to better people's lives, right? It all has to do with how we perceive everything and what we need to thrive. You're taking a smart move. Don't let anyone discourage you.

You should find a career where you can conduct studies or stay in a lab - you can still do psych-related work, but it would be less stressful, more technology-based and you'd still be learning about people. I think my friend is doing this. Something to consider

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 11:44 pm

I will be attending Texas State University, in San Marcos, Texas this fall.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 8:41 am

Hi!

Welcome to Wrongplanet!

I'm not in college, but we welcome everyone here!

I hope you enjoy posting!

autism
Toucan
Toucan

06 May 2008, 3:12 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet.

Lavos
Raven
Raven

06 May 2008, 9:45 pm

I'm 3 weeks away from high school graduation. I'm going to the University of Georgia (honors program). I will major in horticulture.