View Your Posts - what does it all mean?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2021, 3:25 pm

Is there docs someplace describing what the different on screen indicators mean in "View Your Posts"?

I see there are arrows for things I haven't read in a while - but sometime there is an arrow even if I have read everything in a thread and I am the last one to post. If I log out and log back in it seems to reset.

Some threads have a blinking / heart-beating type animated icon. I am not really sure why or if there are more than two states for this icon.

If the answer is RTFM please also show me where to find the Fine Manual.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2021, 3:28 pm

Fenn wrote:
Is there docs someplace describing what the different on screen indicators mean in "View Your Posts"?

I see there are arrows for things I haven't read in a while - but sometime there is an arrow even if I have read everything in a thread and I am the last one to post. If I log out and log back in it seems to reset.

Some threads have a blinking / heart-beating type animated icon. I am not really sure why or if there are more than two states for this icon.

If the answer is RTFM please also show me where to find the Fine Manual.

The blinking icon means there's new responses to a thread you've posted in.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2021, 7:39 pm

Why are they sometimes green and sometimes white?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2021, 8:49 pm

I can't even see the difference between green and white, because my vision is so bad. I've never noticed arrows. I didn't know what a sticky was until I'd already been a member for two years. Otherwise, I gave up trying to understand all those weird symbols long ago and I completely ignore them now.

I'd be curious to know what it all means too, though!

toadsnail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Mar 2021, 9:44 pm

Apparently one of those tiny icons (Image, to the left of a thread title) is supposed to get me straight to the first post of the thread that I haven't read yet, but it doesn't seem to work. Also for some reason sometimes that icon disappears when I read the latest page of a thread, but sometimes it doesn't. It seems random.

When I want to see the latest responses to a thread, I click the icon Image to the right of the name of the person who posted the last response, then work my way back to the first reply I haven't read yet.

Green icons in general [are supposed to] mean "you haven't read all posts in this thread". Moving icons Image mean "this thread has a lot of responses", and a black dot Image means it's a thread you've responded to (all the threads in the "View Your Posts" screen will have that black dot).

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2021, 9:50 pm

I do reverse chronology, so the first post in a thread is the newest. The oldest ones are at the end. It works for me because I can see the thread title directly over top of the most recent post, and I'm positioned to respond.

I can't even see the difference of green and white in my PM inbox. They aren't distinct enough even considering I use a dark black background screen. I only know I have PM if my indicator number says so.

toadsnail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Mar 2021, 10:01 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I can't even see the difference of green and white in my PM inbox. They aren't distinct enough even considering I use a dark black background screen. I only know I have PM if my indicator number says so.

There was a forum site that I tried to participate in once, it always said "1 new message" in the upper right corner even though there were none. It was driving crazy. I think I only lasted a few hours there because of it. :lol:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2021, 10:11 pm

My indicator often fails and says (0). I can't tell by looking at my list of PM if any of them aren't read yet.

I have my screen enlarged and I wear nerd-strength reading glasses but I still can't see if the thingies are green or white. Sometimes I just have to open the top message and scroll back in the conversation on my screen to see if there were comments I haven't noticed. That only works if the title of the PM conversation hasn't changed.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2021, 8:59 pm

Toadsnail is my new hero. I didn't know any of that.

toadsnail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Apr 2021, 9:06 pm

Haha glad to be of help! :)

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

03 Apr 2021, 11:35 am

Image - Unread announcement
Image - Read announcement
Image - Unread sticky topic
Image - Read sticky topic
Image - Unread topic
Image - Read topic
Image - Unread topic that you have posted in
Image - Read topic that you have posted in
Image - Unread hot topic
Image - Read hot topic
Image - Unread locked topic
Image - Read locked topic
Image - Moved topic
Image - Go to last unread post in the topic
Image - Go to last read post in the topic

I think that's all of the basic set used here.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 8:27 pm

Thanks, Cornflake!