Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2008, 4:10 pm

I saw the new Neurologist on July 17. We talked about a bunch of stuff. In-between, he mentioned that Aspergers is a “fad diagnosis.” Kind of a casual, throw-away line. Ok, this guy is a dead-end. But he did give me a direction (a new one, sure to be another emotionally draining maze, but with a good chance for a pay-off). Before I can start that process, he said that it would take him a WEEK (???) to write a LETTER to my regular doctor, saying that he THINKS I MIGHT be an Aspie. Can you say, "No s***, Sherlock?" (Why a week? He knew I was coming.) And he sent me for a blood test.

When I went for the blood test, I got the technician to decipher the handwriting so I could look it all up. She said it would take 16 days for the results to come back.

blue Rx scrap: ICD DX CODE 780.93 (a catch-all, non-specific memory loss)
CBC (Complete Blood Count)
CMP (Chronic Myofascial Pain? My neck & back?)
T3/T4/TSH (If this is about thyroid, been there, done that. N/A.)
Lyme Titer (What’s that got to do with it?)
Lyme igm
RPR (Rapid plasma reagin / syphilis. He could have asked.)
B12 Level (vitamine – I need to look it up)
Fragile X Chromosome DNA test (Just to humor me?)
Copy to regular doctor

He went through the usual medicine man dance, rattled the beads, chanted the chants.
Half the time, I was so focused on figuring out the purpose of a question that I didn’t understand the question. (“Lift your knee.”) I want to know what you’re looking for. I have no reason to believe that you can read me any better than anyone else can.

For the most part, he had an easy, likable, non-threatening style. With a soft voice, he acknowledged my intelligence. (Implying, “I’m not going to be condecending – really.”) It was effective and I was mostly disarmed. In any other situation, I would have bought it, 100%.

He moved in close, way-way into my personal space, with a sincere, understanding expression.
I made a conscious decision not to flinch. He touched my knee to punctuate a sentence. I held my breath and allowed the gesture. Looking back, I imagine that these moves were a part of the test. My failure to flinch or run screeming from the room is due to my age and adaptability. I’m sure he filed it away as “no response, therefore no Aspie.” Had he asked me in standard English, I could have saved him the trouble.

The test for Fragile-X: Will the lab take the hint and test for a bunch of stuff? In science fiction, when they look at the DNA, they look at everything and, along the way, they accidentally find stuff. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is not going to happen here.

So now what? Do my own research, name every nit-picky genetic quirk that can be associated with Autism, and go back for another test? Damn, I hate needles. I allowed that without kicking and screaming, too. On the outside, at least.

Could I reasonably have expected anything more?

Last edited by Tahitiii on 21 Jul 2008, 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2008, 11:09 pm

the people that i went to just tried to trick me into paying for a bunch of lab work so they could then charge me to treat me... as that's what they do... "treat" autism, lol they don't even do DXing (which they told me they do so [for adults!! !] over the phone when i made the appointment... wish i had recorded that conversation so i could possibly get out of paying for that visit) it's a bit more aggravating than simply that... but i am currently trying other avenues so i'm trying not to get pissed at those other people as i sit here typing and thinking about it.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2008, 11:39 pm

Sedaka, Where do you live?

My intention with the diagnosis is to go to the NJ department of vocational Rehab (the other side of unemployment) and ask for services (not money) as a disabled adult. I need (a) someone to hold my hand through the hiring process and (b) a sympathetic boss who will protect me from the troglodytes. (People can be such jerks but, in a law office, I can hope for a semi-civilized boss.) I don't need "job coaching," thank you, I've done this before.

My neurologist told me to take his raggedy little letter and that they (DVR) would send me to their doctors, charging the state rather than my insurance. They would not treat me but would provide services based on the diagnosis. He said that they would be more objective because they have no vested interest n the diagnosis.

I don't know how this works in other states.
Would this be useful to you?

Last edited by Tahitiii on 21 Jul 2008, 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2008, 11:56 pm

DC... i don't think i would have too many issues with employment.

im just trying to satisfy my own thoughts. think i can get in on a study where they would be able to assess me... either way, i have to show them my brain as payment.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 12:30 am

Tahitiii,

A neurologist is a poor choice for Autism-related disorders, unless it's for a comorbid neurological condition that they deal with; PDDs are in the domain of clinical psychologists/psychiatrists. I don't see his logic of telling you that it's a "fad diagnosis", unless he thinks the disorder is being exploited (I haven't really found this to be the case), i.e., professionals giving the label out willy-nilly.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 9:00 pm

I've been asking for years for "a shrink who knows something about neurology."
Nobody could hear me.

I've also been wishing for a shrink who's smarter than me, but I've given up hope on that one.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 7:05 am

Well, the psychos/psychics are there to recognize the behavioural manifestations of Autism/Asperger's, as there's no set neurology that's common to individuals with an ASD [so far].

Whilst you may know as much theory as them, they'll probably have more experience than you concerning the physical manifestation of the disorder.

If you can use the phone and talk to people on it, you could call around and ask if any of the local psychos/psychics know anything about Autism/Asperger's, and if they see anyone with such.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 10:52 am

Mmm... psychos/psychics... lol...

sorry.

Anyway, just out curiosity, Sedaka. Have you checked out any of the clinicians on this list for VA or MD?

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2008, 4:10 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
Well, the psychos/psychics are there to recognize the behavioural manifestations of Autism/Asperger's, as there's no set neurology that's common to individuals with an ASD [so far].

Whilst you may know as much theory as them, they'll probably have more experience than you concerning the physical manifestation of the disorder.

If you can use the phone and talk to people on it, you could call around and ask if any of the local psychos/psychics know anything about Autism/Asperger's, and if they see anyone with such.

i did that w/o much luck.......... heck half of them told me to go to my general physician for a referral... besides all the senseless co-pays and other fees which i don't wanna pay JUST TO TALK TO HER FOR 5 MIN... im trying no to leave a paper trail on the topic.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2008, 4:13 pm

Zara wrote:
Mmm... psychos/psychics... lol...

sorry.

Anyway, just out curiosity, Sedaka. Have you checked out any of the clinicians on this list for VA or MD?

im looking into a study that i might be able to participate in... they may be able to assess me. i'm waiting on a phone call or email in response to my query about it... i'll let you know when i've met with them and can tell what they're all about.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com