THE MISUSE OF NEWS AND CURRENT EVENTS NEEDS TO STOP

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 8:13 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
[mod]

This is News and Current Events, not PPR. Please avoid accusations of bad-faith against other users. This is not the place for mudslinging. Talk about the news story rather than ascribing sinister motives to the people who raise it.

B19 wrote:
This is News and Current Events, not PPR. We don't want the strawmens, the backbiting, the tribalism topdogging in this forum, which has recently been spoiling it for many members - the PPR tactics tend to be perpetuated here by the same handful of members again and again. Keep it over in PPR please and try to let others enjoy this forum again, without fear of the PPR rough and tumble aggro which lately and continually derails news topics. Flaming in any forum is against the rules, so keep the posts on track please.

The topic is the Insect Apocalypse, the thread can continue if it stays focused and reasonably cordial.

This problem occurs because there are those who misuse News and Current Events to promote political views, try to influence voters or whatever political motivation other than just sharing a news and current events story.

As the US presidential election draws closer more and more threads that belong in PPR are going to be posted to News and Current Events. In 2018 (which was another US election year) News and Current Events was flooded with such threads.

The latest post to News and Current Events at the time I am writing this is a prime example. The type of political article from The Daily Beast and what the OP wrote is probably going to create a PPR type of debate.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2019, 12:42 am

I have to agree. Quite a lot of the posts go well beyond the posting of a news article. The discussions go way off topic and some posters are very defensive and offensive about their positions. Not that it doesn’t make for interesting reading at times, but it’s not in the right spot.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2019, 2:37 am

I think there's also a certain amount of button pushing trolling going on as well.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2019, 3:10 am

as well as feeding the trolls

a lot

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2019, 5:02 am

As political news is often current events and current events often have political implications I have always been confused as to why there are two separate sections for news and current events and PPR and where to post certain articles. Sometimes it is obvious to me such as an article discussing the chances of Joe Biden winning the nomination belongs in the politics section. OTOH discussion of the London Bridge stabbings will unavoidably will turn political. If I censor the political ramifications because it is the wrong section I will leave out an important part of that current event.

Since when has it become OK to ascribe nefarious motive to members in PPR?

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 03 Dec 2019, 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2019, 8:06 am

In some cases it's pretty obvious the OP has an anti whatever agenda that is better suited for PPR.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2019, 8:13 am

I post a lot of threads on news and current events,I have not seen a lot of problems on my threads.Grant it my threads are pure news and not usually political a lot are local news from my area that I share with WP,I often try to share funny stories but I honestly have not seem much abuse of news forum from my point of view.

Some news stories that other people post are political and they will in nature inspire debate,I think this is reasonable,I don't think news should be posted in PPR just because a little debate might arise.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2019, 9:17 am

EzraS wrote:
This problem occurs because there are those who misuse News and Current Events to promote political views, try to influence voters or whatever political motivation other than just sharing a news and current events story...
The mods know who these people are (heck, we all do), so why don't the mods just ban them and let the rest of us get back to enjoying this website in peace?

“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Dec 2019, 5:17 pm

Fnord wrote:
EzraS wrote:
This problem occurs because there are those who misuse News and Current Events to promote political views, try to influence voters or whatever political motivation other than just sharing a news and current events story...
The mods know who these people are (heck, we all do), so why don't the mods just ban them and let the rest of us get back to enjoying this website in peace?

Because then there would be nobody left.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2019, 8:31 pm

:shameonyou: :-D

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2019, 10:29 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
As political news is often current events and current events often have political implications I have always been confused as to why there are two separate sections for news and current events and PPR and where to post certain articles. Sometimes it is obvious to me such as an article discussing the chances of Joe Biden winning the nomination belongs in the politics section. OTOH discussion of the London Bridge stabbings will unavoidably will turn political. If I censor the political ramifications because it is the wrong section I will leave out an important part of that current event.

Since when has it become OK to ascribe nefarious motive to members in PPR?

I agree with this. We all have political views; no one has a view from nowhere, so of course, our postings in the news forum will often have political motivations if the subject is political or has political ramifications.

And I also agree that deciding whether to post in News and Current Events or PPR is often confusing. I generally use the rubric of, Is it current? If it is, then I will post it in the news forum. But if it's more general, or I'm bringing up something that hasn't really been in the news lately, then I'll post it in PPR.

And yeah, it's kinda irritating when you're discussing something and simply saying things how you view them, and for that you get accused of plotting world domination or something. :lol:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2019, 4:44 am

beneficii wrote:
And yeah, it's kinda irritating when you're discussing something and simply saying things how you view them, and for that you get accused of plotting world domination or something. :lol:

You should be flattered that I think you're personally capable of world domination.

You're quite clearly a real life Dr. Evil. I bet you have secret base of operations hidden inside a dormant volcano.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2019, 4:59 am

Fnord wrote:
EzraS wrote:

This. I don't quite agree with banning them, at least not permanently, but obviously if the mods don't want News and Current Events to be treated like PPR, those are the people they need to lean into to discourage them from starting such threads.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2019, 8:28 pm

EzraS wrote:
Fnord wrote:
EzraS wrote:

This. I don't quite agree with banning them, at least not permanently, but obviously if the mods don't want News and Current Events to be treated like PPR, those are the people they need to lean into to discourage them from starting such threads.

Perhaps it’s not so much the “starting” of the threads, because they often do begin with news, but rather, the discussion could be moved to PPR with a link when it gets heavily political or off topic.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2019, 9:18 pm

It's impossible for the News and Current Events subforum NOT to be political

The News has always been something political. It was actually much worse in the 19th century than it is now. But we are devolving back, perhaps, to those days.