Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Rabbit
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Dec 2005, 4:47 pm

Let's see, before I question if this is a good defintion of looser.

Makes excuses to avoid confronting difficulties indefinitely.
Sometimes forget difficulties.

Reduces failure to chance or wholly external factors so as to be unable to learn and succeed
Certainly not

Blames self excessively and feels constant guilt, low self-worth, and pessimistic attitude; ruminates on trivial worries and avoids actually solving problems
I have two items on the list (are the things on this list related to eachother).

Closes self off by being too anxious to try new things
Most people think that I am recless about trying new things.

Uses self-awareness (medical diagnoses, awareness of cognitive and physical differences) to anticipate failure rather than to find ways to compensate
They tell me that I am reckless in this area, too.

Refuses to let things slide; becomes distraught at all kinds of perceived insults and insensitivities to their needs; reluctant to forgive and forget
I let things slide when people really wanted to insult me. This works great. It drives the people who were trying to insult me batty, and never offends people who did not mean to insult me.

Believes self to be too smart, sensitive, or different to be understood by most people; feels other people are snobby, ignorant, and boorish
Maybe. If I could find two people who had the same general assesment of me, it would be easier to think that there were two people who understand me. I might postulate that the person who really understands me is my wife, but she insists that she cannot understand me. People with Asperger's may be pretty hard to understand.

Lives off others; obtains welfare income when can still work
No.

Looks for the worst in occurrences and people instead of the best
No.

Cannot admit to mistakes
No

Maybe three out of 10. I am not sure what makes these characteristic typical of loosers. Loosing implies there was something to win. Suppose a person had eight out of ten, but earned a college degree, had a great job, and won several chess tournaments would they not qualify as a winner

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2005, 6:00 pm

Hmm, how does that song go?

*sings* Soy un perdedor! I'ma loser baby so why don't you kill me! :nerdy:

I meet some, but not all, of the loser criteria. So does that mean I have Pervasive Loser Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified.....or PLD-NOS? :roll:

CRACK
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2005, 11:34 pm

All 10 of those points apply to me. But most of them I don't express at all in RL.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2005, 5:49 pm

Now if you ask most people I know, I'm a loser.

pernicious_penguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Dec 2005, 12:18 am

RobertN, I said yes, and I am what you would consider an American 'right-winger'. Don't believe your own stereotypes buddy.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2005, 5:21 pm

NeantHumain wrote:

• Makes excuses to avoid confronting difficulties indefinitely
  • Reduces failure to chance or wholly external factors so as to be unable to learn and succeed
  • Blames self excessively and feels constant guilt, low self-worth, and pessimistic attitude; ruminates on trivial worries and avoids actually solving problems
  • Closes self off by being too anxious to try new things
  • Uses self-awareness (medical diagnoses, awareness of cognitive and physical differences) to anticipate failure rather than to find ways to compensate
  • Refuses to let things slide; becomes distraught at all kinds of perceived insults and insensitivities to their needs; reluctant to forgive and forget
  • Believes self to be too smart, sensitive, or different to be understood by most people; feels other people are snobby, ignorant, and boorish
  • Lives off others; obtains welfare income when can still work
  • Looks for the worst in occurrences and people instead of the best
  • Cannot admit to mistakes

That describes in some way every single disordered person (and about 2/3 of the nondisordered people) on earth.

Plus, "loser" is an amorphous blob of indefinability. For many people, even the richest of people are "losers". Therefore, ANYONE can be a loser via another's perception. The most important thing is not to be a "loser" in one's own perception. Because this is truly a disability.

Aspergers can many times be a challenge. But it is the perception of him- or herself as a loser which can disable him or her. And this is not specific to Aspergers but can happen to ANY PERSON ON EARTH.

And, Neant, would you do me a personal favor (this is me asking as a non-mod) to cease equating SSI and Welfare with "failure" and "loser" because I find it personally VERY insulting. If I had a family to support me I wouldn't have to deal with such things, but as yet, I'm not quite so lucky. Please consider that.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

catwhowalksbyherself
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Dec 2005, 9:01 pm

Quote:
# Makes excuses to avoid confronting difficulties indefinitely
# Reduces failure to chance or wholly external factors so as to be unable to learn and succeed
# Blames self excessively and feels constant guilt, low self-worth, and pessimistic attitude; ruminates on trivial worries and avoids actually solving problems
# Closes self off by being too anxious to try new things
# Uses self-awareness (medical diagnoses, awareness of cognitive and physical differences) to anticipate failure rather than to find ways to compensate
# Refuses to let things slide; becomes distraught at all kinds of perceived insults and insensitivities to their needs; reluctant to forgive and forget
# Believes self to be too smart, sensitive, or different to be understood by most people; feels other people are snobby, ignorant, and boorish
# Lives off others; obtains welfare income when can still work
# Looks for the worst in occurrences and people instead of the best
# Cannot admit to mistakes

1. Yup.
2. Not really.
3. Not any more.
4. No.
5. Yup, did it tonight.
6. Yup.
7. Sometimes. Probably.
8. Yup, but want to break out of that cycle.
9. Probably. At the moment I'm trying to cope with that, I felt quite euphoric this morning but by this evening I was upset with things again.
10. Yup. Although Nietzsche (I think) said that regretting things was a waste of time. I suppose things that I've said or done that have hurt people I think are mistakes, I do regret, but things like decisions I can't reverse, or hunches that I've had that have turned out to be wrong (including doing an honourable man a disservice by accusing him of opportunism and manipulative behaviour)...I can't quite bring myself to regret. Not yet anyway.

I guess I am a loser then.

:(

catwhowalksbyherself
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Dec 2005, 9:05 pm

Don't get me started on politics. My shift from left to right was what brought on the AS diagnosis in the first place.

rhubarbpluscustard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2005, 3:29 pm

Yes to 1, 3, 4, 5 and 9. Half marks.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2005, 5:44 pm

You are only a loser if you believe it is impossible for you to be a winner.

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2005, 11:31 pm

Makes excuses to avoid confronting difficulties indefinitely Yes

Reduces failure to chance or wholly external factors so as to be unable to learn and succeed Some times

Blames self excessively and feels constant guilt, low self-worth, and pessimistic attitude; ruminates on trivial worries and avoids actually solving problems Yes

Closes self off by being too anxious to try new things Some times

Uses self-awareness (medical diagnoses, awareness of cognitive and physical differences) to anticipate failure rather than to find ways to compensate Some times

Refuses to let things slide; becomes distraught at all kinds of perceived insults and insensitivities to their needs; reluctant to forgive and forget Not so much any more

Believes self to be too smart, sensitive, or different to be understood by most people; feels other people are snobby, ignorant, and boorish Some times

Lives off others; obtains welfare income when can still work No

Looks for the worst in occurrences and people instead of the best Not all the time

Cannot admit to mistakes I admit to making mistakes that probably weren't even mine to begin with.

It's a sorry existence.

muddlinthrough
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Dec 2005, 1:18 pm

Who defines the game?
when did you sign up to play?

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2005, 4:59 pm

Quote:
# Makes excuses to avoid confronting difficulties indefinitely
# Reduces failure to chance or wholly external factors so as to be unable to learn and succeed
# Blames self excessively and feels constant guilt, low self-worth, and pessimistic attitude; ruminates on trivial worries and avoids actually solving problems
# Closes self off by being too anxious to try new things
# Uses self-awareness (medical diagnoses, awareness of cognitive and physical differences) to anticipate failure rather than to find ways to compensate
# Refuses to let things slide; becomes distraught at all kinds of perceived insults and insensitivities to their needs; reluctant to forgive and forget
# Believes self to be too smart, sensitive, or different to be understood by most people; feels other people are snobby, ignorant, and boorish
# Lives off others; obtains welfare income when can still work
# Looks for the worst in occurrences and people instead of the best
# Cannot admit to mistakes

Wow awesome none of those apply to me. Do I get a medal? "OMG he's an aspie and he's not a loser make him president"

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2005, 5:02 pm

catwhowalksbyherself wrote:
Don't get me started on politics. My shift from left to right was what brought on the AS diagnosis in the first place.

Nothing to do with living in reading?

pooftis
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2005, 12:41 am

[*] Makes excuses to avoid confronting difficulties indefinitely
~no, I like to deal with stuff and get on with it, the longer a situation is bad the harder time I have with it, so I tend to be proactive with difficulty.
[*] Reduces failure to chance or wholly external factors so as to be unable to learn and succeed
~Nope, I think people are completely responsible for themselves, even aspies, because we know that certain things are stressful or hard for us and we have the responsibilty to be aware of it and keep ourselves away from those things as much as possible.
[*] Blames self excessively and feels constant guilt, low self-worth, and pessimistic attitude; ruminates on trivial worries and avoids actually solving problems
~I think I am a realist, not optimistic or pessimistic, things just are what they are.
I rarely feel guilty over anything, I don't know if that is because I shouldn't feel guilty or it just isn't something that I am confronted with.
I have never had self esteem problems because at least in my mind most of those are stemmed in being bothered with what other people think, and I have never really cared what other people think.
Trivial stuff gets to me sometimes because if I have a habit of getting overly focused on things.
[*] Closes self off by being too anxious to try new things
~no, although I often get anxious about things I do all the time, like sometimes I can't face the idea of going to the store, it just becomes huge in my mind and I won't go.
[*] Uses self-awareness (medical diagnoses, awareness of cognitive and physical differences) to anticipate failure rather than to find ways to compensate
~I personally think being an aspie is an advantage, I know not everyone does, but I cannot fathom how most of the NT's I know live thier lives, I would want to kill myself if I was as ridiculuos as a lot of them, if I had the lack of focus and the flighty behavior...
[*] Refuses to let things slide; becomes distraught at all kinds of perceived insults and insensitivities to their needs; reluctant to forgive and forget
~I have no problem forgiving people, but i also don't let them back in my life, mainly because I think dwelling on things makes me miserable and they don't get affected by it anyway, but that doesn't mean I am interested in having a hurtful person around me.
[*] Believes self to be too smart, sensitive, or different to be understood by most people; feels other people are snobby, ignorant, and boorish
~I do think I am smarter than most people I meet, but that is usually the case. I doubt I am more sensitive, in fact I find most of them overly senstive. I don't expect to be understood by people that I don't understand, so it is a moot point. I don't find most people snobby, I find most people to be insecure to a point that it blinds them to things that should be obvious.
[*] Lives off others; obtains welfare income when can still work
~I moved out as soon as I graduated even though my mom didn't want me to, and when dating go dutch. I could not ever be comfortable having someone else pay for me even for a meal, something about it bothers me, so I could never et assistance unless I was incapable of finding any job due to something incapcitating.
[*] Looks for the worst in occurrences and people instead of the best
~neither, I go into things a fairly blank slate.
[*] Cannot admit to mistakes
~no, I make mistakes all the time, it is part of my "charm" Ryan says. I find it annoying when people try to make excuses and I don't have the time to waste lying to myself and other people.