Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lonewolf
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Nov 2005, 10:56 pm

:( I only found out a couple of years ago of this condition,and went thru decades in denile.
concentration in class was limited and so the grades reflected.relationships were hard almost not being myself to have one for a short time.Its just hard to communicate it builds up over the years and feeling like I'm a joke.I finally got profectional help as I was having, lets say really bad perment thoughts of a cure.I just don't know if many of you all have had a long bout with this aspergers thing.Its just frustrating as you know

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2005, 11:07 pm

I think I can correctly say that we all have had a bout with autism for at least as long as we can remember.

Tere
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2005, 11:09 pm

I've had Aspergers for 57 years Lonewolf. I was diagnosed in 1998 after the death of my mother. I have spent my life knowing I was different, but; not really understanding how. I have problems articulating and I'm a failure socially.

I train horses and dogs and am very comfortable in intuitively "knowing" how to commuicate with them. I am just lucky to find something I really enjoy. If I lived closer to the zoo here, I would be doing volunteer work there.

I'm only successful in things that I don't have to talk.

I have a few friends (all NT's) but; my friendships do not last long. They just don't understand me.

I am doing well right now and have made a lot of nice people here who accept me as I am. That is all I want.

lonewolf
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Nov 2005, 11:23 pm

I'm glad you found a resorce of sorts to handle things better.I also love all kinds of critters.
Thats about my fovorite TV or movie themes.or discovery channels.
I have one dog now and three cats all strays except the westy.my golden died and a big piece of me went with him.

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2005, 11:41 pm

We used to have a Jack Russel X Chihuahua. Named Wally, cause he had spots and stuff. Smart dog, that. We had to put him down, cause he had hurt his back. He was about 12 years old. Rather a ripe old age for a small dog. Before him, we had a kelpie pup called Dusty, caught distemper and died. And before that, my mum bred pugs and entered them in shows.
We had a pet goat once. Died in a lightning storm. We had called it Esmeralda, lol. Hehe, I also remember my youngest brother standing over its grave and singing to it. And we had a pet lamb, which we pulled out of the carcass of its dead mother. The lamb was halfway out when the mother died. I don't know whatever happened to that lamb. We also had a horse, called Brandy. She produced a little foal, which we called Cloud. But alas, we couldn't keep both so we sold Cloud to a knackery. Eventually we had to give Brandy away too, cause noone had time to ride her.
Yeah, we had a lot of animals over the years. They're fun, but they can be expensive.

lonewolf
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Nov 2005, 11:57 pm

I think most of us respond to animals because they don't judge us, they accept us to who we are.
Few people have the patients to understand whatever the heck we at least tring to say.

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2005, 2:18 am

No, not really. I don't much care about animals.

Tere
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2005, 9:00 am

I love animals. I love working with them and watching them in the wild. We have bird feeders and houses and watch them year round. We also have 3 or 4 squirrels that come for peanuts and sunflower seeds. :D

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2005, 2:39 pm

lonewolf wrote:
:( I only found out a couple of years ago of this condition,and went thru decades in denile.
concentration in class was limited and so the grades reflected.relationships were hard almost not being myself to have one for a short time.Its just hard to communicate it builds up over the years and feeling like I'm a joke.I finally got profectional help as I was having, lets say really bad perment thoughts of a cure.I just don't know if many of you all have had a long bout with this aspergers thing.Its just frustrating as you know

Aspergers doesn't come in "bouts" as it's a life long condition,do you mean there are times when things are worse?
A lot of other factors can make things very difficult for the Autistic,getting into high school is one of them,as we get older we are expected to take on more responsibility and stress.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2005, 4:48 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
Aspergers doesn't come in "bouts" as it's a life long condition,do you mean there are times when things are worse?

Are you so sure? Perhaps one could redefine autism as episodic: periods of social disconnection and self-absorption. Thus, a person could recover from autism by developing social skills and finding ways to derive pleasure from being in the company of others.

lonewolf
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Nov 2005, 1:00 am

Hi Titmouse yes I know its a forever disease,but my depression takes over and I wind up being alone is what I ment by bout.just deal with it as long as I can I guess.

irishmic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Nov 2005, 8:01 am

Thats the everlasting joy of being diagnosed now as an adult, at the time when Neural Disorders are being rediscovered and reevaluated. Could you imagine going through your whole life and never knowing. Personally, I'd rather know.

The best thing is that Aspies as well as the greater autistic community are finding there voice today and banding together as never before. Work to be a part of the solution.

Knight-Errant
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Nov 2005, 8:03 am

The best thing about finding out about ASD is that it allowed me to stop blaming myself for my difficulties.

CDRhom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2005, 3:31 pm

irishmic wrote:
Thats the everlasting joy of being diagnosed now as an adult, at the time when Neural Disorders are being rediscovered and reevaluated. Could you imagine going through your whole life and never knowing. Personally, I'd rather know.

The best thing is that Aspies as well as the greater autistic community are finding there voice today and banding together as never before. Work to be a part of the solution.
I know very well the pain of being mis-diagnosed as BPD until 1995 when my PTSD counseler had me take a new test, correctly diagnosed me as an Aspie and opened up a whole new world of becoming a functional person.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2005, 2:14 am

Knight-Errant wrote:
The best thing about finding out about ASD is that it allowed me to stop blaming myself for my difficulties.

Yeah. It's good to have a reason.
I mostly enjoy my Asperger's.
I don't enjoy my depression.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2005, 10:14 pm

sounds like I'm in the same boat as you lonewolf. I have'nt been diagnosed yet, but after learning about the symptoms, there was little doubt in my mind. Figuring out what is wrong with me has been the single biggest relief in my life. 8)