I had to use a VPN to get to the site

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Gentleman Argentum
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Mar 2020, 8:34 pm

I am not a hacker or bad guy. I just forgot my login details. I am a middle-aged man. I have over 200 passwords total and, in this case, it turned out I had the right password, but simply forgot that my username actually has an unusual syntax: a space between "Gentleman" and "Argentum".

Well, due to many failed password attempts I guess, the site blocked my IP address! I did write in a complaint and also managed to effect a password reset, but never got the email, and did not get unblocked.

Then I recalled last time this happened to me I was able to get around it by using VPN.

Sorry if that is considered bad but I am just trying to access my user account and I don't always remember everything.

I am glad to be back at last.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Mar 2020, 12:27 pm

Nothing for you to apologise for. That is very odd. In my experience, the site starts playing up if I connect with my VPN so I’m glad it worked for you.

(For clarity, I am a moderator not an administrator. I am pretty sure I do not have the power to issue an IP ban and whatever happened to you would have been automated. I can’t say whether it was by WrongPlanet itself or by one of the constituent services that make it up.)

cosine
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Mar 2020, 1:45 pm

good password management software can remember the password, your login name (user name for most sites), and your registration email (in case you give special ones to sites you suspect might sell it to spammers). some even integrates with the browser to automate it.

Gentleman Argentum
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Mar 2020, 5:36 am

I eventually discovered what the problem was on my own.
I had forgotten that there is a space in my username, between the Gentleman and the Argentum.
Due to repeated login failures, less than ten, my I.P. address was banned.
I then realized my error, and rather than wait on the site admins to rectify matters, I simply browsed the site through a VPN.
I was then able to log in like normal, and my problem was over.
Of course, the powers that be must ban an I.P. that is trying to hack into an account; I don't see any way around that security precaution. Otherwise accounts would get hacked left and right by brute force.