Page 13 of 42 [ 667 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 42  Next

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Aug 2020, 1:55 pm

^One thing I did notice on the home page there is that when you join you have the option of having the political forum or leaving it unchecked so you can avoid it altogether. I think WP would do well to make the PPR thread optional as well. If we had admin tools that would be one of the first things I'd do. then people could even banned only from PPR but might be perfectly fine and inoffensive elsewhere.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 2:18 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Alex_2x4 wrote:
magz wrote:
Please, do not counter-bully. It can turn any conversation into a toxic fight.
If you believe you are bullied by another member, start with something like "leave me alone" and, if you believe it's serious, let the mods know.
If you believe someone else is bullied by another user, start with something like "leave <member> alone" and, if you believe it's serious, let the mods know.

Please explain where bullying and counter-bullying occurred I'm perplexed ( probably how Fnord feels )
Stick around WP for another 2,000 posts and you will see it.Counter bullying is when people fight back after being attacked,you see it here often enough.

Sometimes a person perceived something as an attack when it's not because of how it was worded or written. Many of us here have autism or communication issues so you can get attacked randomly because they perhaps thought you were attacking them. I have had that happen to me and when anyone does that to me, I just put them on my ignore or block list or make a mental note in my mind to not ever interact with them since we have no way of hiding posts here from users.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 4:00 pm

hurtloam wrote:
... As soon as someone starts a thread he's in there telling them they're stupid...
Evidence, please?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 4:08 pm

Brictoria wrote:
... he is one of those people who like to push the boundary to see how far it stretches...
Evidence, please?

What are these "Boundaries" of which you speak?

Even if these so-called "Boundaries" existed, what rule prohibits the "Pushing of Boundaries"?

Complaining about pushing imaginary boundaries just doesn't seem right.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 4:17 pm

Brictoria wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Alex_2x4 wrote:
... Cyberbullying differs from a disagreement when it is intentional, recurring, and causes harm to the target (victim).
Intent can only be determined by explicit statements like "I'm gonna get you banned!"
Intent can also be determined by a user continually pushing against the boundaries to see what the can "get away with"...
Intent can only be presumed, not proven.  Besides, what ever happened to "Presumed innocent until proven guilty"?  Neither your accusations nor your presumptions can prove that a rules violation has occurred, especially when there is no supporting evidence.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 4:41 pm

I don’t like it when my words are misinterpreted.

I never feel that vulnerable people should just “suck it up.”

All I’m saying is that people who insult others—especially when they don’t know the person and have the anonymity of being online—are the ones who feel “less” than others.

These people who insult online frequently don’t have the courage to insult somebody to their face.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 4:46 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don’t like it when my words are misinterpreted.

I never feel that vulnerable people should just “suck it up.”

All I’m saying is that people who insult others—especially when they don’t know the person and have the anonymity of being online—are the ones who feel “less” than others.

These people who insult online frequently don’t have the courage to insult somebody to their face.

Yes that is true. Sorry, I tend to use hyperbole to make a point, which I really shouldn't do on an aspie forum.

I'm just saying the people with such low self esteem that they want to make bitey comments should get kicked to the curb rather than tolerated. Simply ignoring them is still toleration because what they say could adversely affect a gentler soul.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 4:52 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Here's a question. To all of you saying, "but we're just misunderstood aspies", Why do you think
www.autismforums.com doesn't have these issues? A lot of us have migrated over there. It's a much nicer place.

I really think Wrong Planet has had its day and it's time to end it.

It's definitely much nicer. People honestly only seem to think it's strict because they know they wouldn't get away with the scat-flinging they do here on a daily basis. As for people here crying about being "misunderstood aspies", you can be a misunderstood aspie there, too. You just can't vent all of your frustrations on other members, derail threads with off topic, condescending remarks, and then cry wolf when people tell you to knock it off.

All of the slight design choices people use to justify it being a site they'd never use is also funny, I found this site even more off putting than AutismForums when I started using it but didn't upturn my nose at it and call it unusable. It's a lot more stable and I have never had to do a CAPTCHA once on there, maybe besides for signing up, and the CAPTCHA's on here literally send me to a blank page where I have to back out of it anyways to send anything, never mind the fact they sometimes eat my response. The likes also aren't a part of an upvote/downvote system, it seems like people just use it as an "agree" or "I saw this" button, which is a lot nicer than having 100 views on your post but also zero responses at all. There are also "agree", "informative", "useful", "creative", etc. reactions to use, so no negative ones.

tldr: People on this site are whining about AutismForums just because it's not WrongPlanet and they know they couldn't get away with being childish as much on there.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 4:59 pm

I honestly am a fan of both websites.

I’m more used to WP, though. And there still remains lots of good in it.

We do have to make WP safer for the more vulnerable. I know how it feels to be vulnerable. I almost didn’t come out of autism because I was always scared of everything as a child.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 5:52 pm

If McCarthyism is the practice of making accusations of subversion or treason without proper regard for evidence, then what should be called the act of making accusations of bullying or trolling without proper regard for evidence?

Redd_Kross
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Aug 2020, 5:55 pm

Apparently my current WP 'level' is Sea Gull.

That needs changing to Seagull forthwith.

It's already bugging the hell out of me.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 6:00 pm

Redd_Kross wrote:
Apparently my current WP 'level' is Sea Gull.  That needs changing to Seagull forthwith.  It's already bugging the hell out of me.
Just keep posting and it will change, eventually.

Redd_Kross
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Aug 2020, 6:08 pm

Fnord wrote:
Redd_Kross wrote:
Apparently my current WP 'level' is Sea Gull.  That needs changing to Seagull forthwith.  It's already bugging the hell out of me.
Just keep posting and it will change, eventually.

That's NOT the point. It is wrong for everyone else who reaches that level too.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 6:11 pm

Every so often people complain about Fnord but he has been here since 2008 and has not been banned. This means Fnord will likely be a "downside" of WP for some members for the foreseeable future. All members have the option of ignoring Fnord be it by not reading his posts or his replies to your posts.

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 7:08 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
... All members have the option of ignoring Fnord be it by not reading his posts or his replies to your posts.
This is probably the best advice, so far.  Thank you.

Steve1963
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Aug 2020, 7:15 pm

Fnord wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
... All members have the option of ignoring Fnord be it by not reading his posts or his replies to your posts.
This is probably the best advice, so far.  Thank you.

It's been working well for me.