Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Orbyss
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 10:34 pm

I figured it was about time I posted up an introduction of some sorts, though mostly I'm a lurker.

I initially joined the forums here to help deal with the two men I'm close to. No, not in the polyamorous sense--one's just a really good friend. Both of them show 'autistic' traits, such as narrow focus, social withdrawal, systemization and situational inflexibility (especially socially). Neither of them has been diagnosed, but the traits show up in other members of their families.

And then there's me: a quirky girl who grew up enduring tests to see just what was wrong with me. I was socially awkward and had motor deficits so severe that in the third grade I was at the level of a three year old. As a baby, I was quiet and made little or no eye contact. I was very socially interested and engaging, though, and by the time I was in sixth grade had procured lifelong friends.

I was never officially diagnosed with anything aside from 'anxiety disorder,' a diagnosis I asked for in order to get medication to temporarily easy my symptoms of anxiety and resultant depression. Later, I was diagnosed with 'MVPS,' or 'Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome,' which, bizarrely enough, seems to have a correlation with having autistic traits. My entire family is aware of their quirks. I would personally have to label us 'highly sensitive,' as per the definition.

I'm highly and bizarrely empathic, sometimes to a crippling degree. I also regularly experience what I can only call 'telepathy' with people. This isn't a rare phenomenon with me, but a common one, especially with specific people. It's hard to speak openly about it because of the taboo and stigma surrounding the subject, especially within the scientific community I so dearly love otherwise.

I'm a visual artist, occasionally taking commissions for extra money. I also like photography, specifically of strange living things I come across.
I can't live without music. I generally love anything of the complex, electronic variety, but I'll let just about any noise assault my ears.

Personally, I feel lucky to be 'weird'. I just wish most people had the capacity to understand differences and stop adhering to what is only culturally acceptable. Sometimes I have to silently ask who has the narrower, more inflexible way of living, most neurotypicals or the non-neurotypical variety?

That's pretty much the basic rundown of why I'm here. Everything else should be in my profile for those who are curious or suspicious.

So, uh...I awkwardly invite anyone who replies to tell me a little about themselves. I like to get to know the regulars and everyone active in any community I join.

P.S. Love the bird titles -- right up my alley!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 10:36 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 11:14 pm

Hi there, Orbyss. :) It's nice to meet you!

I'm IdahoRose. I'm a regular around here. I am very passionate about anime, vampires (Dracula especially) and my imaginary friends (yes I still have them at my age, haha).

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 11:43 pm

Welcome to the forums. :)

L.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 12:11 am

Nice to meet you, Orbyss. :) 8)

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 1:14 am

Hello Orbyss, I am glad you found your way here!

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 3:09 am

Hey, welcome to WP. I'm Namiko, a resident lurker who only posts occasionally nowadays and a huge fan of the Potter Puppet Pals. :D

dragonboy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 6:27 am

hi im Will welcome to wp! i was kind of a bit of a regular then i stopped using wp for a bit now im back into it. i like marvel, D&D and strategy games like magic the gathering.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Aug 2008, 3:47 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

MathMikie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2008, 5:10 pm

i understand it is hard being different people like me often get teased because we are different and some people just think we are stupid but i always tell them we are just as clever as evryone else

Aquamarine_Kitty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2008, 7:19 pm

WELCOME :D :) :P :wink: :!:

ironangel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Aug 2008, 7:57 am

hi and welcome 8)

its nice to know that you're a telepath :P

hope to mind connect with you soon 8)

PrincessSwan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Aug 2008, 5:26 pm

Welcome dude >:}
I am here for the benefit of my boyfriend, which makes us slightly similar!

HRH Swan

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 12:17 pm

Welcome to WP! :)

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

Orbyss
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 1:55 pm

Well, thanks, guys. I wish I had more time to post.

Quote:
I am here for the benefit of my boyfriend, which makes us slightly similar!

Slightly similar, hahah. Is it autistic if I actually tried to imagine a graph to represent our specific similarities? (Really, I didn't try that hard, and it was probably my guys' collective influences, anyway.)

Quote:
hope to mind connect with you soon

Hope to try to get to that today. ;)