Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Hollie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jan 2006, 9:14 pm

Hi, My name is Hollie and I'm new here. I watched the Dr. Phil show on extreme disorders, including A.S. and that's where I discovered this site. My 6 year old son was diagnosed with A.S. this past August and I'm just looking for other parents or individuals with A.S. that can help me learn more about the disorder as well as how to be the best parent I can be for Kyle.

Hope to hear from you all soon! :D

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 1:19 am

Welcome to the Wrong Planet there many parents here check out the forum for parents.

It is called: Parents' Discussion.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 10:15 am

Hi!

Welcome to Wrongplanet!

I hope you enjoy posting here!

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 3:07 pm

AS isn't a disease, and welcome to WP. http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/

Tekneek
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jan 2006, 3:20 pm

By already having a son that was diagnosed, I trust you know that it isn't really about violence and family dysfunction, as well as it not being a disease.

I'm an adult that has never been diagnosed, but have so many AS traits that I am almost certainly on the spectrum. I have a son, 5 years old, and a daughter, 2.5 months old, and I have contemplated seeking an official diagnosis for their sake (in case it might help if they run into problems).

Some parents I have interacted with derived great benefit from exchanging information with an adult that has been able to lead a relatively well functioning life (the marriage part was a bit difficult until we stumbled upon the existence of AS and my wife does quite well dealing with it now, and I am able to understand our differences as well). If you ever have any questions, please feel free to ask. This is by far the best Aspie board I've found and I feel the most comfortable here as compared to the others I used to read/visit when I first discovered Asperger's Syndrome.

Welcome to the board.

Hollie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jan 2006, 5:31 pm

Sarcastic_Name wrote:

I didn't refer to AS as a "disease", I referred to it as a "disorder". I have apparently already managed to offend others and I apologize for that. It truly was not my intention.

alblurt_06
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jan 2006, 6:46 pm

Welcome!

AS isn't a disease, as everyone has said. It's a gift. Enjoy it!

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 9:18 pm

Welcome Hollie.

Sarcastic_Name can speak for himself but I don't think he was offended. Dr. Phil called AS a disease. I think S_N was reacting to that.

I hope you enjoy reading the forums and I look forward to reading more about you and your child.

BeeBee

Tekneek
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2006, 5:37 am

Hollie wrote:
Sarcastic_Name wrote:

I didn't refer to AS as a "disease", I referred to it as a "disorder". I have apparently already managed to offend others and I apologize for that. It truly was not my intention.

No, no. Dr. Phil did, and since you heard of the site on Dr. Phil some of us were just mentioning that. I don't think you offended anyone!

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2006, 10:41 am

Sorry bout that, you said "disorder" after saying "Dr. Phil", and so I registered the word "disorder" as "disease" without even reading it all the way. I do that sometimes, and normally catch myself. I wan't offended. :D Welcome again!

Hollie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jan 2006, 11:52 am

Sarcastic_Name wrote:
Sorry bout that, you said "disorder" after saying "Dr. Phil", and so I registered the word "disorder" as "disease" without even reading it all the way. I do that sometimes, and normally catch myself. I wan't offended. :D Welcome again!

I've made the same mistake myself. I'm sure we all have. I'm glad I haven't offended you or anyone else. Like I said, that's not my intention here. I didn't agree with Dr. Phil's entire show, but I did appreciate the fact that SOMEONE is at least mentioning it. With my son having AS, I know there is so much more to it than what his show covered in the 30 minutes allowed. My son does have the outbursts sometimes however. I don't like to refer to them as meltdowns...not sure why. I understand that he doesn't have the control over it that some people do but I don't understand what the best way to handle those times is. If any of you have any advice for me, please feel free to let me know.

I was in Wal-Mart with my mother and son one day and as we were checking out he was having one of his outbursts. It wasn't over candy or anything, it was over the fact that we had to wait in line to pay before we could go home. He just wanted to be home. My mom went to another check out line for her purchases hoping to save a little time. The woman standing behind my mother said to her husband that if he (referring to Kyle) was her kid she would whip his ass! My mom told me as we walked out and it infuriated me that she would just assume he was being a brat and not even think that there may be more to it. I met her in the parking lot as I was packing my trunk and told her that if whipping his ass was her answer to the problem, then I certainly hoped she wasn't the mother of any special needs children. I'm not sure that was the right way, but it made me feel better for the moment.

Just looking for all the help I can find. Thanks for the suggestions I've received so far.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2006, 12:49 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. :D

The Parent's Forum is a great place to talk about your Adventures in Mothering. I'd also like to say that I'm not offended by the word, Disorder. I've heard worse words. I hope that you and your Son are healthy and well, and I hope that your Son grows up to be Sucessful. :D

Tekneek
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2006, 1:01 pm

Hollie wrote:
The woman standing behind my mother said to her husband that if he (referring to Kyle) was her kid she would whip his ass! My mom told me as we walked out and it infuriated me that she would just assume he was being a brat and not even think that there may be more to it. I met her in the parking lot as I was packing my trunk and told her that if whipping his ass was her answer to the problem, then I certainly hoped she wasn't the mother of any special needs children. I'm not sure that was the right way, but it made me feel better for the moment.

I admire that and your son is very lucky to have you. If a parent isn't willing to stand up for their child, who will? I think that will be very important over the next decade as he becomes an adult. Not that it will always be easy, but I really believe that when he learns how you will be his advocate it will make things easier for him.

Jetgirl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Jan 2006, 6:35 pm

Hey Hollie

My son R is 6 years old, he was diagnosed last month. It is really amazing to finally understand a little of what is going on. R and I have always been very close. It seems I can get into his world and understand what's happening because I am on the spectrum too. I have been reading for the last two days and the information here is wonderful. It is great to get some insight into what's coming or potentially coming for our children. Advice and tips have helped calm R and reduced his frustration when peers misunderstand him. R use to consume 80% of my effort each day, that's hard on his two siblings. Now things are alot more manageable. It's nice to hear from someone with a young AS child.

P.S.: R doesn't have tantrums, he cries. It's a real heart breaker. What I do is hug him and bury his head in my shirt, I don't say a word. Sometimes the hug lasts 15 minutes. I think it has something to do with needing down time, I've read about it in some of the other threads. Make sure your guy isn't sensitive to touch though.

Later

Jetgirl.